US Airways/LH Flight - (CLT-FRA-FLR)

Old Jan 10, 13, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive, Marriott Silver
US Airways/LH Flight - (CLT-FRA-FLR)

I wanted to see if anyone has flown the international flight below and could give me some insight on the FRA connection.

CLT-FRA (#704) 8:20 PM - 11:00 AM - 2/15/13
FRA-FLR (#5876) 12:00 -1:30 PM- 2/16/13

The connection in Fra is really short and wanted to see if anyone has had issues making the LH conection to Florence, Italy. I wasn't sure on customs and the gate distances. Also I am having problems using my CP Envoy certs. for this flight - was able to use them on my return. Any advice on that subject would also be apprecited.

Thanks for any info.
Old Jan 10, 13, 7:59 am

Programs: Alaska-MVP75k; AA-Plat; HH-Gold; Hertz Gold
I wouldn't do a 1-hour connection in FRA - especially one that involves a transit from non-Schengen to Schengen zone. You would have to clear passport control, security, etc.

Re: CP certs - just keep calling and trying. The process sucks.
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Agree on the 1-hour connection. Not enough. If you get a flight with too much connection time, use the time to take a shower and relax for a bit.
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:07 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I wouldn't do a one hour connection at FRA unless it was non-Schengen to non-Schengen or Schengen to Schengen. It just leaves no room for error. It's even worse on the return with the gate that US uses at FRA.
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
I think you are in good shape.

On the CP certificates: The fact that you have actually been able to get half the trip taken care of this far in advance is good news. And, yes, it's a shame that we have to call back continuously. But at five weeks out, for an international flight in the middle of February, the fact that half the seats (or more) in F show empty in a mock booking suggests that callbacks will pay off. This could be last minute; and, yes, there are last-minute full-fare customers who could swoop in. On the other hand, those same full-fare types are the ones who are most wont to cancel last minute, even after OLCI has begun, so don't talk yourself out of using the CP cert.

As for the tight connection, everyone is correct that it is dicey. But it could work, and that would be great. If it doesn't, you will be fine: You're CP, and this is a connection offered by US/LH, so if things are already slow-moving in CLT, they'll pre-protect you. Sure, you could end up not leaving until the 4:35 or whatever LH non-stop; or going at 1pm via MUC ... but those would be your only choices anyhow in "playing it safe." If you rebooked through PHL, you will have a lousier TATL set of take-off and arrival (read: "sleep") times, and now you'll have to worry about applying the CP certs on 2 flights.
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:03 am

Programs: US- CP; Le Club Accor- Silver
I had what I thought would be an acceptable (90 minute, very early morning) US-LH connection in FRA once and vowed I would never do it again. The passport line wasn't bad, but I thought the distances were vast and following the signs to my Schengen gate hit me with 2 different security screens. If I have to connect to Italy now, I do it in MUC.

I agree that half the trip upgraded in advance via CP certs is a win, and you should keep calling back to check availability on the other half of your trip.
Old Jan 16, 13, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive, Marriott Silver
Thanks for all the opinions - very helpful.
I did a dummy booking for the departure leg and it looks like the Envoy section is sold out - even though there are five seats available on the seat map. What is your preferred Economy seats on the 330-300? Thanks
Old Jan 16, 13, 2:19 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
Agree on the 1-hour connection. Not enough. If you get a flight with too much connection time, use the time to take a shower and relax for a bit.
Agree x2. I'm not sure I'd even try it via MUC... then again the Senators Lounge is so nice, I add time to shower and have breakfast (and impress brother, though I did leave him in Y!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: