Wiki Posts
Search

US and the A321NEO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Superguy
Do those still require a second officer?
No, only 1.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Delta has ex-NWA DC-9's that are pushing 40. Keep it in perspective
Yes, it was almost more than 40 years old. I think it's time to retired.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
What is interesting with those DC9's they hold less pax then the CRJ900s...

Do those still require a second officer?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

man you aren't getting the joke...

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, only 1.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

WHy retire them, they aren't the same airplace that came out of long beach 40 yrs ago, they have been refitted with new engine, air frames, interiors, avionics have been upgraded and updated, they are prefectly good airplane.

Yes, it was almost more than 40 years old. I think it's time to retired.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
man you aren't getting the joke...
No, I am not joking. Just a speculating about the pilots who flying on.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Scott, superguy MADE the joke, not you. Like I said,you didn't get the joke...

No, I am not joking. Just a speculating about the pilots who flying on.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:17 am

No, only 1.
The DC-9 may have been the first major jet plane to require on two officers. This was followed by the 737. I believe the 727 required three.

The benefit of keeping the 767-200 around, is that they are better than getting stuck on a 757 of the same age.

Even though the old planes are not the same plane as when built, ..........

I have known some pilots who claimed that they had more in-flight equipment failures on the old 737-300s vs the newer 737-700s. Even though there are redundant systems, some pilots feel more comfortable when a system does not fail on an over-water flight.

Like I was flyign an old Pan Am 727, and upon landing in Miami the upper portion of the spoiler was seperating from the lower portion, but it did not break off. I told the captain on landing about what had happened, and he just laughed.

Last edited by BF263533; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:36 am
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by BF263533
The DC-9 may have been the first major jet plane to require on two officers. This was followed by the 737. I believe the 727 required three.
All correct. The DC9-10 was the first to not require a flight engineer (who was likely not a pilot at that time). ALPA, which represented all or very nearly all unionized pilots back then, agreed to it after Douglas promised that it wouldn't build a bigger version, and we know what happened with that promise. So ALPA drew the line in the sand with the 737 - it had to have a third pilot or engineer even though it was designed around a two-pilot crew.

Ironically, PI was the first carrier in negotiations and getting the 737 and due to ALPA's stance the PI pilots ended up going on strike over the "third man". ALPA called for a nationwide suspension of service, which was prevented when the POTUS suggested that an expert panel look at the safety of 2 pilot vs 3 pilot operations (with the DC9 and turboprops the only 2 pilots ops at the time). The panel found that there was no statistically significant difference in safety, so the two-pilot concept was here to stay - only wide-bodies were designed for a three person cockpit crew thereafter and eventually even those were designed around 2 pilot crews.

Jim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
All correct. The DC9-10 was the first to not require a flight engineer (who was likely not a pilot at that time). ALPA, which represented all or very nearly all unionized pilots back then, agreed to it after Douglas promised that it wouldn't build a bigger version, and we know what happened with that promise. So ALPA drew the line in the sand with the 737 - it had to have a third pilot or engineer even though it was designed around a two-pilot crew.

Ironically, PI was the first carrier in negotiations and getting the 737 and due to ALPA's stance the PI pilots ended up going on strike over the "third man". ALPA called for a nationwide suspension of service, which was prevented when the POTUS suggested that an expert panel look at the safety of 2 pilot vs 3 pilot operations (with the DC9 and turboprops the only 2 pilots ops at the time). The panel found that there was no statistically significant difference in safety, so the two-pilot concept was here to stay - only wide-bodies were designed for a three person cockpit crew thereafter and eventually even those were designed around 2 pilot crews.

Jim
Off topic I know a bit, but you don't think we'll ever see three pilot crews anymore. What airlines still have them? Only the 747s I think, right?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Off topic I know a bit, but you don't think we'll ever see three pilot crews anymore. What airlines still have them? Only the 747s I think, right?
I believe the 747-400 is a two pilot plane. The 3rd, or in some cases 4th, pilot is there to relieve the other pilots during long-haul flights.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Michael El
I believe the 747-400 is a two pilot plane. The 3rd, or in some cases 4th, pilot is there to relieve the other pilots during long-haul flights.
Correct, there are no 3-person flight crews on new airplanes except for when the flights are long enough to need 1 or more relief pilots, which is a rest requirement and not an airplane requirement.

Jim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What is interesting with those DC9's they hold less pax then the CRJ900s...
I'd rather be on a DC9 than any CRJ. At least those feel like real planes ...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:29 am

And the early DC8 and 707 typically seated less than an A320. Times have changed.

Jim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I don't mind the CRJ700/900 with the upgraded cabins.

I'd rather be on a DC9 than any CRJ. At least those feel like real planes ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.