Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any rumors on IST service?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Any rumors on IST service?

As I go to IST for business, I recall reading here earlier in the year that US was rumored to be considering PHL-IST or CLT-IST. Just wondering if any of you insiders have heard any more? Thanks....
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've heard nothing.

IMO, if US was to serve IST it would almost certainly be from PHL and not CLT.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
As UA recently started EWR-IST non-stop service, is there enough demand?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd never say never. but PHL-IST (we'll never see CLT-IST) would surprise me. Heck, UA's new EWR-IST flight surprised me. With the exception of TLV (a flight which obviously has unique demand), we haven't seen US venture beyond Western Europe on their transatlantic service. I think that tells us a lot about "what works" from PHL. I would think we'd see a stab at Eastern Europe before we saw IST.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
IMO: For US Airways VIE>IST
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: US, Delta, and United Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Firewind
As UA recently started EWR-IST non-stop service, is there enough demand?
That would be my question. With TK 3 daily NY-IST, and daily IAD-IST, ORD-IST, LAX-IST (and HOU-IST next year), and UA EWR-IST, I do not think IST needs another non-stop *A flight (but if there would be a CLT-IST, I would definitely be happy, and drive 2 hours to directly fly to IST instead of driving 4 hours to IAD)..
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:20 pm

PHL-IST was actually discussed as one of the next major European/Western Asian destinations (after TLV) before the economic floor collapsed and 332/350 delivery schedules were significantly pushed out. The value of IST is the existing code share with Turkish. IST is also a Eastern Med cruise departure port, similar to Barcelona in the West. Moscow was also mentioned. Those of course were the heady days of the new US, which was even after PHL-PEK - without a plane. So with the additional 332 deliveries next year, IST could be a possibility by cycling the TLV flights properly. TLV could also go to 2x Daily - at least seasonally. As far as CLT is concerned, it cannot be dismissed as a potential departure point, as illogical as it may seem. Parker, etal have a soft spot for CLT as evidenced by the CLT-FCO, CLT-MAD and CLT DUB flights, even though PHL is advertised as the TA hub. IMO, if all (except FRA) TA flights originated in PHL, it would be perceived as a closer equivalence to EWR than it is and give US a better reputation as an international airline. If the merger doesn't take place, AA is suppose to move out of PHL A-East to "E" and take over the old NW club, leaving US with more potential "A" gates and flights BUT, we shall see.

Last edited by perseus11; Oct 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
IST has a transatlantic overcapacity problem at the moment (that's why you can fly USA-IST right now for less than $600 rt on most carriers). DL is dropping the market and UA is decreasing frequency because of this...so I highly doubt US is interested in pursuing this bloodbath of a market despite their links to TK.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
If I had to vote for new US Airways European destinations to fly from PHL for, they'd be...

1) Oslo (I'm heading there next year, and right now, I'll have to go to EWR to fly either UA or SAS)
2) Vienna
3) Stockholm
4) Helsinki
5) Reykjavik
5) Berlin
6) Warsaw
7) Budapest
8) Milan
9) Copenhagen
10) Zagreb

Note: These are purely based on places I would want to visit next in Europe (and aren't already served by US Airways) that I haven't been to and living in Philly, makes me prefer direct flights.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If I had to vote for new US Airways European destinations to fly from PHL for, they'd be...

1) Oslo (I'm heading there next year, and right now, I'll have to go to EWR to fly either UA or SAS)
2) Vienna
3) Stockholm
4) Helsinki
5) Reykjavik
5) Berlin
6) Warsaw
7) Budapest
8) Milan
9) Copenhagen
10) Zagreb

Note: These are purely based on places I would want to visit next in Europe (and aren't already served by US Airways) that I haven't been to and living in Philly, makes me prefer direct flights.
All high-paying, so you may have a point because of that.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:17 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by GNRMatt

2) Vienna
3) Stockholm
4) Helsinki
5) Reykjavik
5) Berlin
6) Warsaw
7) Budapest
8) Milan
9) Copenhagen
10) Zagreb

US has already served Vienna, Stockholm, Milan and Copenhagen. I thought some of these were still seasonal, but maybe they've all been cut?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
US has already served Vienna, Stockholm, Milan and Copenhagen. I thought some of these were still seasonal, but maybe they've all been cut?
ARN, OSL and MXP have been tried but dropped, even seasonally. Some capacity dumping on USA-OSL flights finished that route, which had been running year round at one point. I don't recall US ever having served VIE and certainly not CPH on its own equipment.

If I had to guess which they might try, it would be VIE or IST if they stay in Star due to the OS and TK hubs there - and TK in particular is aggressively growing. As much as I'd like some of the others, I don't see them as viable with larger aircraft, and most are too deep into central or eastern Europe for them to be in 757 range.

Iceland might be an interesting experiment with a 757, similar to the PHL-ANC experiment of a few years ago.

What's most likely on a widebody? I would actually guess a second daily seasonal PHL-MUC on a 767. US and LH do a lot of traffic through the FRA and MUC hubs, including to most of the destinations listed above.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dls25
UA is decreasing frequency
What is UA decreasing? I thought EWR-IST was a fairly new route that started? Also, I don't even mind connecting on US out of PHL to get to IST, what I mind is a $1,080 fare vs. UA out of EWR for $650 direct.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:04 am

US has never served VIE.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Iceland might be an interesting experiment with a 757, similar to the PHL-ANC experiment of a few years ago.
Actually US wouldn't even need a 757. The 2600mi flight from PHL-KEF is well within the range of an A321 (or any of the A320 series for that matter). Capacity would be the same as the TATL 752's if US swapped out the domestic F seats for Envoy barcoloungers (or even lie-flats like PMCO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.