US Domestic First- No meals <3.5 hours

Old Jan 3, 13, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

US F - no meals <3.5 hours

AirTran has a premium cabin - no meals - just free drinks and snacks - they call it Business Class - more pitch than US but - it sets real expectations.

So if US sells domestic First Class - I think they should rise up to the competitors re: F meal service. DL, UA, AA

If not - rebrand the product to business class IMHO.

US has a small F cabin - mostly 12 seats on the A319,A320 - 16 on the A321. How much could this really cost as compared to lost revenue from disgruntled customers who choose a different venue?

My thought is they are selling a premium product at the same price as competitors but offering a sub-par product. Makes no sense in the long term. If you are going to do it - do it right!
Old Jan 4, 13, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jdcece View Post
AirTran has a premium cabin - no meals - just free drinks and snacks - they call it Business Class - more pitch than US but - it sets real expectations.

So if US sells domestic First Class - I think they should rise up to the competitors re: F meal service. DL, UA, AA

US has a small F cabin - mostly 12 seats on the A319,A320 - 16 on the A321. How much could this really cost as compared to lost revenue from disgruntled customers who choose a different venue?

My thought is they are selling a premium product at the same price as competitors but offering a sub-par product. Makes no sense in the long term. If you are going to do it - do it right!

Interesting post, however, US serves meals on the PHX-ATL flight, and AirTran does not. The cost of meals per unit isn't much, however when you times it by say 10,000 it starts to add up, this is why Y does not get meals these days. I have been on a handful of US flights of 2+ hours and survived with no meal service, the snack basket is good enough, I was on the PHX-MSP flight and did wish a snack was served, I wa hungery so I bought a meal from Y, no biggie really.
Old Jan 4, 13, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jdcece View Post

While I'd like to see meals offered on more flights, US's meal quality is on par with the other carriers. I think the F meals are typically better than what I've gotten in UA F. I wish they'd have more variety though ...

Have you looked at US F prices? US typically sells F at a lower price than most other carriers. Hell, you can often buy a flexible F ticket cheaper than a flexible Y ticket. While it may lack a bit, you're not paying as much as on UA, DL, or AA.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Interesting post, however, US serves meals on the PHX-ATL flight, and AirTran does not. The cost of meals per unit isn't much, however when you times it by say 10,000 it starts to add up, this is why Y does not get meals these days. I have been on a handful of US flights of 2+ hours and survived with no meal service, the snack basket is good enough, I was on the PHX-MSP flight and did wish a snack was served, I wa hungery so I bought a meal from Y, no biggie really.
I really wish Us would take a page out of UA's book and give Y meals for free to F pax. I've taken a Y BOB on UA in the past when I didn't like the F meal options.
Old Jan 4, 13, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4 View Post
E190 meal service consists of a cold plate (usually some type of salad served with bread and dessert). There is no glassware used due to the small galley size. However, the cold meals that I've had have generally been pretty good and of decent quality.
Hmm, so I take it my option is a cold meal on an E190 out of PHL, or a snack basket out of CLT? CLT-SAT is just under 3.5 hours.
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Hmm, so I take it my option is a cold meal on an E190 out of PHL, or a snack basket out of CLT? CLT-SAT is just under 3.5 hours.
You got it. Take the 190 and get a seat on the single side (A seats).
Old Jan 4, 13, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I have a SFO-CLT redeye tonight in F. But since it is late flight... no meal.
Old Jan 4, 13, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
I really wish Us would take a page out of UA's book and give Y meals for free to F pax. I've taken a Y BOB on UA in the past when I didn't like the F meal options.
This has stopped, I remember when I would get the same meal options on UA and I was tired of it, and asked if I could get a BOB, the FA had no problem, today the FA will say sorry, can't do it. Which is ashame since some of the BOB sandwichs and salads are pretty good.
Old Jan 4, 13, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iztok View Post
I have a SFO-CLT redeye tonight in F. But since it is late flight... no meal.
I beleive you get a snack prior to arrival, I could be wrong.
Old Jan 4, 13, 5:44 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
I beleive you get a snack prior to arrival, I could be wrong.
You get the snack basket during the entire flight....no specific snack that they serve on a plate or tray.
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by richinaz View Post
Maybe I am dreaming but didn't the snack basket come, then was taken away and replaced with some kind of chips, and is now back? I haven't flown much in the last year+ and my most recent flight, the ultra short PHL-BWI on an A319, they did pass around a snack basket.
I think the snack basket is inconsistent. I was on the PHL-BWI route last month and the FA didn't even offer beverage service. She was too busy chatting with another FA.
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by milophile View Post
I think the snack basket is inconsistent. I was on the PHL-BWI route last month and the FA didn't even offer beverage service. She was too busy chatting with another FA.
A perfect example of something that should be written in to US Airways. It can't get better until management knows it's a serious problem.
Old Jan 11, 13, 1:26 am

Programs: US PP
The 3hour IAH-PHL on the E190 had a cold breakfast in F, it was okay.
Old Feb 1, 13, 7:29 pm

Programs: Back to 0
BWI-LAS service in F

Any experience with service on US916 (BWI-PHX, A319) in F? It leaves BWI at 7:50 PM, just under the 7:59 PM cut-off, and has a duration of 5:02. So, it should have a meal in F. As a US newbie, I'm wondering if US practice actually mirrors theory.

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 13, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI View Post
Any experience with service on US916 (BWI-PHX, A319) in F? It leaves BWI at 7:50 PM, just under the 7:59 PM cut-off, and has a duration of 5:02. So, it should have a meal in F. As a US newbie, I'm wondering if US practice actually mirrors theory.

Thanks
I haven't been on that one but you should be fine and get a hot meal. Most of the exceptions are actually for flights that fall outside the cutoff that still get meals, such as westbound flights from PHL/CLT after 8 pm to the West Coast, or where the distance is "close" but since the competition gives a meal, US will too (e.g., PHL-DFW).
Old Feb 5, 13, 10:26 pm

When I get on my connection at PHX around 10.45 am (flight leaves 11.15), I am usually the only one in F who brought lunch. People are giving me looks like WTH you're doing with your lunch onboard FC. Guess who usually have the last laugh, by the time we landed and got rental car at the destination, it's easily 1.30 pm.

By the way, the breakfast burger by Modern Burger at PHX is pretty good if you like egg in your burger.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: