FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   CLT to TPA help needed! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1364966-clt-tpa-help-needed.html)

stewaran Jul 10, 2012 4:25 am

CLT to TPA help needed!

Hi

wonder if you can help, need to fly CLT to TPA in 2 weeks time and the price one-way is $400+ in coach!:(, (same as a return, but i dont need to get back!)

Is there anywhere or any way to book US air flights cheaper than on there website?

Any help much appriciated

IADCAflyer Jul 10, 2012 4:37 am

Fly out of GSO instead and connect through CLT. $165 one way.

stewaran Jul 10, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks for the great suggestion, it drops to $140!
sadly I just dont have the time to drive up to GSO.

I assume booking this and just arriving for the second leg wouldn't work?

IADCAflyer Jul 10, 2012 4:52 am

No. They will cancel the entire itinerary..

You can take Amtrak from Charlotte to Greensboro. 1.5 hour train. $18.00

IADCAflyer Jul 10, 2012 4:57 am

Or take AirTran and forsake US loyalty... $136 one way.

Jones3 Jul 10, 2012 4:59 am

You can check united.com to see if United is offering any US Airways flights as codeshares at a lower fare. It doesn't look like their one-way CLT-TPA fares are any lower than the US ones at the moment, but sometimes there can be significant differences in the US and UA prices for a seat on the very same flight.

stewaran Jul 10, 2012 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Jones3 (Post 18901595)
You can check united.com to see if United is offering any US Airways flights as codeshares at a lower fare. It doesn't look like their one-way CLT-TPA fares are any lower than the US ones at the moment, but sometimes there can be significant differences in the US and UA prices for a seat on the very same flight.

Thanks I have tried on United, as i have seen this also in the past.
but in this case exactly the same

stewaran Jul 10, 2012 5:05 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 18901581)
No. They will cancel the entire itinerary..

You can take Amtrak from Charlotte to Greensboro. 1.5 hour train. $18.00

I do like the Amtrak, and i am arriving on the Amtrak from Raleigh the night before!

Sadly this time I want the speed of the direct flight.

Thanks for all your help, looks like ill have to just live with it! although in some ways finding it for $140 from GSO has made this even worse:D

redtop43 Jul 10, 2012 8:30 am

You've hit on exactly what the airlines do, charging (extorting?) you for the convenience.

dc333 Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 18902536)
You've hit on exactly what the airlines do, charging (extorting?) you for the convenience.

Agreed, though I think we should tweak that again, just as this played out. It's charging what the market will actually bear.

joeyE Jul 10, 2012 9:16 am

Flying Airtran will help to keep fares low in the market.

You could try Sarasota which is an hour away. Fares will probably similar though.

stewaran Jul 10, 2012 10:26 am

CLT to TPA help needed!

Usually I would have taken a flight with a stop in it, for this price difference. but this time my schedule just does not allow it. :-(