VX Pilot in US Cockpit?

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
As others have said, it was almost undoubtedly a commuting VX pilot riding the jumpseat. A pilot from another airline, even if qualified on the airplane, couldn't legally work a US flight or vice versa. Each airline has it's own training program which is approved by the FAA and no one who hasn't been through that training program can work one of their flights. Except for emergency situations like an incapacitated pilot where the other airline's pilot could assist in the cockpit, but that falls under the exemption from the rules in an emergency.

Jim
Jim, I haven't said it before, so let me take this opportunity to say that your posts are fantastic. I love the knowledge and experience that you bring to this merry band of flying people.

OM
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:14 am

Ya know it's really bad when pilots stand at intersections with hand-written signs saying "Will fly for food."

Jim
I thought it was bad when the 'will fly for food' sign ends up in the cockpit window (recall seeing a picture like this several years ago...)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If this were UA, it would be blamed on SHARES.
2. If this were AA, it would be blamed on the Chapter 11.
3. Since it's US, it's a cost-cutting measure. The guy was actually a US pilot, but US now buys random lots of unies from other carriers.
4. It's a stealth merger simply not publicly reported and will be paid for by devaluing miles.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:14 am

As Jim said the VX pilot could be commuting (not deadheading). Or the pilot could be jumpseating for a pleasure trip. When we go on vacation, I buy a ticket (since non-revving is impossible these days) and DH gets the jumpseat. He always travels in uniform in case there are no seats in the back and he has to take the actual jumpseat (which happens often). And, for me it's a bonus because I get to jump to the front line in security when I'm with him--my one perk since I can never non-rev anymore.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
As long as the pilot is in the CASS system and their airline has a jumpseat agreement with said carrier, they are allowed to occupy the flight deck jumpseat. Captain's discretion of course.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Ya know it's really bad when pilots stand at intersections with hand-written signs saying "Will fly for food."

Jim
I was recently had a flight delay in CLT. The GAs said they were trying to find a pilot. The way they said it, it sounded like someone was trying to round them up day laborer style.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: None
In a way, they could have been doing that - trying to rob Peter to pay Paul. While in theory there are reserves, it could be that on that day and airplane type there were no reserves available in CLT. The next step would be either get someone from another base or take someone off another trip to fill in and shorten the delay. There's also the possibility that scheduling was calling blockholders trying to find someone to fill in on their off day(s).

And the whole thing could have involved the east/west flying split, making it harder to find a quick replacement.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.