Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth buying up to Chairman? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffhacker
it will likely take at least a year for the programs to merge, and you could always wait til later. Personally, I would wait.
Unless US ends the "Buy Up" program altogether. "Reciprocal benefits" (whatever that means) comes Jan. 7. This could mean equivalent (Exec. Plat) upgrades on AA, or just that we can use miles across both AA and US, or anything in between.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Unless US ends the "Buy Up" program altogether. "Reciprocal benefits" (whatever that means) comes Jan. 7. This could mean equivalent (Exec. Plat) upgrades on AA, or just that we can use miles across both AA and US, or anything in between.
Or nothing for a year.

I hope you are right.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Prognostication:

US will discontinue the buy-up program prior to October 2014 to prevent "carryover" EXP benefits once the programs merge.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM
I'm currently 6442 miles short for CP. Debating buying up to chairman and/or doing the club purchase to get the rest. Waited too long to get a decent mileage run in (kept thinking there'd be a DPQM promotion like last year).

I like the certs - have used mine in 2012 and 2013 already. I like being CP, but it does seem like a waste to throw down about 600$ (either in overpriced MR, buying up, club, or combination of three).

Does anyone know timing of the buy up? If not discontinued, do I have till may to be a high-end platinum and then can buy up based on last year? I just enjoy lower upgrade rate and no access to certs until then? But if I want to get the 5k PQM from the club to apply to this year's balance, gotta do that by Dec 31? Or even earlier to credit beforehand?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jondysse
I'm currently 6442 miles short for CP. Debating buying up to chairman and/or doing the club purchase to get the rest. Waited too long to get a decent mileage run in (kept thinking there'd be a DPQM promotion like last year).

I like the certs - have used mine in 2012 and 2013 already. I like being CP, but it does seem like a waste to throw down about 600$ (either in overpriced MR, buying up, club, or combination of three).

Does anyone know timing of the buy up? If not discontinued, do I have till may to be a high-end platinum and then can buy up based on last year? I just enjoy lower upgrade rate and no access to certs until then? But if I want to get the 5k PQM from the club to apply to this year's balance, gotta do that by Dec 31? Or even earlier to credit beforehand?
Does that mean that you value the additional benefit of being CP to be less than $600 annually? Right now I'm considering buying up from gold at a much more expensive $1500. The upgrade certs. seem to be pretty valuable in themselves, especially if one otherwise wouldn't fly transatlantic in Y (being 6'4", there's no way I would). The 100% mileage bonus and top of the domestic upgrade pecking order are significant improvements over Gold.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Heck, I have bought up from silver before! And was happy about it!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Does that mean that you value the additional benefit of being CP to be less than $600 annually? Right now I'm considering buying up from gold at a much more expensive $1500. The upgrade certs. seem to be pretty valuable in themselves, especially if one otherwise wouldn't fly transatlantic in Y (being 6'4", there's no way I would). The 100% mileage bonus and top of the domestic upgrade pecking order are significant improvements over Gold.
I do value them. I feel like it's a slightly better deal paying out 1500$ to make up for 50k miles of flying vs to make it 94% of the way and pay 600$.

I also have 446k unspent RDMs that could rationally probably be liquidated for award tickets (I am not the best miles economist here) that could replace the CP benefits of the transatlantic upgrades and be used to prebook into first class on any tough routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.