Wiki Posts
Search

Meals in F, Move Up, etc. DCA-LAS

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 10:04 am
formerly RZachSmith
Original Poster

Meals in F, Move Up, etc. DCA-LAS

I've made a couple posts in different master threads the last couple days regarding these questions but none of them have gotten response, so I'm starting this thread instead (hope that's okay, mods).

My wife and I are flying DCA-LAS on the 9pm direct flight (US48) tomorrow. She's a Plat and we both got upgraded (me as her companion) to F.

My first question...does this 9pm flight have dinner in F? Or is it too late a departure? I've read in other threads that that 8:15pm CLT-LAS has dinner, but haven't been able to find anything about this flight.

Second question...our day isn't very busy and I think we could probably leave earlier and connect to an earlier flight out of PHL or CLT. I know from the move up thread that this fee is waived for her as a Plat and me as her companion, and that it's okay to go from the direct to a connecting flight as long as they can confirm space on all legs. Am I also correct that they will put us both in F is space is available? Can we go in Y DCA-CLT/PHL and F CLT/PHL-LAS?

Third...any way to be confident about F availability on the CLT/PHL-LAS leg? Website shows at least 2 F seats for purchase for several afternoon flights but I know for purchase and for upgrade are not always the same thing. We're inside the silver window already so I assume the only thing left will be upgrades people can purchase at checkin.

This will probably involve us driving to DCA first thing in the AM and trying to do this at the checkin counter, so I'm trying to have all my ducks in a row before making that trip.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I can only help with the firsrt question -- no dinner in First; too late.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Originally Posted by RZachSmith
Second question...our day isn't very busy and I think we could probably leave earlier and connect to an earlier flight out of PHL or CLT. I know from the move up thread that this fee is waived for her as a Plat and me as her companion, and that it's okay to go from the direct to a connecting flight as long as they can confirm space on all legs. Am I also correct that they will put us both in F is space is available? Can we go in Y DCA-CLT/PHL and F CLT/PHL-LAS?
You can go from a direct to a connecting flight, provided that a) the arrival time is earlier than the direct flight b) there's room on the flight.

As for upgrades, you're likely to be put on the upgrade standby list. Personally, I'd stick with my sure bet of a direct upgraded flight.

HTSC
Old May 22, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: free agent
Personally, I wouldn't trade an confirmed F direct flight for a connecting flight. What if something goes wrong (weather, mechanical) and you miss the connection? Your two F seats fly DCA-LAS and you're stuck in CLT or PHL overnight?
My advice: have a nice dinner before you leave, take the 9pm flight, have some drinks - time means nothing when you're in Vegas anyway.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:33 am
formerly RZachSmith
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
As for upgrades, you're likely to be put on the upgrade standby list. Personally, I'd stick with my sure bet of a direct upgraded flight.
Gotcha...are they unable to confirm the space in F at the time of the moveup? Or is it just unlikely?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
There has to be space available in Y first to confirm the move up, then if space is available in F, you'll be upgraded.

If the flights you want are sold out in Y, you won't be able to move up.

Also, as others have mentioned, I certainly wouldn't give up 2 confirmed F seats on a nonstop for a potential disaster and a meal.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
As I recall, the move-up fee is only waived for the elite and not for the companion. This may have changed since the last time I did a move-up with a non-elite companion so you may want to double-check the rules. But I think it's one of those benefits that is not extended to the companion.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
It looks as though that is still the case:

"Move up to an earlier flight for free. We waive the standby fee for our Platinum Preferred customers who want to move up to an earlier flight on the same day of travel."

Makes no mention of companions...
Old May 22, 2012, 12:22 pm
formerly RZachSmith
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcpatti
As I recall, the move-up fee is only waived for the elite and not for the companion. This may have changed since the last time I did a move-up with a non-elite companion so you may want to double-check the rules. But I think it's one of those benefits that is not extended to the companion.
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
It looks as though that is still the case:

"Move up to an earlier flight for free. We waive the standby fee for our Platinum Preferred customers who want to move up to an earlier flight on the same day of travel."

Makes no mention of companions...
Per This Thread, the customer service manual stipulates that the fee is waved for the companion of the elite as well, so I think we're okay there.

I certainly see what you guys are saying about sticking with what we have, and I don't think we'll give up our current seats for anything less than a confirmed F seat on a CLT-LAS flight, but if we can get those then I don't think were taking too much risk. There are plenty of flights to CLT and the risk of an issue coming up on the CLT-LAS leg isn't significantly higher than the DCA-LAS. In fact it may be lower. As much as anything we'd just like to get there a little bit earlier.

DCA isn't very far out of our way. I think we may just swing by first thing and the morning and see if there's any availability.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: free agent
Do come back and let everyone know how this worked out! And good luck in Sin City.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
You can go from a direct to a connecting flight, provided that a) the arrival time is earlier than the direct flight b) there's room on the flight.
A tiny correction - you can't move up from a non-stop to an earlier connection unless they can confirm seats on both of the connecting flights.

Jim
Old May 23, 2012, 6:00 am
formerly RZachSmith
Original Poster

Update for those that were interested: We were successful in our move up, now connecting through CLT. We were unable to secure F for the DCA-CLT leg, but we are still in F for CLT-LAS which is what we really cared about anyway. We've got a connection of nearly 4 hours but that gives us plenty of flexibility and we've got a lounge pass left over from our DM Mastercards. I think things will work out well.

It makes for a slightly longer travel day, but we had the time and getting into LAS over 3 hours earlier will be great. I've also never been in F on a US flight long enough for a meal. Although I don't expect to be particularly wowed, I'm looking forward to the experience.

Worthwhile early morning trip to the airport.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RZachSmith
Update for those that were interested: We were successful in our move up, now connecting through CLT. We were unable to secure F for the DCA-CLT leg, but we are still in F for CLT-LAS which is what we really cared about anyway. We've got a connection of nearly 4 hours but that gives us plenty of flexibility and we've got a lounge pass left over from our DM Mastercards. I think things will work out well.

It makes for a slightly longer travel day, but we had the time and getting into LAS over 3 hours earlier will be great. I've also never been in F on a US flight long enough for a meal. Although I don't expect to be particularly wowed, I'm looking forward to the experience.

Worthwhile early morning trip to the airport.
Eat dinner during your layover. The US dinner in F on the late CLT-LAS, if they're still doing it, is going to be worse than fast food at the food court, just served on fake china.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:10 am
formerly RZachSmith
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Eat dinner during your layover. The US dinner in F on the late CLT-LAS, if they're still doing it, is going to be worse than fast food at the food court, just served on fake china.
Yea I don't expect anything amazing. I think our plan is to use this "dinner" as a snack and follow it up with something better in Vegas.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Frankly, after the meal upgrades about a year ago, I don't think they're bad at all. High end restaurant? Of course not, but much improved over a few years ago. Definitely better than fast food (except perhaps Five Guys' heat attack-inducing greatness in DCA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.