Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Does anyone know if its possible to move up from a connection to a direct flight? I know it technically may not be allowed, but has anyone been able to recently do it?

Also, on that note, is it possible to go from a BDL-PHL-PIT flight to a BDL-DCA-PIT flight? (I'm looking to take the BDL-PIT direct, but that may not be an option)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by usAir
Does anyone know if its possible to move up from a connection to a direct flight? I know it technically may not be allowed, but has anyone been able to recently do it?

Also, on that note, is it possible to go from a BDL-PHL-PIT flight to a BDL-DCA-PIT flight? (I'm looking to take the BDL-PIT direct, but that may not be an option)
Can't comment on the 2 to 1 segment change, but the change in connection point city is entirely allowed.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
So i haven't used moveup much since the changes so I'm still a little confused, especially since i can't get a straight answer from US. I'm on slc-phx-mco tomorrow. SLC leaves around 5:30 pm and phx leaves around 11:00 pm. If i want to moveup to the 1pm slc and 4pm phx is that doable or do both segments need to be in the 6hr window? Thanks

Go Gators
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator
So i haven't used moveup much since the changes so I'm still a little confused, especially since i can't get a straight answer from US. I'm on slc-phx-mco tomorrow. SLC leaves around 5:30 pm and phx leaves around 11:00 pm. If i want to moveup to the 1pm slc and 4pm phx is that doable or do both segments need to be in the 6hr window? Thanks
The connection departure time is irrelevant. The 6 hour timeframe is only in reference to your origin. If you are trying to get out of SLC on the 1PM departure to PHX, they will book you on the first connection to MCO when you check in at SLC. Sometimes the kiosk will offer the earlier flight, so you might want to try the kiosk first. If the kiosk doesn't offer the move-up option, ask an agent to assist. Unlike a non-stop, modifying a connecting flight is a bit more work for the agent, as they have to make the changes within your reservation instead of just a simple check-in entry, but it should all be done at one time at SLC and shouldn't take too long.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by usAir

No, it's no longer allowed to go from Connection to Direct. Must have the same number of segments (nonstop and direct are both single segment, since they have one flight number from origin to destination).

The connecting city is irrelevant. You will be able to go on the earlier DCA connection, provided that both flights are available when they check you in at BDL, and that the flight out of BDL is within 6 hours of the original departure time.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Do you have to be at the airport to use move up, or can you ask the Chairman's line to do it for you day of the flight?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by CarterS
Let me start by saying that I dislike the SDC policy as well. United and Delta do clearly have US beat in this regard - no argument there. I was Platinum on Delta this last year and that was one of the high points. Yet on the other hand don't delude yourself - the grass isn't always greener. Your profile indicates you have US Silver status, so let's take a moment and realize what you would get on the other two carriers if you held a comparable status on them. With United (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...daychange.aspx) you don't get a move up/ same day for free, in fact, you don't even get a discount, likewise with delta (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html) . Delta does not extend its Silver members the courtesy of companion upgrades, and we all know the likelihood of upgrades on both as a Silver. US rewards you (a Silver Preferred) with the exact same benefits as a Chairman's with respect to move-ups and upgrades with the exception of the upgrade window. Even then it's not unheard of for you to actually get upgrades, trust me I know of Golds on UA winding up #35 on the list. So caveat emperator my friend, picket to your heart's content, fly the other airlines and pay their fees, but realize that the policy that you advocate for, while it would be great for me and other upper tier preferred, would yield no move up benefits at all for you and other Silvers. I'd be fine sending more benefits to Gold and up, a la UA and DL, but realize that comes at the expense of currently well-treated Silvers. <....>
Everything you say is correct. You make a great argument that for Silver, the US Move-up program, with all its buffoonery, is better than either DL or UA.
It's just totally perverse that such an intense cross-over exists for higher status fliers. In most situations, I would venture that the more one flies, the more one values flexibility, yet with US, comparitively, the more one flies the less one gains in this flexibility.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by finster869
Do you have to be at the airport to use move up, or can you ask the Chairman's line to do it for you day of the flight?
Move Up can only be done at airport. Chairman's line can sometines do wonderful things, but not this one ...

Best if you could check flight availability before heading out to airport.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by nefanboy
I am a United man, and after my experience on US Airways yesterday I vowed to never fly them again. Ever. I was booked on the 5:50 PM IAH to BOS with stop in PHL. Same flight number 880 for entire trip. Meetings for the day were over and I arrived at IAH at 1PM, with plenty of time to switch flights, pay the $75, and get on the 3PM to Boston with a connection in CLT. I was told I could not because I was booked on a "direct" and could not swith to a flight with a connection. Period. I expalined it really isn't a direct flight...but she wouldn't budge and actually enjoyed ruining my day. I can understand the vice versa (can't switch to direct if booked on connecting flight) but why the other way around? I know I am only star silver (will be gold after one more flight) and I was laughed at by US Airways to think star silver would make any difference in the decision. So I sat at IAH for almost 5 hours despising US Airways and their nasty, horrible and uncaring employees. I will not be sad to see them leave Star Alliance if the merger with AA goes through.
OUCH !!!

I'd say you were doubly done over here. US, aided by SHARES, has a terrible habit of giving one stop, plane change routings a single flight number.
These itineraries are difficult to upgrade on either leg (not relevant in your specific case), you get half the segment credit one would expect, and then you're more open to the wanton stupidity displayed by the TA above. Although US has no lock on "horrible and uncaring" employees, US is in a class all its own in empowering such behavior with dimwitted corporate policies.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
Same Day Move Up

Quick question on same day move up. Can I only do it at the airport, or can I call the CP line and have them move me up to an earlier flight?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Here is all the information you need about the move up program.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...ds/MoveUp.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TINPA
I was worried about a flight 6.5 hours early today, but upon checking in it auto offered the earlier flight. I hope that will continue on even earlier flights; after all if there are enough seats still open then it benefits US to have potential to fill the later flights. And I like the double-move-up workaround if needed, thanks for that suggestion!
I wonder if this is still working? Mrs. dwcatty wants to move up 6 hr 25 minutes later this week. There is an intervening flight, so she can try for the double move up, but wouldn't it be easier if...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Mrs. dwcatty moved by 6.45 hours this morning. She asked the agent at check in who said no problem but to check in through the kiosk. The kiosk offered her a flight 2 hours earlier, not the 6.45 one she wanted. She checked in, then the agent moved her up to the one she wanted. Perk - at the gate she also got an upgrade to first.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I have a flight tomorrow at 9:15PM. The earlier flight I want to take is either at 6:05AM or 8AM

I have no status on US, but am 1K on United which makes me *A Gold. Based on the information above I think I am out of luck? Just checking before I book a new ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:17 am

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program (and not for the better) [master thread]

Outta luck, unless IROPS or clueless/very sympathetic gate agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.