US Domestic First- No meals <3.5 hours

Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Resurrecting this old post, as I'm flying PHL-AUS this Friday in First. I sent an e-mail to the Gold Preferred desk asking what the current meal is. They replied back stating "After reviewing flight 1775 from Philadelphia to Austin, we are not showing that a meal is being offered on that flight. We are showing snakes and beverages." Any one have any recent experience with this flight? Could the preferred desk be wrong since it doesn't show up on the website with a meal? The flight is 3 hours, 55 minutes, so it should meet the minimum length needed for a meal. I kind of need to know if I should eat before leaving or not.

Appreciate the feedback!!
I flew PHL-IAH 3/20 and got a cold salad plate. It was a roll, mozzarella & tomato slices with basil leaf and bit of balsamic, thin-sliced beef on a mixed salad and a delicious lemon sponge-cake-type dessert. It was much better than I expected. I flew TATL coach in February and the "meal" was horrible and half frozen.

I got bumped up in the last 48 hours, and the rez did say there would be a meal at that time. I remember being surprised because we had a 2:15p departure. Since AUS is further than IAH, I would think you would get a similar meal.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by ellinj
Isn't that flight a E190, I don' think they do meal service at all on those.
I thought they were doing cold food service on PHL-AUS/SAT a few months back? I haven't flown them since the routes started though.

The E190 doesn't have ovens but it does have a galley, so they can serve unheated meals.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
I thought they were doing cold food service on PHL-AUS/SAT a few months back? I haven't flown them since the routes started though.

The E190 doesn't have ovens but it does have a galley, so they can serve unheated meals.
Yes, they do serve meals, at least they did a few months back. Chicken salad with a cheese cake on the side. What surprised me was the fact there there was no second option. They start of with something like you have the choice of a .... I asked, what's the other option? Sorry sir, we only offer one meal...

Anyhow, I started having my meals at the PHL airport before leaving for home. Either at the Asian restaurant of the CIBO Bistro, not a bad vodka sauce shrimp pasta.

Mike
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by panamamike
Yes, they do serve meals, at least they did a few months back. Chicken salad with a cheese cake on the side. What surprised me was the fact there there was no second option. They start of with something like you have the choice of a .... I asked, what's the other option? Sorry sir, we only offer one meal...

Anyhow, I started having my meals at the PHL airport before leaving for home. Either at the Asian restaurant of the CIBO Bistro, not a bad vodka sauce shrimp pasta.

Mike
I believe they do offer the salad without the meat on it as a vegetarian option. Not really the "choice" you're looking for, but at least it's something, and likely the best they can do with the limited galley space on the 190.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Resurrecting this old post, as I'm flying PHL-AUS this Friday in First. I sent an e-mail to the Gold Preferred desk asking what the current meal is. They replied back stating "After reviewing flight 1775 from Philadelphia to Austin, we are not showing that a meal is being offered on that flight. We are showing snakes and beverages." Any one have any recent experience with this flight? Could the preferred desk be wrong since it doesn't show up on the website with a meal? The flight is 3 hours, 55 minutes, so it should meet the minimum length needed for a meal. I kind of need to know if I should eat before leaving or not.

Appreciate the feedback!!
I did a dummy booking in F on your flight and it does not show a meal being service, which is really surpising.... I would write the gold preferred desk again and ask them why no meal is being served on a 3h55m flight that leaves at Dinner time....
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I did a dummy booking in F on your flight and it does not show a meal being service, which is really surpising.... I would write the gold preferred desk again and ask them why no meal is being served on a 3h55m flight that leaves at Dinner time....
I sent the following in as a response...

Hi, thank you for getting back to me on this. I have a follow up question for you. According to usairways.com, it says that any flight that is greater than 3.5 hours (as PHL-AUS is) should have a dinner meal in First Class (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...irstclass.html) if it leaves between 3:01 PM and 8 PM. Why does this flight not have a meal if it falls within the guidelines for one according to the US Airways' website? If there is no meal, the site should be updated on this page to reflect that this flight is an exception to the rule.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I sent the following in as a response...

