Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If US Airways buys AA, what happens to my miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:08 am
Original Poster

If I've redeemed miles for a future trip, will that ticket still be valid, if it takes place after the merger?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:13 am

The merger wouldnt take place for at least a yr or two. You mileage award who come and go under AA.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:55 am

Based in what's happened in the past your miles will remain intact or will be converted to whatever ff program remain. Anything ticketed will remain valid.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
They'll likely be combined under a new joint FF program called American Airlines Dividend Miles.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You will lose all of them, every last one.

Seriously, what do you think will happen? Do you think US would want to piss off all AA's frequent fliers?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
You'r forgetting to consider IF this will happen. (I'm still a believer that AA emerges as a standalone, but I am excited about the prospect of cheap GNV-MIA fares). Even if it does it will take at least two years for US and AA to work out an agreement. Then it must past DoJ and SEC muster. That will take at least 6 months to a year. At that point US would start giving some guidance as to how they will handle the merger with miles. They would have to since miles are booked as liabilities on their financials. If they try to pull some devaluation you can redeem them befor that takes place.

I'm sure some people on the US board had experience with the UA/CO merger and how they handled merging the miles...

Go Gators

Last edited by GNVGator; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
They'll likely be combined under a new joint FF program called American Airlines Dividend Miles.
I doubt it.
It would be called the American Airlines AAdvantage Program.
You can take that one to the bank.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
I doubt it.
It would be called the American Airlines AAdvantage Program.
You can take that one to the bank.
The man can see in the future! I bet you have won the lottery a bunch too...

Go Gators
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GNVGator
You'r forgetting to consider IF this will happen. (I'm still a believer that AA emerges as a standalone, but I am excited about the prospect of cheap GNV-MIA fares). Even if it does it will take at least two years for US and AA to work out an agreement. Then it must past DoJ and SEC muster. That will take at least 6 months to a year. At that point US would start giving some guidance as to how they will handle the merger with miles. They would have to since miles are booked as liabilities on their financials. If they try to pull some devaluation you can redeem them befor that takes place.

I'm sure some people on the US board had experience with the UA/CO merger and how they handled merging the miles...

Go Gators
Probably be just as messy as the UA/CO merge in terms of major IT "hiccups" in the reservations system...

Ah well, this is all kind of like speculating on what features the next Apple device will have and how much it will cost...we won't really know if/until it happens!

Cheers...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Moderator Note

Looks like this thread flew in from another forum.

There is an extensive existing thread here in the US forum dedicated to the prospective combination of US and AA. Rather than merge this into it, and create a highly disjointed conversation due to the way threads are automatically merged by date and time stamp, I'll lock this thread and refer everyone to the substantial existing one. You can can find it here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...l#post18431019

Thanks,

-AZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.