Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage size

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Luggage size

I feel like a total newbie and I should know the answer to this. I recently bought a 29" Travelpro suitcase. The combined size is 62 inches. I want to check the luggage not carry it on. I know better than that. I did ask about the size when I purchased it.

According to the US site 62 and over is oversize the way I read it.
Oversize checked bags

+ $175 each
Dimensions between 62 – 80 in/157 – 203 cm

Travelpro says it not oversize.

Do I need to buy a new suitcase? Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
62 in. is technically the limit, so is the agent going to call you out for a bag that's 62 on the nose? Most likely not. Should they? No. But for my money, it's one hell of a calculated risk for $175.

Travelpro wouldn't be in a position to comment on whether it was oversize, as each airline's requirements vary slightly.

Last edited by MikeORD; Aug 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm Reason: Stupidity
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

That is what I am thinking. I know not to take the word of Travelpro but asked that question when I purchased it and then again today. I can use it when cruising but don't want to gamble at the airport.

I don't want to hear are you feeling lucky today safetymom? Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Has anyone actually ever seen an agent measure the bag? As a 75-100K flyer for the past 15 years I have yet to see a bag get measured. Thrown on the scale all the time, but actually whip out a tape measure and apply it to the bag?

Cheers,
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I am sure my bags are over 62" and nobody said a thing. Even dragons at LH in MUC! They charged me extra bag but not heavier let alone bigger bag. Granted this was not overly bigger just more than 62" for sure.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
They can be Jerks - it varies by station and employee

Transporting an in-first class cabin puppy dog in an approved kennel, the check-in staff in CDG insisted that all food and water be removed to allow passage and meet the KG limit. We were over by 16 oz. Good luck to that LH (contract) representative's Karma in her life travels!

Last edited by TPA us ff; Aug 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Transporting an in-first class cabin puppy dog in an approved kennel, the check-in staff in CDG insisted that all food and water be removed to allow passage and meet the KG limit. We were over by 16 oz. Good luck to that LH (contract) representative's Karma in her life travels!
I deal with lots of folks heading to Disney World that tell stories of their bag being measured.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I fly all over the country regularly from MCO and the only bags I've seen measured are carry-ons. I've never seen (or heard of) checked bags being measured. Weighed always, but never measured. I'm sure if something is clearly extra large, over weight, etc. it might cause an agent to do it, but they definitely appear much more concerned about weight.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
I hardly ever get a carry-on or checked luggage measured. Of course i try not to push it too much..

One trick i have used in the past for a carry-on that marginally complies with the restrictions is keeping the brochure of the luggage in one of its pocket. The few times i was asked to fit it in the measurement bins (and i couldn't), i just showed them the manufacturer's brochure that stated the dimensions.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by safetymom
I feel like a total newbie and I should know the answer to this. I recently bought a 29" Travelpro suitcase. The combined size is 62 inches. I want to check the luggage not carry it on. I know better than that. I did ask about the size when I purchased it.

According to the US site 62 and over is oversize the way I read it.
Oversize checked bags

+ $175 each
Dimensions between 62 – 80 in/157 – 203 cm

Travelpro says it not oversize.

Do I need to buy a new suitcase? Thanks.
Most manufacturers have 29" spinners as Travelpro. The same question will come up with them.

Everyone does their best to conform to the airline requirements. In our case, we were founded by a pilot. We have an intimate understanding of changing airline requirements. At the same time, we don't have control over the requirements.

You should be alright the 29" spinner.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I have a large LL Bean rolling duffel bag that I'm fairly sure it's a few inches over 62. Checked it on US, WN, DL, UA and B6 and nobody has ever batted an eye.

I think they're more on the lookout for boxes and bags that are blatantly over the size limit, though as always YMMV...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Just an update

They didn't measure it. It was only 34 pounds when they weighed it. Agent was surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.