USAirways inflight entertainment

Old Jan 15, 13, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

USAirways inflight entertainment

We had a choice flying from the DC area to SFO and typically go out of our way to fly USAirways. Even though this would have meant a change of planes in CLT or PHX, we would have done it had there been inflight entertainment. On flights this long, it is an important factor in our decision. I hope the airline's management understands that they lose business because of this. They lost ours -- 4 roundtrip tickets.
Old Jan 15, 13, 4:01 pm

The marginal revenue (your tickets) dont out-weigh the marginal costs of installation and licensing fees for the entertainment.

Most people have Ipads, Ipods, tablets, etc that contain a wealth of entertainment that is relevant to their choices and needs. US made the decision to forgo the marginal ticket for the long-term savings on not installing / maintaining a system.

Its a pretty simple choice they made. If you want entertainment bring your own.
Old Jan 15, 13, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by gottigotti View Post
The marginal revenue (your tickets) dont out-weigh the marginal costs of installation and licensing fees for the entertainment.

Most people have Ipads, Ipods, tablets, etc that contain a wealth of entertainment that is relevant to their choices and needs. US made the decision to forgo the marginal ticket for the long-term savings on not installing / maintaining a system.

^ I am at a loss as to why anyone still wants IFE provided by the airline. The only IFE I've ever needed is my iPod and a book.
Old Jan 15, 13, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
I am at a loss as to why anyone still wants IFE provided by the airline. The only IFE I've ever needed is my iPod and a book.
If we are talking domestic USA then I agree 100%. Even on a transcon, I'll read or have my iPod.

Longhaul flights are another story. If I'm flying 10 hours from FCO-PHL or 16 hours JFK-HKG I'll need more than meal service to occupy my time!
Old Jan 15, 13, 4:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
^ I am at a loss as to why anyone still wants IFE provided by the airline. The only IFE I've ever needed is my iPod and a book.
While that may be true for some people, not everyone has IFE devices and if they don't travel very often, they aren't going to purchase one just for that. If you're someone who travels once a year, and you're going on a long flight, I don't blame someone for considering only airlines with IFE.
Old Jan 15, 13, 9:23 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by gottigotti View Post
Yet US is going to have Go-Go Vision for IFE so sees some advantage to having it or disadvantage to not. It's aimed at the portion of passengers like those who claim that there's no need for IFE - those with WiFi-enabled mobile devices, preferably with a big enough screen to make viewing movies or other entertainment enjoyable.

Jim
Old Jan 15, 13, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I agree, I'm another one who when I see US as the cheapest option for an itinerary I fly, I weigh the fact they have no IFE. I love technology and my iPad, but have no desire to pre-plan my entertainment options just because an airline is too cheap to provide ANYTHING.

And the fact US doesn't supply power ports on wifi equipped planes makes that a no go as well, almost out of principle than anything else. One of the many stupid blunders they've made, but if they are making enough money from the kettles, more power to em...
Old Jan 16, 13, 5:26 am

Two comments.
1. Live tv is valuable on a long haul especially if you are a sports fan.
2 go go vision without power outlets is useless.
Old Jan 16, 13, 8:43 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tttony View Post
Two comments.
2 go go vision without power outlets is useless.
Most tablets can make it 6 hours (PHL-SFO) without a recharge, so I wouldn't say it's worthless. Before tablets I would've agreed since most laptop batteries don't stand a chance. I think it's a forward looking move by US -- why pay to license content most people on the plane won't want to watch?

Anytime I've walked to the back of a 321 for the lav almost everyone on the plane is watching something on their iPad or working on a laptop. Most people are already bringing their own IFE.
Old Jan 16, 13, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post

And the fact US doesn't supply power ports on wifi equipped planes makes that a no go as well, almost out of principle than anything else.
I would very much like to see inclusion of power outlets as we move forward. Even if it is only on certain seats - maybe the preferred/choice seats and F cabin..

This is one of the biggest service enhancements I wish they'd implement.
Old Jan 16, 13, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I would very much like to see inclusion of power outlets as we move forward. Even if it is only on certain seats - maybe the preferred/choice seats and F cabin..

This is one of the biggest service enhancements I wish they'd implement.
+1

As far as IFE goes, I only really care about it on international flights. Even on airlines that do have it, like UA, I rarely used it. I preferred to listen to channel 9 (ATC) domestically. Most of the movies they showed I didn't want to watch anyway.

If it came down to a choice between IFE and power, I'd take power. Every time.
Old Jan 16, 13, 12:04 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Power ports would be great. Maybe if we merge with AA we will see it.

IFE's are great and I hate we took them off. I wish we had live tv as well. It's just a nice option. The removing the IFE's years ago was a shoot from the hip decision that was based on fuel price but has now been placed on the "the flying public habits have changed" mantra.

That being said, while wifi needs to be better priced and I'm hoping the improved system for movies eases the critiques of no IFE a bit, it really is a better system from an inflight point of view. Oh my, when things go bad with IFE systems, it makes for a challenging flight. AGAIN, I desire the IFE systems, but the worst complaint with wifi is pricing or the occasional time the system actually goes down.
Old Jan 16, 13, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by flight62 View Post
Power ports would be great. Maybe if we merge with AA we will see it.

IFE's are great and I hate we took them off. I wish we had live tv as well. It's just a nice option. The removing the IFE's years ago was a shoot from the hip decision that was based on fuel price but has now been placed on the "the flying public habits have changed" mantra.

That being said, while wifi needs to be better priced and I'm hoping the improved system for movies eases the critiques of no IFE a bit, it really is a better system from an inflight point of view. Oh my, when things go bad with IFE systems, it makes for a challenging flight. AGAIN, I desire the IFE systems, but the worst complaint with wifi is pricing or the occasional time the system actually goes down.
My biggest gripe is that it's typically slow to the point of being unusable.

I look forward to the 4G upgrade.
Old Jan 16, 13, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hhonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
I agree with the fact that yes I do have the portable equipment, but dislike having to pre-plan new content for flights. Still love Jet Blue for their DIsplays and live TV.

And would it really be that expensive to add audio channels? AT least I have something to listen to from Take Off to Landing that way.
Old Jan 16, 13, 6:33 pm

I still do not understand the lack of power ports. Hopefully they will take of this deficiency sooner rather than later. I typically only use the in-flight entertainment once my computer dies.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: