Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied entry into US Club because I'm under 21?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Denied entry into US Club because I'm under 21?

Is this something new? I figured with the membership age being 18 for US Clubs, they'd allow 18+ into their clubs. I just tried to get into a club with my UA membership, but was denied since I'm under 21. How does that make sense?

Granted, I shouldn't have the UA membership since their policy is 21, but they sold it to me anyways. Either way, it shouldn't be US's concern?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JustinV
Is this something new? I figured with the membership age being 18 for US Clubs, they'd allow 18+ into their clubs. I just tried to get into a club with my UA membership, but was denied since I'm under 21. How does that make sense?

Granted, I shouldn't have the UA membership since their policy is 21, but they sold it to me anyways. Either way, it shouldn't be US's concern?
This does sound weird. I've entered US Clubs with my US Club membership card while I was under 21. Did you ask why they were applying (what appears to be) a double standard to you as a UA club member?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Weird... only time I've ever had to show ID going into a club was if I didn't have my club card on me.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Well if its the UA policy is that you have be 21 and over, then they are just enforcing that policy. You've already said you know you arent supposed to be a member.

And there is no double-standard here, US and UA have two different policies about who can and cant be a member. It would seem to me that US is enforcing the UA policy of who can be a UA Club member.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Just use a form of ID that doesn't include your age next time.

Problem solved.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Well if its the UA policy is that you have be 21 and over, then they are just enforcing that policy. You've already said you know you arent supposed to be a member.

And there is no double-standard here, US and UA have two different policies about who can and cant be a member. It would seem to me that US is enforcing the UA policy of who can be a UA Club member.
It's not US's job to enforce who UA sells memberships to.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Sadly this is yet another indication of the petty, nickle & dime attitude of US.

US doesn't see him as a customer, they see him as a spread sheet entry under liability. They look at the denial as 3 bags of pretzels, 2 bags of chips saved as opposed to a loyal FF'er who had he been granted entrance may have become a lifelong US customer.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Which airport? Some cities and states actually have liquor laws banning anyone under 21 from anything classed as a "bar." Which may be a restaurant or a lounge, depending on the class on the license.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: US Air, Hilton, Priority Club, AA, UA
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Which airport? Some cities and states actually have liquor laws banning anyone under 21 from anything classed as a "bar." Which may be a restaurant or a lounge, depending on the class on the license.
IN Massachusetts a minor (under 21) is not allowed to enter a bar unless in the presence of an adult over 21. Most Lounges have open bars, thus the City State laws require that carding be done at the front desk.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheAdvocate
Sadly this is yet another indication of the petty, nickle & dime attitude of US.

US doesn't see him as a customer, they see him as a spread sheet entry under liability. They look at the denial as 3 bags of pretzels, 2 bags of chips saved as opposed to a loyal FF'er who had he been granted entrance may have become a lifelong US customer.
How is this automatically US nickle and diming?? It could be US enforcing the membership policies of their partner. Or as DC Patti said it could also be US enforcing the applicable local liquor laws.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chrisny2
It's not US's job to enforce who UA sells memberships to.
But if any sort of admittance guidelines have been established then they obligated to enforce them.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:05 pm

Which location is definitely relevant. I recall there was some specific state where one airline had previously been cited and were at risk of losing their liquor license for the lounge if cited again. The rules vary heavily from state to state.

Also fwiw there was a long-running thread on the AC board you might find interesting about an SE (AC's top tier) member who wasn't allowed in the lounges because he was under 18. IIRC he got the policy changed for SEs in the end though he may be the only person it affected.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:32 pm

Pennsylvania it's illegal for someone under 21 to enter a licensed establishment unless accompanied by parent, guardian ... or an adult over 25.

I'm surprised that US would even sell a membership to someone under 21.

The LCB in PA has big fangs, and isn't afraid to use them. If they want you out of the alcohol business, they will find a reason to pull your license, and getting one in the first place is quite an ordeal.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
I'm surprised that US would even sell a membership to someone under 21.
Why do people comment without reading and taking time to comprehend the OP? US didn't sell the membership: United did.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Boston lounge. Just admitted into the PHX lounge, so there seems to be no problem here.

I've been admitted to the UA lounge in BOS, too. So I understand that I'm under 21, but it can't be the law since UA let me in and they don't have a cash bar, it's free. I didn't make much of a scene, since I do understand that UA sold me something they shouldn't have. However, the lounge guy said specifically that they do not admit under 21s to this lounge, despite me saying that US sells membership to 18+...

It just seemed strange to have such a double standard like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.