Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Been One Week Since the SQ Miracle - How did YOU Benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
It's Been One Week Since the SQ Miracle - How did YOU Benefit?

Last Saturday, 7/7/11, SQ unintentionally gave the *A, FT, miles-collecting community a real surprise - a true Christmas in July - when they released all F and J award inventory (previously reserved for Krissflyer redemptions only) to their partners, such as AC, UA and of course, US.

I propose - since I know I'm not the only one who took advantage of this "mishap" - this thread be a place to discuss itineraries, ways we've maximized our miles and of course, discussions (including "oohs" and "ahhhs") on others' itineraries.

I'll start. No need for a specific format, though I think simpler is better. Here's what I did....

Miles Used: 140k (x2)
Tax: $238.xx (x2)
Departing: Mid-February, 2013
Itinerary:
YVR-SFO (UA F)
SFO-ICN-SIN (SQ 777-300 F)
SIN-SYD (SQ 777-300 F) - destination and open-jaw
MEL-SIN (SQ 777-300 F)
SIN-ICN (SQ 333 J) - I know, but the timing of this flight worked better
ICN-LAX (OZ 747 F)
LAX-PHX-YVR (US F)

There are three notes to my itinerary:
1) I'm really hopeful that by 02/13, SQ decides to upgrade either the SIN-SYD or MEL-SIN flights to an A380... Can anyone say suites class!!!?!???

2) When deciding on the SIN-LAX/SFO options, I decided on OZ F rather than SQ J (on the A380), because F is F and I have been wanting to try out OZ F for a while now. The downside, was the positioning flight in short-haul, domestic J, but I thought it would be worth it.

3) I find it funny that YVR-SIN would have been 160k in F, but since we're continuing to SYD/MEL, we're only paying 140k Gotta love mileage redemption charts, eh?

Alrighty...Comments? Questions? Who's next? Let the fun story-telling begin!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
This isn't much compared to you, but...

Switched my XXX-YYZ-FRA on AC J to XXX-JFK-FRA on SQ C. A380, no less, and only paid $5 in taxes.

What a nice way to start my semester in Germany. ^
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PurduExpat37
This isn't much compared to you, but...

Switched my XXX-YYZ-FRA on AC J to XXX-JFK-FRA on SQ C. A380, no less, and only paid $5 in taxes.

What a nice way to start my semester in Germany. ^
Have a blast! I did a semester in Rome and loved it - I'm sure Germany will be no less awesome. Plus, $5?? How the poop did you pull that one off?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Switched my November legs from SYD - BKK - FRA on TG F to SYD - SIN - MUC on SQ F. 300$ change fee but Amex Plat gave me 200$ back.

Booked SIN-MLE-SIN in J in March for $40x2 and 30k miles x2. Getting to SIN on a one-way UA award SFO-SIN in SQ F (70k miles x2 and $5 x2). Getting home via RGN on my KE F mistake fare.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmk2135
Switched my November legs from SYD - BKK - FRA on TG F to SYD - SIN - MUC on SQ F. 300$ change fee but Amex Plat gave me 200$ back.

Booked SIN-MLE-SIN in J in March for $40x2 and 30k miles x2. Getting to SIN on a one-way UA award SFO-SIN in SQ F (70k miles x2 and $5 x2). Getting home via RGN on my KE F mistake fare.
^ Lucky duck - wish I got on the RGN fare
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I hate you all.

I was ALREADY in HKG on a *A award when this SQ opportunity came about. HKG-SIN-FRA-JFK in SQ F,F, and J were available for my July 11 return -- but US wouldn't let me change my return from HKG-BKK-FRA-JFK in TG F(2x) and LH J. I still had a great time flying home -- but oh what could have been!!!!

Last edited by tommyleo; Jul 14, 2012 at 7:22 am
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ariyo15
Last Saturday, 7/7/11, SQ unintentionally gave the *A, FT, miles-collecting community a real surprise - a true Christmas in July - when they released all F and J award inventory (previously reserved for Krissflyer redemptions only) to their partners, such as AC, UA and of course, US.

I propose - since I know I'm not the only one who took advantage of this "mishap" - this thread be a place to discuss itineraries, ways we've maximized our miles and of course, discussions (including "oohs" and "ahhhs") on others' itineraries.

I'll start. No need for a specific format, though I think simpler is better. Here's what I did....

Miles Used: 140k (x2)
Tax: $238.xx (x2)
Departing: Mid-February, 2013
Itinerary:
YVR-SFO (UA F)
SFO-ICN-SIN (SQ 777-300 F)
SIN-SYD (SQ 777-300 F) - destination and open-jaw
MEL-SIN (SQ 777-300 F)
SIN-ICN (SQ 333 J) - I know, but the timing of this flight worked better
ICN-LAX (OZ 747 F)
LAX-PHX-YVR (US F)

There are three notes to my itinerary:
1) I'm really hopeful that by 02/13, SQ decides to upgrade either the SIN-SYD or MEL-SIN flights to an A380... Can anyone say suites class!!!?!???

2) When deciding on the SIN-LAX/SFO options, I decided on OZ F rather than SQ J (on the A380), because F is F and I have been wanting to try out OZ F for a while now. The downside, was the positioning flight in short-haul, domestic J, but I thought it would be worth it.

3) I find it funny that YVR-SIN would have been 160k in F, but since we're continuing to SYD/MEL, we're only paying 140k Gotta love mileage redemption charts, eh?

Alrighty...Comments? Questions? Who's next? Let the fun story-telling begin!

