New Upgrade procedure and IT? -- email from US

Old May 29, 12, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
New Upgrade procedure and IT? -- email from US

Just received this email at 8:40pm EST:

"Stay on top of your travel with easier upgrades
We keep you updated every step of the way

Over the last year, we've been investing in the products and services you want most. Now, we're excited to introduce new technology enhancements to deliver your Preferred upgrades.

Behind the scenes
To increase your chances to upgrade, our system checks for upgrades frequently throughout the day and keeps you notified right up until 24 hours before your flight.

In your inbox
We'll email your upgrade status to you, clearly showing your seats by flight. If you didn't get an upgrade, we’ll tell you why. Throughout the day, we’ll keep checking and email you if a First Class seat becomes available.

Your favorite seat
Prefer a window? Love the aisle? We'll do our best to match your seat to the preference you set in your profile.

Look for our new Preferred upgrade email in your inbox before your next flight."

Ok, so I'm confused as to what this means in real terms, and is this in response to the concern about TODs and selling upgrades out from under preferreds, etc.?
Old May 29, 12, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012 View Post
Just received this email at 8:40pm EST:

Ok, so I'm confused as to what this means in real terms, and is this in response to the concern about TODs and selling upgrades out from under preferreds, etc.?
I'm guessing the answer is "yes". Given the complete fire storm at UA which has now hit the media, that US is trying to get in front of this sort of issue.
Old May 29, 12, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I just got this as well. The only real change I can see, if it is actually one, would be the possibility of more frequent upgrade sweeps. They don't seem to explicitly say that though, so you all may be correct that this intended mainly for peace of mind.
Old May 29, 12, 9:10 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, SPG Gold
I have been having incredible luck with upgrades throughout the calendar year 2012. My highest upgrade percentages have been on the last-minute tickets where I believe FC seats are being held back and at check-in released to me before the other preferreds in holding patterns. If they really did make a change in their sweep system that will be good for everyone in DM preferred.
Old May 29, 12, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum
I checked with an inside source and here's what this is all about:
- The upgrade tool will now continue to look for upgrades until 24 hours prior to departure (instead of ending at 4PM-MT two days prior)
- Fix: When two preferreds are in the same reservation, the upgrade will occur based on the Highest preferred level of the travelers. Note: Only one non-preferred person can be on the reservation. If more than one non-preferred, no upgrade will occur. Example: 2 golds + 2 no status would not get upgraded. 1 chairman, 1 gold + 1 no status would get upgraded at the chairmans window (assuming 3 First seats were available)
- Codeshare flights will no longer be upgraded (example, booked as a UA flight, but flying in US metal).
Old May 29, 12, 9:29 pm

Programs: free agent
If you didn't get an upgrade, we’ll tell you why

That seems to be new too. Interested to see what the "why" is all about.
Old May 29, 12, 10:26 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by AlphaTango View Post
If you didn't get an upgrade, we’ll tell you why

That seems to be new too. Interested to see what the "why" is all about.
I'm flying again early next week, so I guess I'll find out what the "why" is soon enough...

"An upgrade was not available because we are holding seats back for Tens of Dollars upgrades"

Seriously, I really hope not....
Old May 29, 12, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh View Post
I'm flying again early next week, so I guess I'll find out what the "why" is soon enough...

"An upgrade was not available because we are holding seats back for Tens of Dollars upgrades"

Seriously, I really hope not....
Or from the united CFO, "an upgrade was not available because you have been over-entitled and we are knocking you down a peg"
Old May 30, 12, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Mykle View Post
- The upgrade tool will now continue to look for upgrades until 24 hours prior to departure (instead of ending at 4PM-MT two days prior)
- Fix: When two preferreds are in the same reservation, the upgrade will occur based on the Highest preferred level of the travelers. Note: Only one non-preferred person can be on the reservation. If more than one non-preferred, no upgrade will occur. Example: 2 golds + 2 no status would not get upgraded. 1 chairman, 1 gold + 1 no status would get upgraded at the chairmans window (assuming 3 First seats were available)
I view the above two as good changes.

- Codeshare flights will no longer be upgraded (example, booked as a UA flight, but flying in US metal).
Though this is unlikely to affect me, this is an important bit of news as I know some on here are accustomed to at least the US-operated UA codeshares being upgraded if they're US preferred. I guess the new behavior is what was intended all along?
Old May 30, 12, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Thanks much for the info, especially the part about highest preferred level... I was literally just about to divide up PNRs for fear of getting nothing in F on upcoming trip with Silvers
Old May 30, 12, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!! Say it ain't so! I know this would bring practice in line with policy, but it's just been so nice for US IT to overlook this issue for the past few years!
Old May 30, 12, 7:47 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've been 60/40 on the upgrades...always upgraded out of my crop duster airport BTV, but not so good on my connections..only once was I upgraded all the way to MCO - I was wondering about that email too. I'm travelling next week, so we'll see what this is all about.
Old May 30, 12, 8:39 am

Important not to overlook the "place on stand by list" when doing online check in.
Old May 30, 12, 9:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question E-mail distribution

I am wondering about the distribution of this e-mail as one did not reach me and I opt in to getting this type of thing. Anyone have a similar experience or insight on how these were sent out?
Old May 30, 12, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
The other change I haven't heard mention yet is that they will now try to place you in the seat of your preference which before was just random placement. So now they will try to put me in an aisle instead of placing me in the very next open seat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: