Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Upgrade procedure and IT? -- email from US

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, SW A-list, AirTran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I have yet to see this, can somebody post a picture?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Well, for a similar route I was more successful. Nothing at T-7 (CP time), then upgrades at T-4 (Platinum time). The success story at T-4 was conveyed in an "old school" e-mail. Would I have received the new, classy if we had failed again ... ? That's a datum I'm glad I don't have. But leaving aside why you are not (yet, I hope) getting an upgrade, I'm not sure that there is evidence for an IT glitch. The may just be a new school "feature," and an e-mail generated at Platinum time -- for good or for ill -- seems close enough to SOP.

The point about the low award availability .... In other threads I have fumed with the best of us about the possibility that US is trying too hard to sell ToD F seats out from under us "deserving" Preferreds (folks, it's in quotations -- relax). But I'm thinking more and more that they just don't have the timing kinks out of their yield management for these seats. In my case, because I was traveling with others, and because there were low Fs available, and a number of empty F seats in the seat map (folks, I know it is not definitive -- relax), I kept trying at T-15, T-14, T-13, T-x (yes, it's boring to read, and it was boring to call, too) to upgrade all using miles. But no dice. Or, rather, once T-7 arrived, I decided to roll the dice and stop calling and hang on for potential upgrades. In this case, the dice came up right, but this is hardly the behavior of a system that wants to extract maximum yield from the F inventory.

Hang on. You still may score.
At some point between midnight and 10 a.m. (PST), I was upgraded, although I haven't received an e-mail. So, maybe it did process last night a little bit after I checked and the e-mail system jumped the gun? Or perhaps there was another run this morning? Who knows...

OM
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
I got the new style email yesterday - like the thumbs down logo but got upgraded on the next sweep.
Did you get a thumbs up when your upgrade cleared?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I have yet to receive an upgrade email from US ever! I get every other email from US, but for some reason they can't send me upgrade emails.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:29 am

Did you get a thumbs up when your upgrade cleared?
Yep, same email with the Thumbs up.

Got some more "reasons" today. Here is what I've seen so far. They don't look much different than previously.

"Upgrades not available yet"
"First Class confirmed"
"Complimentary upgrades not offered"
"Too early for upgrade"
"Complimentary upgrade confirmed"

I wonder what the difference is between "First Class confirmed" and "Complimentary upgrade confirmed" is. They were both on domestic preferred upgrades.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by cedarjustin
I wonder what the difference is between "First Class confirmed" and "Complimentary upgrade confirmed" is. They were both on domestic preferred upgrades.
Sounds like "Complimentary upgrade confirmed" is for good old fashioned preferred upgrades. I wonder if "First Class Confirmed" is actually intended for somebody who was either already in F (i.e. bought a Paid or Award F ticket) or upgraded via other means (miles, CP certs to Hawaii, etc...).
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:29 am

Sounds like "Complimentary upgrade confirmed" is for good old fashioned preferred upgrades. I wonder if "First Class Confirmed" is actually intended for somebody who was either already in F (i.e. bought a Paid or Award F ticket) or upgraded via other means (miles, CP certs to Hawaii, etc...).
They were both old fashioned preferred upgrades. No difference in booking.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Since this supposed improvement I haven't gotten any emails about upgrades.

I have flight on Friday which I got no email for, this flight was purchased in A, but I usually get an email that I am already confirmed for F,

I have a flight on Tuesday (Different PNR) That I don't have an email for and no upgrade has posted.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by ellinj
Since this supposed improvement I haven't gotten any emails about upgrades.

I have flight on Friday which I got no email for, this flight was purchased in A, but I usually get an email that I am already confirmed for F,

I have a flight on Tuesday (Different PNR) That I don't have an email for and no upgrade has posted.
Finally got the email, bit later than in the past.

Didn't get the upgrade but I am not surprised by that based on the track record of upgrades being pushed out lately to 4days rather than 7. It also doesn't help that my tuesday flight is a "direct" flight LAS-DFW via PHX
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:23 am
Suspended

What I like most about this change is that it (finally) gives you your upgraded seat info. So if you don't like the seat, you know to go to the websit and change it.

Anyone else notice that the emails now come later than before -- it used to be around 6 AM Eastern now I am getting them early afternoon like 1:30 PM Eastern.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OverpaidSlacker
actually, this IS a tweak in the policy. it used to be that if there were multiple people on a singe pnr, they would upgrade as a group (with the highest preferred member's status) as long as there were at least as many preferred passengers as non-preferred.

now, in order for the upgrades to be processed automatically, there appears to need to be more preferred passengers than non-preferred passengers on the pnr.

this change sucks for me. i am chairmans & my wife is silver; we travel fairly frequently with other couples, who themselves aren't preferred. we are always able to convince our friends to fly us airways with us because of the chances that the four of us will be upgraded together (and, indeed, we have had a ~50% success rate at getting our groups upgraded on such flights). no more, it seems. which means us airways will likely be losing some business from us.
I am really surprised by this -- all irrelevant now, I guess. But I've worked hard to understand the actual policies here and was told repeatedly that the max upgrade group was 3. And the times I've tried 4 I never even got an email. Indeed, most agents and many customers weren't even aware of the group of 3 possibility. (The US website is incredibly unclear about it). But I've never heard of anyone suggesting that a group of 4 could be upgraded at all. It was my impression that groups of 4 would not be processed for upgrades even if all 4 were CP.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
This process works perfectly for me - been upgraded automatically dozens of times with no issues. One of the best things US does; there is elegance in simplicity.
Completely agree -- and love the new US upgrade email format and online check-in process. Still, I would appreciate additional transparency of where one actually stands on the upgrade list, other carriers provide this info on gate information screens or capabilty to view online/app (UA).

It can however be disheartening as a former GS now 1K to be #32 on the list departing the UA hubs
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Smile Upgrade e-mail t-14 days!

Must have been a glitch, but I received my thumbs up e-mail for all segments at t-14 departure day - woohoo!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I am on my first upgradeable trip since this new policy was announced.

Flying Tuesday. Having not received any email on Friday (the platinum window for upgrade), I called intending on making sure that I was properly on the upgrade list. The automated system notified me that I had been upgraded for both segments.

I still as of today have not received any emails.
Any theories? Could it be because my secretary booked this ticket and not me (I was copied on the email notification of the ticket though)?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by travellerK
I am on my first upgradeable trip since this new policy was announced.

Flying Tuesday. Having not received any email on Friday (the platinum window for upgrade), I called intending on making sure that I was properly on the upgrade list. The automated system notified me that I had been upgraded for both segments.

I still as of today have not received any emails.
Any theories? Could it be because my secretary booked this ticket and not me (I was copied on the email notification of the ticket though)?
Pretty sure (98%) that the upgrade emails are sent to the address associated with the DM#, although I only use 1 email for my FF programs/travel, I can't provide any contradicting anecdotes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.