Search

Is changing name on DM so easy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Is changing name on DM so easy?

Was surprised that I could change my wife's name online, without any documentation. There was a note that said they would get back to me if they had issues. Do they really get back?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: US Gold; National Executive Elite; Hyatt Platinum
Yes, its that easy. They never responded back to me and changed my last name.

I was surprised, since even to change my name on all the hotel reward programs I had to provide marriage license.

If I had to guess, perhaps they only contact you if it seems suspicious....such as changing first name and birthdate....which could mean you are transfering account to family member.

As a side note, I wish I would of kept my maiden name for DM since my passport was my maiden name. I had to get an entire new passport as if it was my first.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
What do you mean by transferring to a family member with the same birthdate ?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by rachlm927
As a side note, I wish I would of kept my maiden name for DM since my passport was my maiden name. I had to get an entire new passport as if it was my first.
I'm not sure that's correct. Here's what I found on the DoS website for the standard mail renewal form (DS-82):

Submit form DS-82 if ALL of the following are true:

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

*Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
*Was issued when you were age 16 or older
*Was issued within the last 15 years
*Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change
Wouldn't a marriage license constitute legal documentation of a name change? I know it's acceptable for changing your last name on your driver's license (at least in New York State).

If the passport was less than 12 months old, you can use form DS-5504. It's an even simpler process and you don't have to pay the passport fee again.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by UA Fan
What do you mean by transferring to a family member with the same birthdate ?
??

She said "changing first name and birthdate" - I change Rich, born in 1985 to Steve born in 1980. i.e., transfer my account to a family member, my brother.

I would hope US has some way to prevent/detect such changes, especially if you can also change last name, address, etc. That would make fraud rather easy.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: US Gold; National Executive Elite; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I'm not sure that's correct. Here's what I found on the DoS website for the standard mail renewal form (DS-82):

Wouldn't a marriage license constitute legal documentation of a name change? I know it's acceptable for changing your last name on your driver's license (at least in New York State).

If the passport was less than 12 months old, you can use form DS-5504. It's an even simpler process and you don't have to pay the passport fee again.
Yes, I had to do the DS82....What I meant was I had to get new picture, pay renewal fee, and get a new booklet. My orginal passport was only 2 years old. Just saying if I had to do again, I would have waited a bit longer.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by rachlm927
Yes, I had to do the DS82....What I meant was I had to get new picture, pay renewal fee, and get a new booklet. My orginal passport was only 2 years old. Just saying if I had to do again, I would have waited a bit longer.
Gotcha, I misunderstood - thought they made you apply as if it was original (in person at the post office, bring your birth certificate, etc....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.