Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit Star Alliance Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Original Routing Credit Star Alliance Flight

Ok I'll try to make this as easy as possible to understand.

1. I was originally booked to AMA - IAH - DFW today via United. There was a mechanical problem that was going to cause me to miss my connection in Houston.

2. The Gate agent rebooked me on American Airlines from AMA to DFW. I will get in about an hour later than the original connection should have from IAH.

My US Airways # is in my United reservation.

My question is how will I receive credit for this flight? Will United give me original routing credit or just the miles from AMA to DFW? What will I need to give you United to prove the change and the original routing? Will there be a problem with than crediting everything to US Air?

Thank you for the help.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:02 pm

IME, you get what you fly. I have been scheduled BOS-PHL-PHX on several occasions where I was "bumped" to BOS-PHX and missed out on the 500 min miles for the BOS-PHL segment.

BTW - you aren't going to get any miles on US when flying AA, even if you were bumped from United.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
You'll have to call US after the flights and request Original Routing Credit. You should get the miles for the UA flights. Also, make sure your AAdvantage number is on the AA res. You can call AA if you need to. That way you can double dip.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by gwar69
You'll have to call US after the flights and request Original Routing Credit. You should get the miles for the UA flights. Also, make sure your AAdvantage number is on the AA res. You can call AA if you need to. That way you can double dip.
Original routing credit only applies if the person is originally booked on US Airways flights and then get reaccomodated on another carrier or another routing. In this case, original routing credit would not apply since travel was not originally on US.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:27 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I think it might be best to ask United for the original routing mileage credited to US, I think that's your best bet. Send them an email explaining you need the mileage credited to US, that's why you booked UA in the first place (presumably).

I've never had an issue receiving original routing credit from any airline, and in a case such as this, receiving credit for the airline actually flown as well.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
I think it might be best to ask United for the original routing mileage credited to US, I think that's your best bet. Send them an email explaining you need the mileage credited to US, that's why you booked UA in the first place (presumably).

I've never had an issue receiving original routing credit from any airline, and in a case such as this, receiving credit for the airline actually flown as well.
I think that's what I will do just seeing if anyone had any other insight. It only seems appropriate. It's not my fault that there was a malfunction and the airline chose to put me on AA rather than arrive at DFW 4 hours after my original arrival time.

I guess I could add my # on the AA flight but I rarely (if ever) fly them and I'd bet you my account is zero miles.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Ok so need some additional help with this. I had called UA and they told me that I had to request the miles through US. I waited about 10 days and sent my request to DMSC yesterday. I got this response today:

We researched your request and found that the airline partner flights you referenced were canceled and/or delayed and you were rescheduled on a non-partner airline which is ineligible for mileage credit.

Program guidelines state that if a partner airline flight cancels and/or is delayed and you're rescheduled on US Airways or a partner airline, you'll receive credit. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner airline or elect not to travel, you are unable to receive credit.

It was my understanding that I would be able to receive credit. Do I need to go back to United for this?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RMPearl
Ok so need some additional help with this. I had called UA and they told me that I had to request the miles through US. I waited about 10 days and sent my request to DMSC yesterday. I got this response today:

We researched your request and found that the airline partner flights you referenced were canceled and/or delayed and you were rescheduled on a non-partner airline which is ineligible for mileage credit.

Program guidelines state that if a partner airline flight cancels and/or is delayed and you're rescheduled on US Airways or a partner airline, you'll receive credit. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner airline or elect not to travel, you are unable to receive credit.

It was my understanding that I would be able to receive credit. Do I need to go back to United for this?
You may be in the black hole of alliances. It seems to me that UA (not US) is responsible in this case.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by RMPearl
... Do I need to go back to United for this?
Sorry I don't know what United's policy is, but the DMSC response you received is in line with US' stated policy in the website DM Membership Guide.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'd guess I see threads like this on this forum about every 4-6 weeks, and I can't recall a single successful attempt at getting credit for this. Perhaps you'll have better luck, but I think post 4 above is correct:

Original routing credit only applies if the person is originally booked on US Airways flights and then get reaccomodated on another carrier or another routing. In this case, original routing credit would not apply since travel was not originally on US.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
It's a rather unpleasant situation!

Make sure that you claim the AA miles at least!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.