Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Domestic First- No meals <3.5 hours

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:35 am

There was glassware on my PHX-CLT RT last week. Of course, I observed it from row 5 since us lowly silvers did not get upgraded
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:41 am

I didn't realize meal service on domestic F was such a selling point for many. I suppose I'm used to having at least one connection to go almost anywhere, so that's usually my mealtime and it's often better than anything I'm going to get on a plane. PHL, DCA and CLT all have decent food options and I usually end up at 1 of the 3 for at least an hour. About the only meal I really appreciate on a flight is breakfast because I am always running late in the mornings (and even if I wasn't, there isn't anything good that time of day at PWM). I'd really like breakfast on flights departing up to 11am (instead of 9) and on anything longer than 90 minutes.

You know what I also miss? Those Walker's shortbreads in the snack basket!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:25 am

Alright first time post here, long time lurker (you know the story!). These forums are beyond great now that I'm traveling enough and hit Silver through Trial Preferred, and maybe will hit Gold this year.

Got my first upgrade through trial preferred and any explanation for my PHX-ORD flight of 3:17 showing a meal? Just don't want to get on tomorrow and discover there actually isn't a meal since it's under 3.5.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: None
There are limited exceptions to the 3.5 hour rule for meals due to "competitive reasons" - the competition has them so US does too. The US website should be accurate so if it shows a meal there should be one in FC.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:56 am

Lucky me, thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lizs
Alright first time post here, long time lurker (you know the story!). These forums are beyond great now that I'm traveling enough and hit Silver through Trial Preferred, and maybe will hit Gold this year.

Got my first upgrade through trial preferred and any explanation for my PHX-ORD flight of 3:17 showing a meal? Just don't want to get on tomorrow and discover there actually isn't a meal since it's under 3.5.
you will get a Dinner
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
AFAIK, glassware is for all meal flights, although I have been on turn around flights with no meals that got glassware, probably because there was plenty left over from the previous flight.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ellinj
AFAIK, glassware is for all meal flights, although I have been on turn around flights with no meals that got glassware, probably because there was plenty left over from the previous flight.
My understanding is this:

Glassware is to be used on all flights greater than 3.5 hours, regardless of whether or not there is a meal service (ie a transcon redeye would still receive glassware even though no meal is served). On flights shorter than 3.5 hours, it is to be all plastic up front.

I've never seen glassware on flights shorter than the 3.5 hour rule, however if that has now changed, I would be very pleased. I definitely appreciate a real glass when sipping a cocktail (the wine "glasses" are way too small, but I've heard they're changing them out soon).

Perhaps Galleywench or flight62 can chime in here and clarify.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:09 am

Hi everyone! Quick question about routes vs scheduled flight times. I've got a roundtrip CLT-DEN this week. Outbound is 3:35 and inbound is 3:15. I'm not going to complain if the inbound doesn't serve a meal but I'd rather know up front so I can grab something in the airport beforehand. Does US have any type of rules regarding the variation of flight times on routes simply due to the jet stream? .com doesnt currently show a meal on the inbound side. thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by kb_rembrandt
Hi everyone! Quick question about routes vs scheduled flight times. I've got a roundtrip CLT-DEN this week. Outbound is 3:35 and inbound is 3:15. I'm not going to complain if the inbound doesn't serve a meal but I'd rather know up front so I can grab something in the airport beforehand. Does US have any type of rules regarding the variation of flight times on routes simply due to the jet stream? .com doesnt currently show a meal on the inbound side. thanks!
The website doesn't always show meal even if there is one. The best is to ask GA who would know for sure if the flight has been catered.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kb_rembrandt
According to US website, all flights on the CLT-DEn-CLT route get meals, except the redeye on the return. Each way to check is do a dummy cooking in F.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
I received a meal both ways this week on RT PHL-DFW. A nice lunch on the westbound flight with a scheduled travel time of 3:28. A nice breakfast on the eastbound flight with a scheduled travel time of 3:10.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thphilly
I received a meal both ways this week on RT PHL-DFW. A nice lunch on the westbound flight with a scheduled travel time of 3:28. A nice breakfast on the eastbound flight with a scheduled travel time of 3:10.
Was the return flight an early AM flight and was it on a E jet or Airbus?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Was the return flight an early AM flight and was it on a E jet or Airbus?
6:30AM on A319
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thphilly
6:30AM on A319
Was it a cold meal you got for breakfast, since this plane sat over night and I don't think US gets catering in DFW (I could be wrong.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.