Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question Regarding MAD Arrival on US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Question Regarding MAD Arrival on US

I'm meeting my parents in MAD in February. They are flying US (CP certs cleared at booking -- yay!), and I am flying CO. The CO flight arrives 2 hours after the US flight, and we are booking a car service to take us all to the hotel.

I have never been to MAD, and am unfamiliar with the airport. I did a search, and from what I found, it appears as if that there is no arrivals lounge at MAD for US Envoy customers. It also appears as if both US and CO arrive in Terminal 1. Can anyone recommend the best place for them to wait for me?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:10 pm

Terminal 1 is not so great as it is the non-Iberia terminal where all of the rest of the carriers conduct their business. That being said, there is a lobby right outside of baggage claim where you could meet. Once you exit baggage claim, you cannot re-enter, nor can you see baggage claim from the lobby as it is behind closed doors. As an FYI, they do have a departure lounge where you could meet on the return flight.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I just got back from MAD a few weeks ago and don't recall any landmark or meeting area per se. I'm not a regular visitor to MAD so hopefully others will offer an answer to your specific question.

That said, arrivals at MAD on a Friday morning were quick, simple and easy. Are you staying in central Madrid? We stayed at the Westin Palace and took the frequent and very cheap (runs every 15 min. at 2 euro per person) airport bus service which drops off at two locations downtown (Placio de Cibeles and Atocha Train station). It took us maybe 30 minutes to reach the Westin. Maybe have your parents take the car service and you catch them later at the hotel? That way they don't spend two jet lagged hours waiting for you.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I don't recall any place particularly great to meet after clearing customs, especially for 2 hours, but like geo not a regular visitor to MAD, and I was more focused on figuring out where the airport bus was to get to the train station.

I did like the airport bus (http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/horarios.html), but since I was immediately hopping a train to Zaragoza, it dropped me off right where I wanted to be.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by geo1005

That said, arrivals at MAD on a Friday morning were quick, simple and easy. Are you staying in central Madrid? We stayed at the Westin Palace and took the frequent and very cheap (runs every 15 min. at 2 euro per person) airport bus service which drops off at two locations downtown (Placio de Cibeles and Atocha Train station). It took us maybe 30 minutes to reach the Westin.
We're also staying at the Westin Palace. Which stop is closer to the Westin? I'd be willing to take the bus if it's a short walking distance to the West.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SS255
We're also staying at the Westin Palace. Which stop is closer to the Westin?
Placio de Cibeles. It is a very easy five minute walk. You will enjoy the Palace! ^
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:15 pm

The only place I can think of if you do end up wanting to meet at the airport is a cafeteria on the arrivals level when you exit to the right from baggage claim. It's nothing special.

I'll be there next week and let you know if I notice anything more appealing.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedric

I'll be there next week and let you know if I notice anything more appealing.
Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:22 am

Looks like the cafeteria is going to be your only reasonable option, if you choose to stay at the airport. It's called ARS and is on the arrivals level, exiting from baggage claim to the right. I don't remember anything landside on the departures level in that terminal.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedric
Looks like the cafeteria is going to be your only reasonable option, if you choose to stay at the airport. It's called ARS and is on the arrivals level, exiting from baggage claim to the right. I don't remember anything landside on the departures level in that terminal.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.