Wiki Posts
Search

3 pleasant surprises out of Boston tonight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
3 pleasant surprises out of Boston tonight

Apparently the east coast is essentially shut down this evening, so BOS is a disaster. I was on the 3:30 BOS-PHL, flying on an award as a CP. we get out and our informed of ground stop. FA come though with water and OJ, and then FA comes to me and says Mr. Xxxxx - you're a CP correct? I acknowledged and he said, let me know if I can get you anything. I fly a fair bit of coach as a CP, given my penchant for booking fights inside the silver upgrade window, and that has never happened to me before.

Then our flight is cancelled, we come back to the gate, and madness ensues. I call the CP reservations line, they picked up in 1 minute, acknowledged me, had already booked me to the next fight. They picked up my cell number, so I didn't
Need to give any info (I hate giving out any info in a public place with others around). I am sure this is usual, but never experiencing it before, I was quite pleased.

Then she tells me she's booked me into first class (again, I am flying a coach award ticket originally). All pleasant experiences. Unfortunately, BOS remains a disaster and I will probably be cancelled again, but given the weather, has been a very pleasant experience for me
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:12 pm

Funny you should post this, I was just coming in here to praise the Boston station for how they handled today. I was scheduled on the 3 PM shuttle to DCA on a UA codeshare ticket. Got to the airport about 1:35, and checked my bag, not knowing there were weather delays brewing. Unprompted, on getting my DCA bag tag from the printer, the counter agent asks me if I want to re-book onto the 2 PM, fee waived, because they are expecting delays later in the day. I of course accept, flight leaves on time, and I get to DCA without any fuss.

I'm home in Virginia now. Checked flight tracker a few minutes ago, and the 3 PM she got me off of is still on the tarmac at Logan, having pushed on time but than having been hit with a ground hold. I've NEVER had UA (my normal airline) proactively offer to rebook me in that way to avoid what was then a potential delay later in the day. I am hugely impressed by the foresight and willingness to avoid a problem before it came up. This plus several other positive recent experiences on US has me planning to default to US flights whenever possible instead of UA, future status be darned.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by hoopics
Funny you should post this, I was just coming in here to praise the Boston station for how they handled today. I was scheduled on the 3 PM shuttle to DCA on a UA codeshare ticket. Got to the airport about 1:35, and checked my bag, not knowing there were weather delays brewing. Unprompted, on getting my DCA bag tag from the printer, the counter agent asks me if I want to re-book onto the 2 PM, fee waived, because they are expecting delays later in the day. I of course accept, flight leaves on time, and I get to DCA without any fuss.

I'm home in Virginia now. Checked flight tracker a few minutes ago, and the 3 PM she got me off of is still on the tarmac at Logan, having pushed on time but than having been hit with a ground hold. I've NEVER had UA (my normal airline) proactively offer to rebook me in that way to avoid what was then a potential delay later in the day. I am hugely impressed by the foresight and willingness to avoid a problem before it came up. This plus several other positive recent experiences on US has me planning to default to US flights whenever possible instead of UA, future status be darned.
Welcome to the US fan club! I'd suggest getting a trial preferred status, but that would mean less upgrades for me
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I've always had very good service as well from the staff in BOS. I'm usually traveling to PHL from there, and they always ask if I want to move up, and check for upgrades proactively whether or not there are weather delays. I'm always very impressed with their service.

Back in the day of the $1200 PHL-BOS-PHL days of a few years ago, I would book through LGA to get somewhat of a decent fare. They would always ask me if I wanted to go direct if they had space on the next flight - which saved me (well, my clients) a lot of money, and time. They certainly didn't have to do that.

I've flown out of there twice in the past ten days, great service all around on the ground. Now, the flight crew on both of those flights were another story. Probably the worst I have had in years.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I wasn't in BOS yesterday, but I was flying US LEX-CLT-MCO. The staff at LEX and CLT were fantastic there as well despite a difficult day. LEX was a long delayed and eventually cancelled flight and CLT was just a mess with all the air traffic and weather craziness yesterday. Everyone I encountered from the staff in LEX to the inflight crews to CLT and MCO staff were all very pleasant and helpful. I know my Platinum status helped me to get home, but dealing with such nice people on a day that I knew was challenging for them was great.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:47 pm

I've been a semi-regular US flyer out of BOS the last few years and agree with the positive comments.

The other nice thing I'll say about US at BOS is how they've kept up the Terminal B facility over the years. As I was walking through this morning, I was appreciating how nice a terminal it is. In the past 1-2 years, they've replaced the flooring and they recently added electronic gate display boards (unfortunately not fancy flat-screens that display stuff like the upgrade list, but a small improvement over the old-school manual signs). I'm not sure how much of this is US's doing vs. Massport (and how much is due to US or keeping the facility up-to-date for a new tenant like UA depending on how consolidating shakes out), but it's good for the US flyer.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Now if we could get alcohol in the club
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by etsmyers
^
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Looks like BOS is heading downhill again this afternoon. A bunch of cancellations and delays. Thankfully I found out my flight was canceled before I left for the airport and was able to move to a later flight. Crossing my fingers that that flight goes well and that the BOS employees live up to the standards in this thread.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
BOS Surprises

I am a 4x weekly flyer on US out of Logan. I never understood why they fly so many regional flights out of BOS given that it is a non-core city. I fear the day they pull out of those markets leaving BOS, CLT, DCA and LGA as the only destinations...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
+1
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:39 pm

Beer and Wine are now being served as of June 21!! ^^^
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PattonOSU
Beer and Wine are now being served as of June 21!! ^^^
That is the most exciting thing I've heard in a long time.

Gone are the days of spending $25 for 2 glasses of wine at the Fox Sports Sky Box.

Edit to welcome PattonOSU to Flyertalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.