US Domestic First- No meals <3.5 hours

 
Old Feb 15, 13, 7:29 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: York, PA
Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Posts: 1,717
First, anything longer than an hour should have a basket. Feel free to put the snack mix in the darn basket, but dont make that crap our only choice, especially at 8am
etsmyers is offline  
Old Feb 17, 13, 2:25 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Posts: 3,796
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch View Post
Flights that are consistently shorter than 1:30 should not be ever getting a snack basket. If you see one, it was either loaded in error or the FA asked for one and shouldnt have.
I've seen it where a flight is a continuation from a longer segment, and the F/A has a basket left over.
alanh is offline  
Old Mar 25, 13, 10:22 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: Back to 0
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI View Post
Any experience with service on US916 (BWI-PHX, A319) in F? It leaves BWI at 7:50 PM, just under the 7:59 PM cut-off, and has a duration of 5:02. So, it should have a meal in F. As a US newbie, I'm wondering if US practice actually mirrors theory.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Yes, you will get a dinner on your flight, and if you could report back on what was served.
Choice of:
- Chicken with mushroom sauce with broccoli and potatoes
- Bow tie pasta with olives and tomatoes
Both served with salad and shrimp appetizer.
- Strawberry cheesecake for dessert.

One of the best meals I've had in a while for domestic travel. Hands down better than the UA lunch in F on the return (UA487). Will be writing a letter of praise for the US FA, too.

OT: Hate to burn miles for domestic travel, but this route was worth it (vice $700 + baggage for economy tix as a kettle on US). Would recommend folks consider burning miles on this route for a SaverAward in First, esp during peak times.
EkekoBWI is offline  
Old Mar 25, 13, 11:02 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ORD / MDW / FLL
Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,147
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
your LAS-CLT was it 1736? If so that is a red-eye and no meal but you should have gotten the snack basket. Your BWI-CLT you should have gotten a snack basket... You might want to write US and ask them why this didn't happen?
This kills me! Over at DL flights with meals still offer a snack basket. AA does meals on flights longer than 750 miles. Last week I was offered lunch on ORD-PHL. Really hope the "new AA" adopts the old AA's meal standards.
SOBE ER DOC is offline  
Old Mar 25, 13, 11:16 pm
  #80  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI View Post
Choice of:
- Chicken with mushroom sauce with broccoli and potatoes
- Bow tie pasta with olives and tomatoes
Both served with salad and shrimp appetizer.
- Strawberry cheesecake for dessert.

One of the best meals I've had in a while for domestic travel. Hands down better than the UA lunch in F on the return (UA487). Will be writing a letter of praise for the US FA, too.

OT: Hate to burn miles for domestic travel, but this route was worth it (vice $700 + baggage for economy tix as a kettle on US). Would recommend folks consider burning miles on this route for a SaverAward in First, esp during peak times.
Shhhhhhh please don't tell too many people, this is our secert. Let the people moan and complain about UA and DL..... I'm glad it went well and the food was good. Now I'm telling you, try the french toast if you have a chance, they use REAL vermont maple syurp!!!
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 27, 13, 1:17 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch View Post
Flights that are consistently shorter than 1:30 should not be ever getting a snack basket. If you see one, it was either loaded in error or the FA asked for one and shouldnt have.
I was specifically referring to flights that are not consistently shorter than 1:30. Routes that are typically (slightly) longer than 1:30, but which occasionally run (slightly) shorter than 1:30 are, in my experience, never catered with a snack basket.

