Wiki Posts
Search

The CC Spiel Must Die

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
The CC Spiel Must Die

Today, MSP to PHL about 75% of the way home and I am dead asleep.

A wayyy too chipper FA tries to tell us all about how this flight was specially selected to recieve this wonderful offer, and then went over 4 minutes of sell and post sell and walk through. And for the final, when deplaning stood in the way of all the passangers exiting, and tried to get everyone to just take one and try it!

All I wanted to do was sleep. The FC FA ran a quick pass through with one drink and then the snack basket then disappeared to the galley to read a stolen newspaper.

I fly every week and magically every flight I am on is a "special" flight, specailly selected to recieve this magic offer........

Z

PS: Post merge in 3,,,2,,,,1,,,,,,
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
I hate these spiels with a passion!

Maybe another perk of flying USX by Republic, none of those CC pitches!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I keep meaning to time their CC spiel vs their safety spiel and ask them again what their purpose on the aircraft is: are they there for our safety or to deliver us great deals?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
They make $75.00 extra for each approved application...but it is a good deal, so take two...and put your wife down also...

Good to see the FA excited about something...instead of reading a newspaper..with a Do not disturb sign on their rear.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by satman40
Good to see the FA excited about something..
I don't agree that it's good that an FA is excited about something that has nothing to do with airline safety and serves only to annoy me on a flight.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:42 am

It is time for you to invest in a pair of Bose Noise Cancelling headsets. I never hear the talk and sleep like a baby with them on.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: USAirways CP, Marriott PL PR, Hertz President Cir, Hilton Silver
Please end it now
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by satman40
They make $75.00 extra for each approved application...but it is a good deal, so take two...and put your wife down also...

Good to see the FA excited about something...instead of reading a newspaper..with a Do not disturb sign on their rear.
Last I heard it was $50 so it must have been increased.

I agree with all sentiments. Truly AWFUL. Was just woken up by one on my DCA-PHX flight.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:22 pm

I personally don't do the CC, but I can't fault those that do as many of them really need the money. Several people I know do quite well with it bringing in an extra $1000 a month. I just ask that they read the script as published and make one pass thru the cabin.
Sorry it woke you up. If you were dead asleep how do you know the f/a didn't come back through? And sorry but I think the "stolen newspaper" comment was a little tacky unless they took it out of your hands while you were sleeping.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:18 am

Flew DCA - LAS last night, departing DCA at 9 PM EDT. An hour before landing in LAS -- so at the equivalent of 1 AM EDT -- they did this spiel, just after I'd managed to fall asleep. I thought it was tacky and insensitive to the passengers on board. If they'd done it an hour into the flight, rather than an hour from the end at such a late hour, I wouldn't have cared.

As it was, it instantly lost US Air the good will they'd gained with me over my last few on time, well staffed east coast flights. I'd gone so far as toying with shifting my mileage collection from UA to US once I requalify for UA for next year. No way in heck I do that now.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The best time to do it is toward the end of the flight, fill out the forms, and give it to the FA, other wise it might get lost in the seat back...

Any good salesman dose the presentation and ask for the close, the first one who opens their mouth owns the product.

If it keeps prices down who cares. $99.00 companion ticked and miles, not bad and another trip for free, Put the Bose headphones on if you are a regular you know it is coming....Newbie it's a good deal..
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA
It's enough to make me book away. I just sat through it to and from SXM, which they probably consider a ripe target audience. First the spiel including something about spending more than $89 for my ticket today and this "Fantastic Offer", then a walk through asking each passenger if they're interested, followed by a return the the PA to answer "frequently asked questions".

Seriously US, I'm not captive to your routes, I won't book more flights if I have to continue to listen to this. I would rather hear a screaming child or a loud cell phone talker.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
While I find the announcements incredibly annoying and sometimes a bit misleading.... I have no problem with them making it.

What I do mind, is while sitting in FC, with my eyes closed, and my headphones on.. the FA tapping me on the shoulder to see if I want to apply for a CC. It's happened now on multiple flights with different FAs.

Make your announcement. Walk through the cabin. But don't interrupt people from whatever they may be doing as you walk around. Tacky.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Okierider
It is time for you to invest in a pair of Bose Noise Cancelling headsets. I never hear the talk and sleep like a baby with them on.
Agree on a decent headset. I have a cheaper version, but it still works nicely. Since I've come to expect this during the last 30-45 min of the flight, I just listen to my music, watch my movie, whatever.

Unless I'm asleep with my seatbelt undone or the seat back and there's turbulance or we're getting ready to land, there is no reason for the FA to tap me on the shoulder. I would definitely write in, with details as to the flight, where I was seated, and a description of the FA.

If this really bothers you, or the way the FA does it, write in to CS. Yes, there are some people at US who browse FT, but if it is that irksome, a formal complaint is the way to go.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
And sorry but I think the "stolen newspaper" comment was a little tacky unless they took it out of your hands while you were sleeping.
+1. A pointless slur against FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.