Silvers lose 2nd bag

Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Thumbs down Silvers lose 2nd bag

Just as someone claimed - US pulled the 2nd bag for Silvers following DL and UA.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../benefits.html
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Thumbs down

I thought US Airways silvers were still allowed two free checked bags while flying US, and only Star silvers were restricted to one bag! This really, really sucks! As usual, US neglects to inform us of this 'exciting change'. I looked at United's website, and they're still showing two free bags for their silver members!

Last edited by mrwise; Dec 15, 2011 at 8:16 am Reason: Added to post
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwise
I thought US Airways silvers were still allowed two free checked bags while flying US, and only Star silvers were restricted to one bag! This really, really sucks! As usual, US neglects to inform us of this 'exciting change'. I looked at United's website, and they're still showing two free bags for their silver members!
They did - yesterday.

The way it shows on their website though, I'm wondering if the 3rd bag for gold is next.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:07 am

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...m-changes.html

Summary:
New mileage upgrade chart (with copays)
Quick Ticketing fee of $75 is now applicable within 21 days (was 14) of travel
Silvers get 1 checked bag free.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by US Web Site
Baggage policy
Dividend Miles Silver Preferred members are allowed one complimentary checked bag for tickets booked on or after December 15, 2011 for travel on or after February 15, 2012.
Does this mean we still have the 2 checked free if we booked prior to the 15th (I have two itineraries through February already bought)?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood
Does this mean we still have the 2 checked free if we booked prior to the 15th (I have two itineraries through February already bought)?
Yes...the one free bag only applies to itineraries purchased from today onwards.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Wow, the more they take away, the less valuable it is to be SP! I wonder what's coming next in terms of what they take away from SP.... some airports no longer allow SP access to priority security now.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Not happy about this on many levels. They are just trying to squeeze the last few dollars out of our pockets. A not so nice letter to the sandcastle is in the works, I may use a scroge analogy.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll give US credit. I wrote and complained late this morning and I got a response from CS at least. ^

I never got that quick of a turnaround even as a 1K.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
Wow, the more they take away, the less valuable it is to be SP! I wonder what's coming next in terms of what they take away from SP.... some airports no longer allow SP access to priority security now.
The good old days for FF's are over. Go over to the UA forum and see what they did to silvers. Also look at the WN forum and see the comments on RR 2.0.

The airline have never really like FF programs. Lots of accrued liability. So, the are chipping away at the benefits. Get used to it, it will continue.

My view is that the future hold three things:

- Status and benefits more tied to revenue rather than miles flown
- More FF like benefit for sale or through a credit card; i.e. early boarding, free checked bags, priority security
- More benfits for sale to perfereds; first availablity and at a reduced price
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:48 pm

Guess next year it'll be time to act like a kettle and stuff/gate check a rollaboard. Thank you for your loyalty - BOHICA.

Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
I'm very disappointed in this change. True, I usually take shorter trips and rarely need to check a bag. However, I've got a 15 night cruise coming up later next year and I foolishly passed on booking the flights earlier this week thinking the fare may drop.

Since confirmed first class passengers get the two bags free, how many upgraded segments does it take to qualify? If I book a RT ticket PVD-PHL-LAX-PHL-PVD, will a PHL-PVD upgrade at the end qualify me for 2 free checked bags leaving LAX?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:42 am

I was actually more suprised about the quick ticketing window being pushed out to 21 days. Losing the 2nd checked bag seems to be happening throughout the industry, so it was just a question of when.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Just something else to help the Race to the Bottom.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:06 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Losing a 2nd check bag sucks, especially during times when I really need it (I typically check only 1 bag). I am hoping US won't pull exit row from SP.

LAX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.