I believe other carriers use the longest segment duration for any given route to determine catering. That would be a preferable policy.
dtremit is offline  
Old Mar 27, 13, 5:12 pm
  #82  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
This kills me! Over at DL flights with meals still offer a snack basket. AA does meals on flights longer than 750 miles. Last week I was offered lunch on ORD-PHL. Really hope the "new AA" adopts the old AA's meal standards.
AA is inconsistant with there meals, DFW-DEN gets a meal, however, DEN-DFW does not, and the DEN-DFW is a longer flight. Also what red eyes that are not LAX/SFO-JFK get a meal service on AA domestically? The meals that are served on US are just as good as AA and if not better... Also if you haven't flown the two airlines to compare the meals, then there isn;t much for you to comment.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Mar 27, 13, 8:55 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 268
Just prove me wrong, I have not seen any baskets for the last few months... I did get meals on trips between CLT-PHX but never baskets... All that was offered as snacks a single bag of 'Select' Snack Mix... For shorter fights, no meals but just a tray (one's meant to take only one) of Savory Snack Mix bag.
longnguk is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 1:16 am
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by longnguk View Post
Just prove me wrong, I have not seen any baskets for the last few months... I did get meals on trips between CLT-PHX but never baskets... All that was offered as snacks a single bag of 'Select' Snack Mix... For shorter fights, no meals but just a tray (one's meant to take only one) of Savory Snack Mix bag.
You should havae gotten snack basket on the CLT-PHX, I have gotten the snack basket PHX-SJC-PHX.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Apr 3, 13, 7:46 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,503
Originally Posted by brianz24 View Post
I flew PHL-AUS on the E190 earlier in December. I did not see a meal listed, but then on the flight was pleasantly surprised to find a meal. It was a grilled chicken salad. Plenty of chicken, and the chicken was excellent.

Started off with a tomato/mozzarella salad, included a roll and a slice of cheesecake. They did not, however, have glassware on the flight. But I really have no complaints. Excellent meal and service.
Resurrecting this old post, as I'm flying PHL-AUS this Friday in First. I sent an e-mail to the Gold Preferred desk asking what the current meal is. They replied back stating "After reviewing flight 1775 from Philadelphia to Austin, we are not showing that a meal is being offered on that flight. We are showing snakes and beverages." Any one have any recent experience with this flight? Could the preferred desk be wrong since it doesn't show up on the website with a meal? The flight is 3 hours, 55 minutes, so it should meet the minimum length needed for a meal. I kind of need to know if I should eat before leaving or not.

Appreciate the feedback!!
GNRMatt is offline  
Old Apr 3, 13, 7:50 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DCA, SEA, AUS
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 260
Snakes!? :O
marksskram is offline  
Old Apr 3, 13, 7:52 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,503
Originally Posted by marksskram View Post
Snakes!? :O
That was US Airways' typo, not mine ;-)
GNRMatt is offline  
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:47 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 95
Airplane food, no thank you...

Not to excuse the absence of food on your flight, but here are my 2 cents.

Food quality on airplanes is poor at best unless you're flying one of the elite airline. Not to mention the poor level of food quality and food regulation oversight. I had a bad experience not too long ago with some glass in my food. Since then, I eat right before at the airport or bring something along that's airplane friendly. I will eat packaged stuff like cookies, chips, ect...


I always keep some sort of emergency food in my carry-on, such as a granola bar or similar and for the most part simply avoid airline food. Also note airline food is typically over spiced. This is done because our senses, taste and smell, are numbed due to high altitude. Thus the airlines solution to this problem. I'd rather have a good meal before or after, with a snack in between if necessary.

Mike
panamamike is offline  
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:36 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Posts: 1,804
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
Resurrecting this old post, as I'm flying PHL-AUS this Friday in First. I sent an e-mail to the Gold Preferred desk asking what the current meal is. They replied back stating "After reviewing flight 1775 from Philadelphia to Austin, we are not showing that a meal is being offered on that flight. We are showing snakes and beverages." Any one have any recent experience with this flight? Could the preferred desk be wrong since it doesn't show up on the website with a meal? The flight is 3 hours, 55 minutes, so it should meet the minimum length needed for a meal. I kind of need to know if I should eat before leaving or not.

Appreciate the feedback!!

Isn't that flight a E190, I don' think they do meal service at all on those.
ellinj is offline  
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:43 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,503
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Isn't that flight a E190, I don' think they do meal service at all on those.
Yes, it is an E190. However, previous posters from a few months ago reported meals on this flight/airplane. My e-mail from US Airways indicates that is no longer the case, but as we all know, sometimes the people responding aren't the most knowledgeable.

I know when making a dummy booking in First Class for this flight, it doesn't show a meal. However, when people were reporting getting meals it didn't show a meal in dummy bookings either. This is why I'm hoping to find someone who has done this route recently to share what happened on their flight.
GNRMatt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: