Community
Wiki Posts
Search

extending nonrefundable ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

extending nonrefundable ticket

My BIL has a regular (economy) ticket he had to cancel from last Summer. He's not sure he'll be able to able to use it's value for another trip within a year.

Years ago, on Delta, when I had tickets/vouchers with residual value, I used them to purchase a first class (refundable) ticket. I don't remember if I was able to cash it out for a full refund, but I'm pretty sure I was able to then reuse that ticket to eventually by one I really wanted to use (with no change fee from that ticket).

Does anyone know if either of these (rebuying a new ticket from a FC ticket w/o a change fee, or actually cashing out the FC ticket) is possible with USAir?

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by jwhite4
My BIL has a regular (economy) ticket he had to cancel from last Summer. He's not sure he'll be able to able to use it's value for another trip within a year.

Years ago, on Delta, when I had tickets/vouchers with residual value, I used them to purchase a first class (refundable) ticket. I don't remember if I was able to cash it out for a full refund, but I'm pretty sure I was able to then reuse that ticket to eventually by one I really wanted to use (with no change fee from that ticket).

Does anyone know if either of these (rebuying a new ticket from a FC ticket w/o a change fee, or actually cashing out the FC ticket) is possible with USAir?

Thanks.

Jeff
I believe it actually says that all travel must be completed within one year. The last time I had to rebook a canceled non-refundable ticket, refundable and First Class options weren't offered. Maybe someone else can comment?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
My understanding is that you pay $150 to "reinitiate" the ticket. But the ticket can only be used for the route that you orginially booked. I have alot of thrown away $60 GNV-DCA tickets and I only pay the change fee when the price of a new tickets is over $210, which seems to be all the time now...Correct on using it within one year though.

Go Gators
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by GNVGator
My understanding is that you pay $150 to "reinitiate" the ticket. But the ticket can only be used for the route that you orginially booked. I have alot of thrown away $60 GNV-DCA tickets and I only pay the change fee when the price of a new tickets is over $210, which seems to be all the time now...Correct on using it within one year though.

Go Gators
Not quite.

When you cancel a ticket, you eat the cancellation cost ($150 for domestic & $250 for international flights) and the residual value can be used for a future flight regardless of the routing or who is flying.

I just booked an international flight to Europe, using credit from a canceled flight from BOS to SFO last November. BUT i couldn't do this online, probably because the routing was different. I had to call!!

Once you cancel a ticket, if it has a residual value the flight remains in the front page of your DM number for a year (the time you have to use it). You can call reservations, pick the new flight you want and then give them the confirmation code of the cancelled flight to apply the residual value to the new ticket!

Hope it helps!!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:26 pm

Travel must be completed prior to the issue date of the original ticket.

For instance, a ticket purchased on 6/10/11 for travel 8/15/11-8/20/11 could be applied to any ticket to any destination provided travel on the new ticket is completed prior to 6/10/11. If you are applying a non-refundable ticket to a refundable fare, the portion of the original ticket that is nonrefundable remains nonrefundable.

There is no exception to this rule on US. Ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.