Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Emotional Support Animal" on my flight flies for free. Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:45 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by tacostuff
Mrs. Tacostuff has a diagnosed allergy to dogs. Let's say someone sat next to her with a dog (whether as a carry-on or emotional support). If she mentioned the allergy to the FA, what would happen? Would the person with the dog be required to move, or would they try to make my wife move?
Interesting question. Is it regulated?
Not to sound harsh - but how someone's allergy is the dog's owner problem? Don't you think in the airplane with 100's of people closely packed there is absence of dog's allergen protein on clothing without a dog present.
Kind people may accommodate your problem but they do not have to.
Bottom line could be: take the meds or change the seat.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by tacostuff
Mrs. Tacostuff has a diagnosed allergy to dogs. Let's say someone sat next to her with a dog (whether as a carry-on or emotional support). If she mentioned the allergy to the FA, what would happen? Would the person with the dog be required to move, or would they try to make my wife move?
I am sure my clothes used to have plenty of allergens from a dog and still have from a cat. In a pet household I am sure that despite washing clothes as soon as you get them out of the washer/dryer they get exposed and in a world where many people have pets your wife will get exposed to dog allergens on every single flight. Hope she takes her medicine.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by m44
Not to sound harsh - but how someone's allergy is the dog's owner problem? Don't you think in the airplane with 100's of people closely packed there is absence of dog's allergen protein on clothing without a dog present.

Originally Posted by iztok
I am sure my clothes used to have plenty of allergens from a dog and still have from a cat. In a pet household I am sure that despite washing clothes as soon as you get them out of the washer/dryer they get exposed and in a world where many people have pets your wife will get exposed to dog allergens on every single flight. Hope she takes her medicine.
You both used this logic? The allergens emitted by an actual DOG would be orders of magnitude greater than any allergens emitted by a person's clothing!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
This is just what I tried to explain to my wife. That people much attached to their dogs believe that they and their dog belong wherever they want to be. And that if anyone else does not like it -- no matter what the reason -- even at five miles high in a thin tube packed together, with everyone strapped down (save the dog), hurtling along at 550mph, for hours on end ... then it is their (that is to say the person who somehow imagined that paying for their ticket entitled them to a usable seat) problem.

Rather than fight among ourselves, I wish that US would state policy more clearly. I think that if the policy they stated matched the policy as it appears "on the ground" (which is to say in the air) the howls from the non-canines would be so great as to force a change. This dealing with it (suffering it) "on the fly" (literally!) does not make sense to me.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Here's my daughter traveling with her emotional support animal on a recent flight ... he was relatively well behaved sitting on the floor ...

She has him trained well.

I also notice that he seems very happy in his work.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by twtrvl
She has him trained well.

I also notice that he seems very happy in his work.
But is he housebroken? And what about his food on the flight?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:16 am

If I'm allergic to dogs, can I keep the drug-sniffing dogs in the airport away from me and my bags?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.