Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food Bag now considered carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
The policy actually says that food brought on board for in flight consumption is not included in the carry on limits. Bags of food that arent going to be consumed in flight are carry ons. Not necessarily saying that was the case here but it could be.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by FrankieM
This is the key. If you would've just said okay, let the GA tag it, then not leave it at the bottom of the jetway, all this would've been avoided. I've had GAs at PHX say my bag was to big to fit in the over head on A319 (which I fly every week). It's a lot easier to just say okay and put it in an overhead than anything else.
Is the bag within the carry on guidelines or does it just happen to fit on the planes? And just because the bag flies with you every week doesnt mean its an acceptable bag.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Flew back from HNL to SFO with carryon luggage for a long weekend once on a really cheap fare, and had a HNL UA GA unpleasantly try to nab me for a sandwich in a medium sized plastic grocery bag from the airport shop, claiming it was a third carry on after my rollaboard and small backpack. I told her it was my dinner, and ignored her.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by samgvb
You should ask for compensation
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
I flew BOS-LGA two days ago with my carry-on, laptop backpack and a box of Mike's canolli!! Not a problem, except that everyone (from the TSA agent to the GA) wanted one!!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
I flew BOS-LGA two days ago with my carry-on, laptop backpack and a box of Mike's canolli!! Not a problem, except that everyone (from the TSA agent to the GA) wanted one!!
Leave the carry-on, take the cannoli.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
ah! you see you left that part out of the story! the way you told it it left it open for us to possibly draw the conclusion that this was payback. on the other hand, if it was all sorted because the person behind offered to switch, what was the need to know all about your wife being asked to move etc etc?
The reason I indicated about my wife being asked to move is that we were both at the podium about to board together with our carry-ons in view. After she indicated she didn't want to move, he told me to wait cause he was still trying to do a reseat; she went down the jetway to ensure there was bin space.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
The gate agent saw me with my wife as she had indicated to him she didnt want to switch seats so he scanned her bp asked me to hold up while he dealt with family issue and when he resolved it scanned my bp and then told me i had to check my bag, I then indicated it was my wife's. He then said well it doesnt natter because he saw her walk on with a purse and bag of food and that was considered two items.
It would have been awesome if she had handed him the bag of popcorn to send as checked luggage.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:54 pm

I might know this guy, or his twin. [Remainder edited -- in a fit of weirdness, I thought it appropriate to thread hijack to post my own carry on story. Nevermind. Carry on. :0) ]

Last edited by lkar; Jan 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.