The SQ Flood-Gates couldn't have come at a better time, I and my family recently reloaded our US accounts with more miles from the June 100% bonus.

I used mine for positionings to go against some of the RGN fares I have, apparently I have 8 Long Haul tickets in the next 12 months to use

Miles Used: 160k
Tax: $142.xx
Departing: Early January, trip finishes Early June
YYZ-SFO (UA 319 F)
SFO-ICN-SIN (SQ 77W F)
SIN-HKG (UA 744 F) Destination
HKG-SIN (SQ 77W F) Stopover
SIN-HKG-SFO (SQ 77W F)
SFO-ORD-YYZ (UA F)

I originally wanted YYZ-JFK-SFO on the PS. F but did the non-stop so I can party with my YYZ friends for one more night then hungover getting on that 7am YYZ-SFO.
Was very lucky to find that SFO-ICN-SIN SQ F just around the New Years travel week!
SIN-HKG, wanted to try the UA 744 F just for the hell of it, but not on a long sector, this was a nice compromise on a new product for myself

HKG-SIN, I booked it on any random date possible where I didn't have other trips but looking back should've booked it on the SIN DO weekend.

SIN-HKG-SFO-ORD-YYZ, was just looking for any dates around that period since I was overloaded with long haul tickets.
Unfortunately I was restricted by the 330 days rules on UA so I couldn't book my trip any later. I didn't even think of booking SIN-DME-IAH, stupid on my part.

I personally would've love the book the 140 to Down Under, but man there was no way I would have so many days off. 160 kinda sucks but you know what, it was an opportunity to try something that most people never have a chance to ride on.

Miles Used: 120K (x2)
Tax: $177.xx (x2)
Departing: Late November
HKG-SIN (SQ 388 J)
SIN-FRA (SQ 77W F)
FRA-FCO (LH 321 J) Destination
FCO-FRA (LH 321 J)
FRA-JFK (SQ 388 C)
JFK-SFO (UA 752 F) Stopover
SFO-ICN (SQ 77W F)
ICN-HKG (OZ 744 C)

Parents were debating on a cruise couple days prior to "SQ Gate", New England around Mid Oct or Mediterrean in Early Dec. I pushed them towards the latter.
Didn't know where to route their Stopover on the way back, they wanted Osaka, or Nagoya but I couldn't route via SQ F if so.
Plus I wanted the DOT's protection just in case, so route them the long way home, but we do have some far-away relatives in SFO.
I wanted to book SFO-SIN via ICN, then SIN-HKG but they refused.
I've had a lot of bad experience on OZ planes where the US ticket number doesnt stick on the OZ side so OZ would cancel their side of the reservation and cause a big mess.
Parents argued it would be last leg so even if its ICN-HKG, its alot easier to fix than a long haul flight.
That being said, my parents are excited to fly SQ F and they've done CX, LH, LX, TG 77W F before too
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:33 am
wfb

Programs: US, UA, Hilton Gold, ex-1K
Had a booking in Asiana F
AVL-CLT-JFK-ICN-NRT
NRT-ICN-JFK-CLT-AVL

Changed the return to Singapore F
NRT-SIN-DME-IAH-CLT-AVL

That's a lot more flying, but in SQ F. I'm thankful to avoid an unwelcome forced overnight in Seoul and a 7-hour layover at JFK. Also I'll get an afternoon/evening 9-hr layover in SIN to visit an old college friend who lives there. Perfect timing for a pub crawl.

$150 change fee plus $24 more in taxes. Couldn't be happier.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Are these seats still available, or did they shut down access to US passengers by now? I have been traveling too much to keep up with Flyer Talk lately!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chrisphx
Are these seats still available, or did they shut down access to US passengers by now? I have been traveling too much to keep up with Flyer Talk lately!
Gone, i'm afraid.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:51 pm

My trip mostly all in SQ-F

LAX-SFO--UA-F
SFO-HKG--SIN SQ-F
SFO-BOM--SQ-F
BOM-SIN--SQ-F
SIN-HKG-SFO--SQ-F
SFO-LAX UA-F

Taxes $112
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:13 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
MSY-IAH-DME on UA/SQ for my birthday in September with my +1
MSY-SFO-HKG on UA/SQ in January. May add segments or cancel depending on work.

Financed mostly with US trackitback miles and UA bis miles.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
It was enormous fun and it was thanks to US that I heard about it so thanks, up till now I have only used the account for cheap first fares on TG but SQ has taken over all this years flights up to HKG via SIN and now they are all in First. No more 772 in business for a while, overnighting up from MEL through BKK and no more herringbone trips down on Cathay (so I will have to do something about those CX tickets too) . Love when these hiccups happen, make a decision and fly by the seat of your pants
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
None. SQ is overrated. I'm very happy with all of my existing CX F bookings, which is far superior than the beat up SQ 77W F/J.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
None. SQ is overrated. I'm very happy with all of my existing CX F bookings, which is far superior than the beat up SQ 77W F/J.
Who says you can't have the best of BOTH worlds? I have a YVR-HKG(stop)-NRT/(destination)/KIX-TPE(stop)-HKG-YVR trip coming up in CX F/J in August (thanks to old BA redemption rules) and, as you can see by the OP, that didn't stop me from jumping all over this deal!

For those curious, no - I had no intention of going to Australia anytime in the next year (or even two). Sure I have it on my "to do list," but wasn't rushing to get there. That said, with an opportunity like this, I couldn't say no. Naturally, my +1 wasn't too disappointed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.