Question About a Specific Fare Rule for Paid Ticket

Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Question Question About a Specific Fare Rule for Paid Ticket

I'm a definite newbie at figuring out fare rules and all that kind of thing. I normally use Kayak or something to figure out if it is possible without getting into much more detail than that. Now, my (extended) family is looking at taking a trip and I have a question about a specific fare rule for specific flights.

Here's what we'd like to do:

June 1, 2013
BGM - PHL (Looks like flights are available leaving BGM at around 2:00pm)

June 2, 2013
PHL - FCO (Flights are available leaving PHL at 6:15pm)

Then, we'll be returning and connecting through PHL with as little time between connections as (reasonably) possible a week or two later. We'll be splitting up into two groups and coming back on different days, but that part shouldn't be an issue.

So, when I look up flights on USAirways website, I get the ticket priced out under $1300 each by putting my departure date at 6/1/13 and my departure date at 6/2/13. But, when I do the "multi city" option, it comes out at like $1700.

I took a quick look at the fare (Y) on Expert Flyer and it says that unlimited transfers and stopovers are permitted, but I really don't trust that I know what I'm doing when it comes to determining fare rules.

Can somebody please help me out to determine if this is possible for the same $1300 price? If I need to provide more information, please let me know and I'll provide it. Also, how would I go about booking this ticket? Do I need to call or have a travel agent do it?

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
A quick browse of the non-Y bucket fare rules (since Y class on BGM-ROM is over $5000k and not what you're looking for) seems to indicate that 1 stopover at CLT or PHL should be allowed for free.

However, I think you'll need to call US to have them ticket this. The US website seems to only want to price it as BGM-PHL + PHL-ROM + ROM-BGM, which as you've seen is more expensive. The number of people taking them up on the free stopover is probably pretty low so having the website support it is also probably pretty low.

It should be easy for a reservations agent to price it and ticket it correctly for you.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Yup, you're right. Not sure why I thought that Y was the class I needed, but I looked it up and it is NHXETNE1. That one provides the free stopover in CLT/PHL and another one in Europe for 100 Euros. I may actually try to work that into my plans too because I'll be flying back out of VCE > PHL > BGM. I'll have to look into it, but I may be able to actually use VCE as my destination and do a stopover in FCO for 100 Euro and fly between the two rather than take the train. I'm not even sure if that's something I'd like to do, but now that I looked at the fare and it's allowed, it's intriguing. haha

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.