Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do? Possible inappropriate Contact Made by FA in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by UA Fan
True, however some posters made a good point that it could have been a motherly touch. So to get the FA in trouble for this might not be good at this stage. Should have been taken up at the spot. Those that advocated this could have done it with a modicum of gentleness. Not everyone is so quick to react
Fair points, but if just the facts were reported to US, US could look at whatever other complaints have been received about the FA and whether or not the FA broke US rules, and US could then decide whether or not "to get the FA in trouble".

I would not have liked being touched in that manner either by anyone, regardless of gender, and I'm a straight guy.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by tommyleo
The restaurant analogy is a weak one because you're telling the OP to put the FA's job in jeopardy because the OP was being oversensitive at best and homophobic at worst.
Oversensitive or homophobic in your eyes perhaps. I think that if you're upset by the staff and you're a customer, you're an unhappy customer. Unhappy customers should say something.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I'm on the OP's side of if you didn't like it, then you should complain. Though personally I would've said something to them immediately. Some people are just a bit touchy and overbearing and they don't even realize it. I can almost guarantee that it was just how that FA is and nothing else. I will go on to say that I was on 6 longhaul flights on Asian airlines last month and got quite a few touches, I didn't mind the touch of a TG or OZ girl though YMMV
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by nevansm
I'm on the OP's side of if you didn't like it, then you should complain. Though personally I would've said something to them immediately. Some people are just a bit touchy and overbearing and they don't even realize it. I can almost guarantee that it was just how that FA is and nothing else. I will go on to say that I was on 6 longhaul flights on Asian airlines last month and got quite a few touches, I didn't mind the touch of a TG or OZ girl though YMMV
He can always say it back to the person doing it. No? Why get him fired if he is just being overly friendly?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Azzuristar
He can always say it back to the person doing it. No? Why get him fired if he is just being overly friendly?
Nobody is getting fired, I can almost guarantee that (unless he has many reports of this against him and this is the last straw). We're talking about a union employee here, about as hard to fire as a government employee.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by sciguy0504
How is this "homophobic?" Let's not throw around such words. Some people, including myself, do not want to be repeatedly touched in any way, shape or form by people I do not know. Yes, the OP should have spoken up at the time but, like others have said, a nicely worded e-mail to US will also help just in case this FA is touchy-feely and some passengers believe he goes too far. We all know what courts have deemed to be sexual harassment (ie the slightest of things in cases of men versus women).

Also, and I say this as someone who is not straight, I think it's quite natural for a straight guy to be uncomfortable with another man, especially one he does not know, repeatedly touching him. If it makes the passenger uncomfortable, regardless of anyone's gender, it should not be done repeatedly.
Thank you for bringing it up. I am straight and so a touch like this would have annoyed me. However I know some straight men who would love it such touches from a woman anytime anywhere.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
OP Reply

Sorry for to replying sooner - I had the flu...

I'll answer a few questions and share some thoughts.

1) I'm not gay
2) I would have still been surprised/shocked had this been a female FA - yes, even offended
3) In no way am I accusing him of coming on to m, just of inappropriate behavior which made me feel uncomfortable
4) Yes, I should have commented on the spot.
4a) I didn't for fear of not saying it appropriately and out of slight embarrassment.
5) I am writing up an email now to US making all of the above clear along with info from the OP.
6) No I don't want him fired. Lol
7) Yes, it's very p,a usable that his touching was meant in more of a familial or maternal way - still, to me at least, inappropriate.
8) I am not homophobic in any way and have some good friends who are gay. I would however have a problem if a man (gay or straight) tried to sexually/physically come on to me. That's normal, isit not?

Other thoughts? Questions? Out of place homophobic bashing?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by ariyo15
Sorry for to replying sooner - I had the flu...

I'll answer a few questions and share some thoughts.

1) I'm not gay
2) I would have still been surprised/shocked had this been a female FA - yes, even offended
3) In no way am I accusing him of coming on to m, just of inappropriate behavior which made me feel uncomfortable
4) Yes, I should have commented on the spot.
4a) I didn't for fear of not saying it appropriately and out of slight embarrassment.
5) I am writing up an email now to US making all of the above clear along with info from the OP.
6) No I don't want him fired. Lol
7) Yes, it's very p,a usable that his touching was meant in more of a familial or maternal way - still, to me at least, inappropriate.
8) I am not homophobic in any way and have some good friends who are gay. I would however have a problem if a man (gay or straight) tried to sexually/physically come on to me. That's normal, isit not?

Other thoughts? Questions? Out of place homophobic bashing?
Just my two cents:

Something happened and it bothered you. You had/have your reasons, and they may or may not be similar to those that any of the rest of us would have had under similar circumstances. You posted to this board -- a reasonable, harmless thing to do -- and you learned that different people have different perspectives, different experiences, and so on. Not surprising for a situation like this.

Now I suggest that you give it a rest and forget about it. Not because you are wrong, not because what you said happened did not happen .... just because you (and all concerned) are past the point where anything good (or less negative) is likely to happen by doing more and or rehashing it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
A couple of things...

3) In no way am I accusing him of coming on to me, just of inappropriate behavior which made me feel uncomfortable.
Please explain. If you didn't think he was coming on to you, what was it about his touching you that you felt was inappropriate or offensive? I'm trying to understand the distinction.

8) I am not homophobic in any way and have some good friends who are gay. I would however have a problem if a man (gay or straight) tried to sexually/physically come on to me. That's normal, isn't not?
It depends on whether you also have a problem when a woman comes on to you sexually/physically.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:04 pm

I just touched myself, and I was OK with it
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Wyd Plat.
Did he grab your butt too?

Originally Posted by Continental250K
Grow a pair.
+1

Unless he was flirting with you during the flight, it sounds innocent.

If you feel like someone is invading your privacy or touching you, next time say "Please don't touch me!"

To me it sounds like the flight attendant was effeminate, so he may have the touch and personal interactions, like the 'tickle' for your attention, that a female flight attendant might have.

Weren't we all taught at a young age if someone touches you inappropriately, just say NO!!!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Page 3 of a pointless thread .. How amusing ..
Still may be this will take it to page 4!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Sit in coach... problem solved. No one will touch you in coach. No one will take your jacket or say hello or bring you drinks or...

Sit in coach... problem solved.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
page 4 yet?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:11 am

no, not yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.