Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Strategy for 3 PHL-MCO for Xmas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Upgrade Strategy for 3 PHL-MCO for Xmas

I'm looking at a flight for 3 people from PHL to MCO during Christmas time. 2 of us are Silver, the third is a child with no status. For best chances at upgrades, should I...

1) Put all 3 of us on 1 reservation?
2) Put the highest ranked Silver alone and the other 2 on a separate reservation?
3) Put the lowest ranked Silver alone and the other 2 on a separate reservation?

Please note the highest ranked Silver is just below 50,000 miles and the lowest just over 25,000 miles

Thanks in advance for any advice provided!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Man, that's a tough call. What's the equipment on the route?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
I've flown that route many times as a silver and never received an upgrade for one, much less three. Not sure if Christmas would factor in though.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Specifically which day and flight(s) are you looking at? If it's one of the days right before Christmas where everything will be full, you shouldn't expect an upgrade as a silver. Other days, especially during and right after the 25th, it may be much easier. My silver colleagues often get upgraded easily on this route during non-peak times.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Fly on Christmas day if possible-
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Flying there it would be the late flight on Thu, 12/20...coming home would be on Christmas day at noon
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:21 am

Option 3 is the best option, if you care about having the child in F. Remember that parents and kids can't be seperated.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Tough call. It's usually a A321 between MCO and PHL.

I did this trip last week with me (plat), son (silver) and my mom (nothing).

Didn't clear on the way out, but all 3 of us cleared together at the plat window coming back.

We traveled on a Thursday and came back on a Tuesday.

As a silver, I'd try to fly on a least demand day - like Christmas day. I agree with the others, option 3 would likely give the best results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.