US Domestic First- No meals <3.5 hours

Old Feb 6, 13, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI View Post
Any experience with service on US916 (BWI-PHX, A319) in F? It leaves BWI at 7:50 PM, just under the 7:59 PM cut-off, and has a duration of 5:02. So, it should have a meal in F. As a US newbie, I'm wondering if US practice actually mirrors theory.

Thanks
Yes, you will get a dinner on your flight, and if you could report back on what was served.
Old Feb 6, 13, 10:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Breakfast on CLT-SFO this AM: choice of Cheese Blintzes or Tomato/Spinach Strata. I had the strata, and can't say that I was impressed. Chewy and bland. MUCH prefer the breakfast quesadillas I had last time.
Old Feb 6, 13, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
Breakfast on CLT-SFO this AM: choice of Cheese Blintzes or Tomato/Spinach Strata. I had the strata, and can't say that I was impressed. Chewy and bland. MUCH prefer the breakfast quesadillas I had last time.
I agree had the rubber strata before, I would have taken the Blintz's myself...
Old Feb 8, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: Back to 0
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Yes, you will get a dinner on your flight, and if you could report back on what was served.
Will do. (It now says "dinner" on the reservation, though it did not when booking.) The flight isn't till late March, so someone may beat me to the punch in getting back to you.
Old Feb 8, 13, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI View Post
Will do. (It now says "dinner" on the reservation, though it did not when booking.) The flight isn't till late March, so someone may beat me to the punch in getting back to you.
I have noticed that at booking it doesn't show a meal, once ticketed and you can see your Rev, then the meal shows up. I have a ORD-PHX flight and at booking no meal, now shows Dinner.
Old Feb 9, 13, 6:31 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
So what do you get on the E190? I see it's not considered an Express flight by the flight number, nor does it show on the Express routes.

I'm looking at heading to SAT early next month. I'll probably buy F since the refundable F fare is only $20 more than the refundable Y fare I have to buy. Pretty much my choices are the A319 thru CLT or the E190 thru PHL. Which would you take, and am I pretty much screwed on a meal in either case?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by marksskram View Post
Can I look forward to the meal PHL-AUS too even though it's listed as 3h20m (in your experience)?
I'm a pilot on the E190, so I can tell you with certainty that our flights between PHL and TX (DFW, AUS, IAH, SAT) do offer meals, though, as mentioned, they are cold meals due to the lack of oven.

Breakfast flights include a small fruit plate (melon, pineapple, orange, grapes), a bagel, cream cheese and butter, yogurt (all I've seen is raspberry), and granola.

Lunch/dinner flights have a small appetizer, salad with protein (chicken or beef), a roll, and cheesecake.
Old Feb 9, 13, 9:10 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
For those of us with a long history of flying, this thread is a reminder of how far service standards have dropped over the years and that, but for the bigger seat and the free booze, current F is in many respects inferior to the Y of years past.

It would probably shock younger flyers to know that one got a hot meal in coach on flights like CMH-DCA and EWR-RDU in the late '80s/early '90s.

In the mid-late '90s, US had an F product on transcons that was comparable to anyone's and even short flights like DAY-CLT got a cold snack plate.

But, enough nostalgia. The US F meal policy is simply not competitive with other carriers in the present. While I'm not going to rave over the domestic F meal service on any of the US carriers these days, the 3.5 hour rule stands out as an uncompetitive anomaly. But, then again, we're talking about an alrline that uses "LCC" as its ticker symbol...
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:14 pm

I fly EWR/CLT weekly and always get the Basket on the 1.2 hour flight.
Old Feb 14, 13, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
I've been frustrated in F on a few of my last flights because of snack options.

Just did 4 legs, all in F.

I watched 75% of F not take the "Savory Snack Mix" on every flight. When I asked around, pretty much everyone is sick and tired of it.

F CLT-LAS we got beef short ribs and that was pretty good actually. Savory snack mix was the snack offered

F LAS-CLT we were only offered snack mix. There was no snack basket. Two flights from BWI-CLT and CLT-BWI we were offered only snack mix and no basket.

They should at least give a choice... especially when majority of your fliers don't even want the snack mix anymore.
Old Feb 14, 13, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan View Post

F LAS-CLT we were only offered snack mix. There was no snack basket. Two flights from BWI-CLT and CLT-BWI we were offered only snack mix and no basket.They should at least give a choice... especially when majority of your fliers don't even want the snack mix anymore.
your LAS-CLT was it 1736? If so that is a red-eye and no meal but you should have gotten the snack basket. Your BWI-CLT you should have gotten a snack basket... You might want to write US and ask them why this didn't happen?
Old Feb 14, 13, 6:42 pm

LAS-CLT was 810 which was still a red-eye which means no meal. However, I never saw the snack basket on a single flight.

I fly CLT-BWI frequently - I rarely ever see the snack basket. This is far from the first time. I have heard mention of biscuits recently but haven't seen those either!

The only good part about this merger is that the F product will probably be more consistent, and good, as they will need to compete with the products of DL and UA.
Old Feb 14, 13, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Your BWI-CLT you should have gotten a snack basket...
BWI-CLT ranges from 1:23 to 1:33 depending on departure time. My experience has been that flights that are sometimes less than 1:30 rarely get a snack basket.

BOS-PHL is 1:30 or longer on all but 3 of ~18 flights a day, but I almost never see anything but snack mix.
Old Feb 14, 13, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
My experience has been that flights that are sometimes less than 1:30 rarely get a snack basket.
Flights that are consistently shorter than 1:30 should not be ever getting a snack basket. If you see one, it was either loaded in error or the FA asked for one and shouldnt have.
Old Feb 15, 13, 8:50 am

Herein lies the problem, consistency. I could even venture to say most of my red-eyes are NOT getting the basket.

And does US listen to its F customers? Obviously not a scientific study by any means, but when the majority of your cabin no longer takes snack mix because no one likes it, it's time for a change.
Old Feb 15, 13, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan View Post
Herein lies the problem, consistency. I could even venture to say most of my red-eyes are NOT getting the basket.

And does US listen to its F customers? Obviously not a scientific study by any means, but when the majority of your cabin no longer takes snack mix because no one likes it, it's time for a change.
US sure does listen, why do you think other changes have been made to the F service. And on many of the flights, I've been on, plenty of people have taken the snack mix. Also, if US wasnt listening, why would they bother sending out surveys to people about their flights?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: