Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty First class seats, but I'm still in the back.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: US AIRWAYS, HHONORS
I just returned IND to PHL last week. I think there were only two or three elites with auto ups because I heard two folks asking how much it would cost to upgrade at the gate (all couples) and they were all upped when we boarded (side note: what a waste of $ for that flight)....

There were two first class seats empty when we took off and two pilots sitting in coach...neither moved by the FA or moved on their own. I was surprised.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Techtravler
I did wonder one thing, there was a high ranking government official in first congressman or senator of some sort. Secrete service waited with him until the flight boarded and he was met by local Police when the flight landed. I wondered if he had anything to do with the empty seats. I am thinking not, or all of First would have been empty or in his party and I know for sure that was not the case.
Wouldn't matter. Last Feb. my GF and I were on the DCA-LGA Friday night shuttle for a weekend in NY. She was upgraded with me once we got to the DCA lounge. When we got on the plane F was empty I said something out loud about stupid US IT system not upgrading my GF on my PNR. Then two secret service agents walk on the plane, followed by Hillary Clinton, followed by her body man, followed by 3 more agents. Moral of the story is that F flew full with just myself, my GF, the Secretary of State, and a bunch of secret service. So if the SoS can't force US to fly with empty F seats, a Congressman probably can't pull it off either...

On a more personal level, I ordered the Glenlivet 12 they had just started carrying, SoS ordered a water no ice...lame

Go Gators
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:41 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by hoopics
Today BOS-DCA, with what seemed like a full economy cabin, one seat was open in F when the door closed. the FA came back and took a non-rev passenger (a pilot in uniform) out of an aisle seat and reseated him in F. Another non-rev (a FA in uniform) then jumped out of her middle seat a row behind the seat the pilot vacated, and jumped into his opened aisle seat before the passenger in the middle seat in that row had a chance to move over. Only an hour long flight, so whatever, but interesting to watch it unfold.
Perhaps the f/a's felt the GA was doing his/her job and upgraded all on the list and was only being kind to coworkers. It isn't the f/a's job to run behind the agents to see if they have done their job.

I WOULD recommend letting the f/a's know you were on the list to upgrade before the door even closes.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What i usually do when I don't get upgraded ahead of check-in (I've had a pretty good record with US) - is I stop in at the club and ask how my upgrade chances are looking. I usually get pretty good color - such as, the flight is full but there is one connection that looks a bit tight. Then I go reconfirm these details with the gate agent and check if that is still the case.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by hoopics
Today BOS-DCA, with what seemed like a full economy cabin, one seat was open in F when the door closed. the FA came back and took a non-rev passenger (a pilot in uniform) out of an aisle seat and reseated him in F. Another non-rev (a FA in uniform) then jumped out of her middle seat a row behind the seat the pilot vacated, and jumped into his opened aisle seat before the passenger in the middle seat in that row had a chance to move over. Only an hour long flight, so whatever, but interesting to watch it unfold.
How do you know the pilot was a non-rev? If he/she was in uniform, chances are pretty high they were flying positive space.

The FA could have also been positive space. Did you ask either of them?

I'd much rather the crew on my flights be somewhat fresh when flying. If sitting in F or having an aisle seat helps, then all the better.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:14 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by aztimm
How do you know the pilot was a non-rev? If he/she was in uniform, chances are pretty high they were flying positive space.

The FA could have also been positive space. Did you ask either of them?

I'd much rather the crew on my flights be somewhat fresh when flying. If sitting in F or having an aisle seat helps, then all the better.
Not to mention the fact that employees are also on the standby/upgrade list.... I guess people forget we are just as entitled to the upgrade as elites (within the boarding priorities).
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator
Wouldn't matter. Last Feb. my GF and I were on the DCA-LGA Friday night shuttle for a weekend in NY. She was upgraded with me once we got to the DCA lounge. When we got on the plane F was empty I said something out loud about stupid US IT system not upgrading my GF on my PNR. Then two secret service agents walk on the plane, followed by Hillary Clinton, followed by her body man, followed by 3 more agents. Moral of the story is that F flew full with just myself, my GF, the Secretary of State, and a bunch of secret service. So if the SoS can't force US to fly with empty F seats, a Congressman probably can't pull it off either...

On a more personal level, I ordered the Glenlivet 12 they had just started carrying, SoS ordered a water no ice...lame

Go Gators

This happened to me in 2010 =). I was the only F pax on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.