Cost of Airfare on US! Boo!

Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: CP on US and many more...
Cost of Airfare on US! Boo!

Has anyone else noticed the extreme price hilkes on US? What's going on? It's not fuel as other carriers are not hiking prices. It's cheaper to fly international on other carriers then to travel domestic on US in some cases.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:03 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Could you provide some examples?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pswider
Has anyone else noticed the extreme price hilkes on US? What's going on? It's not fuel as other carriers are not hiking prices. It's cheaper to fly international on other carriers then to travel domestic on US in some cases.
Are you referring to price increases or is this about the smaller # of deep discount seats available as capacity cuts force more people into higher fare buckets?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
I've noticed on some routes the airfares change almost daily. On weekends, sometimes even Friday, the airfare goes up, then on Tuesday the fare comes back down again. I thought maybe it was lesiure travelers that tend to book on weekends driving the trend. Check the fare on Tuesday and see if its still higher than normal.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Free Agent
Yes I've noticed on fares to just about anywhere from Florida. Within 2-3 weeks they tend to equalize with the competition, but advance purchases are much higher.

Example of a few of my recent searches: FLL-SEA early June, Friday departure Sunday return, NON-redeye: UA = 373, US = 712.

Same criteria different weekend in June, FLL-LAX - UA 363, Spirit 168, US 533.

I've flown UA more in the past year. It's not so bad in coach. I have been able to score some decent UA codeshare fares on US metal - so check that out too.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
I am paying about 15% more this year versus last year on the same routes, I would guess that this is mostly due to fuel prices being higher this year. I travel monthly from PHL to FAT, usually through PHX.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Don't buy them.

Bing cheaper to fly A destination than B destination is nearly meaningless. Airfares are only loosely correlated to distance.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Airlines are unfortunately showing some discipline on supply. High fuel costs have probably forced their hand...in previous post-recessionary periods, they'd rapidly add seats and compete aggressively for share of market. This time, everybody's being a little more conservative. So as the economy grows and overall demand grows, the leisure travelers are gradually squeezed off the plane. The airlines don't need to sell those $99 transcons to fill seats anymore.

In the domestic U.S. market, I think the shift in Southwest's corporate strategy has affected all other airlines as well. Following the past two U.S. recessions, WN was in hardcore growth mode - adding cities, adding flights, aggressively competing on price. Their rate of growth coming out of the '08-'09 recession was far slower, plus they'd established themselves as a national player with pricing power of their own. (Check their fares these days...they frequently command a premium over the legacies.)

Anyway, I don't notice higher fares specifically on US. Across the board, the cheap leisure fares are mostly gone. The walk-up fares are up sharply because WN has risen their Anytime fares so much, allowing legacies to follow them in a ton of markets. The midrange fares I tend to use for business travel actually haven't been too bad...maybe I've been lucky.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by lisah101
I've noticed on some routes the airfares change almost daily. On weekends, sometimes even Friday, the airfare goes up, then on Tuesday the fare comes back down again. I thought maybe it was lesiure travelers that tend to book on weekends driving the trend. Check the fare on Tuesday and see if its still higher than normal.
I used to consistently book all travel on Sat AM...just was convenient, quiet time for me to do so. But several times times flights came in so high I waited- and they were far less on Monday.

As I no longer do this, I am unsure if it is still the case...

What always amazes me is the cost out of CLT...especially CLT to PHL!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by pinniped
The airlines don't need to sell those $99 transcons to fill seats anymore.
It still happens occasionally. US was selling PHL-LAX nonstop rt's for about $240 all-in in February.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by tommyleo
It still happens occasionally. US was selling PHL-LAX nonstop rt's for about $240 all-in in February.
That was a direct result of VX announcing PHL to LAX/SFO at ... wait for it ... the exact same price. $119 e/w

Personally, I'm glad VX is there to keep prices on that route down - I was paying min $450 r/t PHL to LAX last year.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
That was a direct result of VX announcing PHL to LAX/SFO at ... wait for it ... the exact same price. $119 e/w
I'm pretty sure US's price was less than VX's. US's was undercutting VX for a while!

(EDIT to add...)

Confirmed: See here.

Last edited by tommyleo; Apr 14, 2012 at 6:51 am
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So painful seeing the higher fares.

Once in a while, i'll see a decent fare (transcon eastbound departing midday saturday, but getting a decent fare back has always been tricky). However, i've had to adjust my expectations higher.

There are some decent first class domestic fares. Just poking around and saw PHL-LAS for $300ish each way. When coach is going for $200ish each way, it's pretty tempting just to pay for first.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:25 pm

CLT <=> SEA has jumped in price as well, not sure if that correlates to a seasonal change or not, but the flights used to be about $370 RT but if you don't do saturday over they're now over $700 RT! Going to Sat => Thursday drops the price into $4xx or so but it's still painful because they have a monopoly on that route (and the flights are always full -- as a Gold I've had 0/8 upgrades this year whereas as a silver last year I'd get the upgrades about 20% of the time).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
also have similar feelings recently. last year, us airways are lower than others. this year, the other way around.
from SFO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.