Hi, thank you for getting back to me on this. I have a follow up question for you. According to usairways.com, it says that any flight that is greater than 3.5 hours (as PHL-AUS is) should have a dinner meal in First Class (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...irstclass.html) if it leaves between 3:01 PM and 8 PM. Why does this flight not have a meal if it falls within the guidelines for one according to the US Airways' website? If there is no meal, the site should be updated on this page to reflect that this flight is an exception to the rule.
Let us know, again I'm surpised on that flight has no meal... Even though it is on a E190 something should be served.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by panamamike
Not to excuse the absence of food on your flight, but here are my 2 cents.

Food quality on airplanes is poor at best unless you're flying one of the elite airline. Not to mention the poor level of food quality and food regulation oversight. I had a bad experience not too long ago with some glass in my food. Since then, I eat right before at the airport or bring something along that's airplane friendly. I will eat packaged stuff like cookies, chips, ect...

I always keep some sort of emergency food in my carry-on, such as a granola bar or similar and for the most part simply avoid airline food. Also note airline food is typically over spiced. This is done because our senses, taste and smell, are numbed due to high altitude. Thus the airlines solution to this problem. I'd rather have a good meal before or after, with a snack in between if necessary.

Mike
Overspiced?! First time I ever heard someone complain that airline food is too spicy. Too salty, yes. Too spicy, No.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Update on PHL-AUS, AUS-PHL Meal

So, as of 4/5, the PHL-AUS flight has a dinner served in First Class. And as of 4/9, the AUS-PHL flight has a breakfast served in First Class. So, in the end, the people responding to the Gold Preferred e-mails gave me incorrect information. Seems one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, which is a shame.

As for the meals, for PHL-AUS, it was a steak salad, pita bread with hummus, a roll with butter and a caramel cheesecake. All of it was pretty good and I ate the entire meal. For AUS-PHL, it was a strawberry yogurt, a bagel with butter and cream cheese, as well as some fruit (1 strawberry, 2 strips of canteloupe and 2 strips of honeydew).

Some pictures below...

PHL-AUS Steak Salad

PHL-AUS Caramel Cheesecake

AUS-PHL Breakfast
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

So, as of 4/5, the PHL-AUS flight has a dinner served in First Class. And as of 4/9, the AUS-PHL flight has a breakfast served in First Class. So, in the end, the people responding to the Gold Preferred e-mails gave me incorrect information. Seems one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, which is a shame.

As for the meals, for PHL-AUS, it was a steak salad, pita bread with hummus, a roll with butter and a caramel cheesecake. All of it was pretty good and I ate the entire meal. For AUS-PHL, it was a strawberry yogurt, a bagel with butter and cream cheese, as well as some fruit (1 strawberry, 2 strips of canteloupe and 2 strips of honeydew).
Good news that there was a meal, I'm sure the Breakfast on the return flight was double catered out of PHL this is why you got what you got. I truly hate double catered meals just for this one reason, a pretty poor breakfast.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
The FA didn't bother to remove the plastic before serving your breakfast?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
FLL - PHX First Class Meal Service

What should I expect? The flight is over 4 hours
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by airmarc
You'll get a meal, either breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on the time of departure.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by airmarc
Just AA, US rotates it's meals, so to tell you what will be served is tough, which flight are you on?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I wish I had seen this thread before booking a ticket in F for Mrs. cblaisd.

It never even occurred to me that a 3 hour flight in mainline F over the lunch hour would have no meal, only the basket-o'-carbs.

It also never occurred to me that there would be no pre-departure drinks offered whatsoever.

UA's meals in F have gone waaaay downhill since a decade ago, but they do serve lunch on a 3 hour flight and they do consistently offer pre-departure drinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.