Envoy Availability PHL - ZRH

Old Feb 19, 12, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Envoy Availability PHL - ZRH

Hey so I am heading to ZRH at the end of the month and I have been calling frequently to try to get an upgrade but to no avail. I've been watching the availability on flightstats and the seats available in envoy last week began at 5, then dropped to 4, then dropped to 1, then moved back up to 3, then this morning moved back up to 5. Although I imagine it's a heavy business route, so i suppose it's possible that people are buying the refundable seats and then moving flights, but I have a hard time believing it is happening with this much frequency. Thus the only logical conclusion then is that it's revenue management trying to entice ticket sales. Though I can't imagine that many people outside of FT use flightstats or expertflyer for the manipulation in seat avialability to have any material effect on purchases. Maybe it does. Has anybody experienced this?

Also I noticed they did this last year when I was flying CLT-MAD so maybe it's standard practice?

It should be noted that coach is next to empty. Also I know the 767 is a terrible enovy product but I'm 6'6 and the thought of flying overnight in coach gives me nightmares

Go Gators
Old Feb 19, 12, 1:19 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by GNVGator View Post
Hey so I am heading to ZRH at the end of the month and I have been calling frequently to try to get an upgrade but to no avail. I've been watching the availability on flightstats and the seats available in envoy last week began at 5, then dropped to 4, then dropped to 1, then moved back up to 3, then this morning moved back up to 5. Although I imagine it's a heavy business route, so i suppose it's possible that people are buying the refundable seats and then moving flights, but I have a hard time believing it is happening with this much frequency. Thus the only logical conclusion then is that it's revenue management trying to entice ticket sales. Though I can't imagine that many people outside of FT use flightstats or expertflyer for the manipulation in seat avialability to have any material effect on purchases. Maybe it does. Has anybody experienced this?

Also I noticed they did this last year when I was flying CLT-MAD so maybe it's standard practice?

It should be noted that coach is next to empty. Also I know the 767 is a terrible enovy product but I'm 6'6 and the thought of flying overnight in coach gives me nightmares

Go Gators
They're probably holding the 5 or so that are left a bit longer for revenue - I'd check again a week out.
Old Feb 19, 12, 2:22 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I can't imagine any airline zero'ing out business class seats to intice ticket sales; quite the contrary, if you're removing seats from inventory, you can't sell them to someone who's trying to buy. I think it's more likely that you're seeing award tickets booked and cancelled, as this time of year you can get some really good deals in Envoy IF you book ahead or check award calendar religiously, and some folks will book before their plans are solid, just because it's such a good deal. Others will book using *A partner awards and drop flights when a more favorable itinerary pops up (either better carrier, nicer plane, better times, better connection city etc) (which is what I am doing with a December 2012 itinerary on UA to NRT-- I will drop it in a second if ANA releases 2 F seats on the same route).
Old Feb 19, 12, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
There is plenty of paid business traffic on this route - it's a heavy financial services route, and apparently there's enough revenue to make it worthwhile for US to fly it year round. When I've gone in the winter, coach has usually been pretty empty, often with coach award seats open through day of departure. I assume there's decent enough cargo and paid business to sustain it. (To that end, for Star Alliance award flights in coach, this flight is often a good way to get to Europe then connect to another Star carrier, as most of the big ones serve ZRH.)

Best guess is that this simply could be people on paid C/J refundable tickets changing their itineraries. I did that at least a half dozen times last year on transatlantic flights, and in so doing I likely either made someone's day by opening an Envoy seat or "ruined" someone else's by buy up capacity on a flight they were hoping to upgrade.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: