US Airways Tickets in March to Las Vegas

Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

US Airways Tickets in March to Las Vegas

I have been quoted a fare of $500.00 round trip from Philadelphia to Las Vegas, the weekend of March 15th to the 18th. The alternative is US Air wanted 50 to 60 thousand points. Any suggestions to how I can get a good fare. I cannot believe they want so many points for a domestic flight.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: None
Does it have to be PHL and if not how far do you want to go to catch your flight? Without looking, I suspect BWI and AVP may be less expensive.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Try nearby airports or be more flexible on your dates.

In general, the 25K tickets correspond to low season dates. When people complain that they cannot get the discounted tickets exactly when they want to fly, it seems that they just don't know how the game is played..
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:44 pm

Unless a convention is in town, LAS is more a leisure destination so prices tend to be reversed - higher on the weekend than during the week.

Jim
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Southwest A, Marriott LT Plat, US CP
That is the first weekend of the ncaa march madness tourney. It is a top 10 busiest weekend in Vegas.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Try nearby airports
You mean like PHX or ONT??
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:48 pm

Actually I think he was referring to places like AVP. I checked it and the fares were actually higher, but I didn't realize that that was the NCAA weekend.

Jim
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Actually I think he was referring to places like AVP. I checked it and the fares were actually higher, but I didn't realize that that was the NCAA weekend.

Jim
+1

Tried almost everything, it doesn't get any better!! Problem seems to be LAS!! Didn't have a clue about NCAA!!

Planning a trip myself to Vegas in March and i am looking for award flights for my friends. Guess have to move it to the 1st weekend!! Fortunately, it is also Spring Break!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:01 am

You could try the continental.com award flight search and book a Star Alliance award for 25k round
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by mplebram
I have been quoted a fare of $500.00 round trip from Philadelphia to Las Vegas, the weekend of March 15th to the 18th. The alternative is US Air wanted 50 to 60 thousand points. Any suggestions to how I can get a good fare. I cannot believe they want so many points for a domestic flight.
Try ABE to LAS. Recently, there are cheaper flights from ABE than PHL as long as you do not mind connecting. I would also go on bing.com travel and use their price forecaster to see what they predict fares to do for your dates. Their predictions tend to be fairly accurate.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
USAir Vacations sometimes offers great hotel+flight combo deals.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stefg1007
USAir Vacations sometimes offers great hotel+flight combo deals.
I used to use USV frequently but for the past couple of years, I find that I do better buying the pieces separately.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I'm doing PHL-LAS 3/21-3/25. It was looking like (for the lfights that work for me) $500+ r/t in Y...but only $830 for F when I booked. I pulled the trigger for F.

March is always bad for Vegas. Both Spring Break and NCAA tourney wreak unleash hoards of people on the city.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
I agree that usually one can get better deals on their own. Every once in a while im surprised; Last year i was able to get PHL-LAS and 3 nights at Paris for less then the cost of the PHL-LAS flight on its own.

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I used to use USV frequently but for the past couple of years, I find that I do better buying the pieces separately.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stefg1007
I agree that usually one can get better deals on their own. Every once in a while im surprised; Last year i was able to get PHL-LAS and 3 nights at Paris for less then the cost of the PHL-LAS flight on its own.
Thanks - good to know and Paris is one of my favourite hotels. I seem to remember that there is something weird about the ticketing though. Do they not actually ticket the flight until nearer the flight date or something? I seem to remember that I thought I might have trouble getting an upgrade on the USV-purchased flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.