Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade w/ an infant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Accor (Diamond), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), Hyatt (Discoverist)
upgrade w/ an infant

So, Mrs. Senatetalker and I just had a baby (3 months old) and will be taking our first flight with jr. in April.

I've seen vague references to this question through a search but nothing definitive.

I'm a gold and my flight route usually has plenty of F seats available (dca-buf). Has anyone had experience with upgrading with an infant? He'll be in my lap (likely screaming). Does the upgrade gnome distinguish of you have a lap child or not?
Many thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: None
I'd wait to add your infant as a lap child until closer to departure time - maybe even at the airport. While it shouldn't make a difference, I'm not sure that the auto upgrade system is smart enough to distinguish between a lap child and a non-elite "companion". If it doesn't do that, it would be looking for 3 available upgrade seats instead of 2 for you and the wife.

Jim
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:55 am

If you have an infant in arms on the reservation prior to the upgrade you will be skipped 9 times out of 10. There are some reports of people getting through, but they are the exception to the rule.

Wait for the upgrade window to clear then call and add Jr. to the reservation. Make sure you add him/her before you get the airport to minimize the risk of something going wrong with the reservation.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: US-G/*G, SPG-G, MR-G, Avis-F
Please PM me when you do this, so that I can make sure that I am not on your flight.

We had a screamer in 3F last week and my tolerance-quota is full.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The above advice is correct. My daughter just passed the 2 year mark and we flew with her regularly out of DCA. We would always wait until the sweeps cleared the upgrades and then call in and add the lap-child to the PNR.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

You can get the auto upgrade email with a lap infant (I've even gotten email upgrade for a party of 3 + lap infant on one PNR) but you can't do OLCI and they will give away any <24 hour/OLCI upgrades before you can get to the airport and manually put yourself on the waiting list.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Accor (Diamond), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), Hyatt (Discoverist)
Thanks all - This is helpful. This will be interesting to say the least
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyNhighAgain
Please PM me when you do this, so that I can make sure that I am not on your flight.

We had a screamer in 3F last week and my tolerance-quota is full.
Ha - I am always frustrated when I have a screaming child on board. I guess I am about to receive my payback for all my pent up animosity
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by geo1005
The above advice is correct. My daughter just passed the 2 year mark and we flew with her regularly out of DCA. We would always wait until the sweeps cleared the upgrades and then call in and add the lap-child to the PNR.
This is what they told me to do when I was having problems the past two years... It worked flawlessly after the fact. I called 1-2 days before if my upgrade had not cleared and sometimes they'd do it then as well. The trick is to add after the sweeps and your upgrade clears....
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I think the best tactic is to just add the infant at the airport. There is absolutely no advantage to adding ahead of time on US, you have to go to the ticket counter either way. On B6 they let you print the infant's BP online and skip the counter, can't speak for other airlines.

Flew at 15 months and 19 months with my daughter, no issues with noise. The issue at that age is wanting to get up and go meet everyone on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.