Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maybe Prematurely regretting CP purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess I am not the only one that books a321 due to the 16F seats. I have an upcoming clt-den with 3 other people. I counted 18 preferred seats taken so I just went ahead and used my miles. A big perk as preferred not to have to also use cash.

Trip home only count 12 preferred seats so going to roll the dice.

I thought about buying up to CP from Gold but felt the price was not worth it if on some trips I could use miles and lock in the upgrade.

I only value miles at 1 penny per mile.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bighead1970
I guess I am not the only one that books a321 due to the 16F seats. I have an upcoming clt-den with 3 other people. I counted 18 preferred seats taken so I just went ahead and used my miles. A big perk as preferred not to have to also use cash.

Trip home only count 12 preferred seats so going to roll the dice.

I thought about buying up to CP from Gold but felt the price was not worth it if on some trips I could use miles and lock in the upgrade.

I only value miles at 1 penny per mile.
My main reason for liking the A321s are, Wifi, and they are newer with the updated interior... Once US add's WiFi to the entire fleet, then it wont be that big of a deal.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:32 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
To put it another way, using this alternative-route-to-FC-metric, you need to get $1,500 / $90 ~ 17 upgraded segments more than you would have gotten as a US Gold to make your buy-up "worth-it," before you take into account the CP line, the CP certs, and the extra bonus miles.
OP, This is the most important metric
I think you will be quite satisfied after a year;
You should report back in this thread after a few months with updates
I have never regretted the first buy up in 2009
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Everybody has given you some great advice, I think they all missed one important point, your flight times. Monday AM, everybody is flying out to big business centers like ORD. can you take the next flight or flyout Sunday evening?
This is so true. Last year I did 40-45 inbound trips between PHX-PHL (outbound via another route) both US hubs, and my flight is the last flight or second last flight out of PHX, so obviously plenty of CPs. My UG rate is only two failed UG out of those, so around 95-97% UG rate. Both failed UG were for a good reason, at least I try to console myself. First one was the Thursday just before Thanksgiving, the other is the Thursday just before Xmas.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:00 pm

That being said, while it's hard to put a number at CP/Platinum/Gold, is CP really worth $1500? Wouldn't it be better to buy Gold from those who got it as their special dividends? Or even to get the credit card with Silver and work from there?

Like I said before, maybe there's something that I missed, why would anybody want to pay that kind of money for that? Maybe I just didn't realise how much work I did to get mine.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rhodius
That being said, while it's hard to put a number at CP/Platinum/Gold, is CP really worth $1500? Wouldn't it be better to buy Gold from those who got it as their special dividends? Or even to get the credit card with Silver and work from there?

Like I said before, maybe there's something that I missed, why would anybody want to pay that kind of money for that? Maybe I just didn't realise how much work I did to get mine.
Hello again Rhodius! Yes I bought a club membership and yes I bought up to CP (this year from Silver)! The buy-up was pricey but I got the certs right away and already used them and I will get another set in two months, so for me it was worth it because I hate to fly in coach to/from Europe!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Well..you guys asked that I report back after a few weeks. Here it goes. I've flown about 10 times, since becoming Chairman. I have received 1 upgrade. I just got the welcome to CP email this week, and this week was the upgrade. I'm wondering if, even though my account showed the CP, it didn't take effect in UsAir's system until now. Who knows, but at this point, it appears to be--for me--a waste of money.
I fly the same route CLT-ORD Sunday afternoon, or Monday Am, and return Thursday 6:25. I'm not willing to rearrange my times, dates, etc, just to get an upgrade.
Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Well..you guys asked that I report back after a few weeks. Here it goes. I've flown about 10 times, since becoming Chairman. I have received 1 upgrade. I just got the welcome to CP email this week, and this week was the upgrade. I'm wondering if, even though my account showed the CP, it didn't take effect in UsAir's system until now. Who knows, but at this point, it appears to be--for me--a waste of money.
I fly the same route CLT-ORD Sunday afternoon, or Monday Am, and return Thursday 6:25. I'm not willing to rearrange my times, dates, etc, just to get an upgrade. Thanks
On busy banking/business routes, most seats are sold and it does happen, alot. So if you aren't flexable, then there is really no reason to complain about the lack of upgrades.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I fly the same route CLT-ORD Sunday afternoon, or Monday Am, and return Thursday 6:25. I'm not willing to rearrange my times, dates, etc, just to get an upgrade.
Thanks
I bought up to Cp in December and have gotten upgraded on all flights except 1 (I moved up). I doubt it was because you weren't in the system. In my year of heavy travel I found that Monday mornings and Thursday night are the busiest and worst for upgrades.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Thanks
Every time I flew to Chicago last year and the year before (not tons mind you but more than a handful), I was upgraded both ways. I typically fly up on a mid morning flight.... and back on a midday flight. I do try to choose my flights carefully on heavily traveled business routes....

Just for fun, why don't you check some of the seatmaps of flights either right before or right after the ones you typically choose (on the days you actually fly) to see if those flights are full in F. Even though you may not be willing to swap times now, you might just have an 'Ah-ha' moment.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Well, now my UG rate stands at a rather paltry 30%. Hopefully in March it starts to get better. Maybe with the new AA in a year or so, there will be more routes....but actually more people to compete with also! Ultimately I need to get to BMI, or PIA. I usually drive from ORD to Bloomington. I could book RT with multiple stops, but that is such an inconvenience, it's not worth the F. My time is more valuable (my own opportunity cost calculation)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Keeping up at this rate...I stand to get approx 27 upgrades, for $1500 purchase. I had thought in my head, I might get 50% (I wasn't naive to think I'd get higher than that given the route), which I reasoned would be worth it. I figured about 45 or so would be about 35 bucks an upgrade, and made sense for me. I'd be curious to hear others valuations on what they consider the dollar value to be for an upgrade? What they think is a fair price to pay? For me it was $35/UG
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:51 pm

Keeping up at this rate...I stand to get approx 27 upgrades, for $1500 purchase. I had thought in my head, I might get 50% (I wasn't naive to think I'd get higher than that given the route), which I reasoned would be worth it. I figured about 45 or so would be about 35 bucks an upgrade, and made sense for me. I'd be curious to hear others valuations on what they consider the dollar value to be for an upgrade? What they think is a fair price to pay? For me it was $35/UG
I echo what people have said above:

1) wait until March to make your mind up. You are currently fighting a bunch of people who did not requalify in calendar year 2012. They all disappear next week.

2) Business heavy routes on Monday AM and Thursday PM are going to be a challenge. I fly CLT to IAH regularly and a lot of the times the only way upfront is to buy the ticket.

You also should not just value the $1,500 for the upgrades. You get a significant bonus in 100% mileage bonus, the Envoy Certs, and access to the CP line. The CP line will be a lifeline at some point for you during a 12-month period, even if you have a corporate travel agent.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:38 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
For me u/g ratio was 100% last year and is 100% this year. I do Friday afternoon ORD-PHX flights (in theory hard to get u/g on) and typically get upgraded 5-2 days prior to departure (in January I was even upgraded 7 days prior to departure, but this was an exception). Once I was even upgraded (2 days prior to departure) when F was showing zero. I do not fly on Mondays, though.

And use these TATL CP certificates... Envoy Suites are GREAT!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I've started flying US108 CLT-ORD some since the beginning of the year as well since the CLT-MSP 9am flight was taken away (making CLT-ORD-MSP my routing usually). Haven't gotten upgraded as a CP yet in 3 flights this year... One data point. Really wish US would bring back the 9am CLT-MSP flight. Was consistently packed so not sure why it went away after the beginning of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.