Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATC Error at DCA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
ATC Error at DCA

I haven't seen this posted here yet. This is a pretty well written article on a recent loss of separation between three USX jets in the DCA area:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8711DN20120802
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:42 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
All three were RAH planes. 2 Republic and 1 Chautauqua.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
According to the Washington Post, it was a EMB 135. I didnt think US contracted for any jet under 50 seats (e.g., EMB 145 or CRJ 200)....
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:58 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by ITRADE
According to the Washington Post, it was a EMB 135. I didnt think US contracted for any jet under 50 seats (e.g., EMB 145 or CRJ 200)....
Its possible that the flight was on one of our generic E135's that was an equipment swap. But it isnt contracted that way.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
They might be looking at FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CHQ3071) which shows it consistently as an E135. This is likely just bad data or a filing as "E135/145 series" or similar - FlightAware, as good as it is, often has quirks in equipment type listings.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
I was on US 3329, the incoming PWM to DCA flight (Brickyard 3329). We were on final and suddenly did 2 tight circles at about 2000 feet. Pilot came on during second circle and said they were turning the airport around and had some traffic issues. I didn't know it was big deal until I was flying back to PWM on Thursday and read about it.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by veliger
I was on US 3329, the incoming PWM to DCA flight (Brickyard 3329). We were on final and suddenly did 2 tight circles at about 2000 feet. Pilot came on during second circle and said they were turning the airport around and had some traffic issues. I didn't know it was big deal until I was flying back to PWM on Thursday and read about it.
And that's exactly what happened. Another overreaction by the media. The only person it was a "deal" for was the controller...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MavSeven
And that's exactly what happened. Another overreaction by the media. The only person it was a "deal" for was the controller...
This is a bigger deal because of the failure to report the issue. Otherwise, in spite of the separation violations, there doesn't appear to have been an imminent threat to life. However, finding out from a reporter about something that could have been more serious with less luck is a problem and points to more serious issues in local ATC.

That said, I posted the Reuters article rather than the Washington Post one because the latter was more needlessly dramatic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.