Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Club Behavior

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
US Airways Club Behavior

I am by no means stuffy and I'm sure I do some boorish things that annoy people. However, right now I'm sitting in the BOS US Airways Lounge and there is a man in his 40's wearing shorts and a t-shirt (no problem there), leaning back with his shoes off and dirty socks up on a communal table that he moved closer to his chair to use as a foot rest. I think that's a pretty aggressive move for the club. Thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Ugh, removing one's shoes in a club is bad enough... Propping them up on the furniture is even worse....

Trashy, plain and simple.....
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
People everywhere are losing their manners. I wish there would be a Going Out In Public license and you'd have to take a test to get one!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Was he wearing shoes, or sandals with socks?

That's the biggie.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Shoes are to remain on at all times in the airport. The end.* The only exceptions tolerated are in flight, and socks must remain on and shoes put back on for bathroom visits.

*TSA, if you're looking at me naked with your x-rays, you can look at my naked feet/shoes with your x-rays.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Oh you don't recognize him? The same trash who puts his bare feet on the bulkhead carpet!!! And clips his nails too on the floor. Yes, I've seen it all.

So sorry for your experience.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by axpmaluga
I am by no means stuffy and I'm sure I do some boorish things that annoy people. However, right now I'm sitting in the BOS US Airways Lounge and there is a man in his 40's wearing shorts and a t-shirt (no problem there), leaning back with his shoes off and dirty socks up on a communal table that he moved closer to his chair to use as a foot rest. I think that's a pretty aggressive move for the club. Thoughts?
Why do you mention shorts and a tshirt if it doesn't matter?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by samgvb
Why do you mention shorts and a tshirt if it doesn't matter?
Just to set the picture a little better. I usually travel in a suit for work but if I'm on vacation or traveling for other personal reasons I have no problems wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the club or first class.

There were definitely no sandals or shoes of any kind.*

*Re-read your post and got the inference. I don't know whether he was wearing sandals with the socks but it's definitely possible.

Last edited by axpmaluga; Nov 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
At least he didn't start trimming his toe nails (saw that on WMATA's Orange line on Wednesday).......
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Shoes are to remain on at all times in the airport. The end.* The only exceptions tolerated are in flight, and socks must remain on and shoes put back on for bathroom visits.
I'm with you, except the bathroom bit.
If you have socks on and if you want to step on the dribbles that is your business.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Walked over to PHL A club the other morning to see how it is doing stripped of its envoy status. Sad (but that is another story).

What I did see was about 20 people sprawled out in deep sleep.

Given that there were only about 4 people in the club awake, I found this rather strange. Some were sleeping sitting in their chairs, but others were sprawled out in 2 chairs, or propped on bags. I have to say it gave the place a really weird feel, sort of like... well sort of like nothing really - it was just plain weird. Is this a one off, or is the A club turning into an AM sleep room? Is this acceptable?

I would say that people can do whatever they like in their chair as long as they are clothed and quiet, but the sprawling... I suppose the Envoy dragons were not ready for this.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Oh you don't recognize him? The same trash who puts his bare feet on the bulkhead carpet!!! And clips his nails too on the floor. Yes, I've seen it all.

So sorry for your experience.
i would literally puke
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Nothing new

Unfortunately the OP's experience is more and more often the norm. Used the *A business lounge at CDG recently. The very first trhing one saw upon entering the lounge, (after check-in and down the stairs) was a morbidly obese woman sprawled out completely prone on the bank of bench seating, literally looking like a beached whale - snoring. I do not know for certain, but I supect her to have been American based upon her manner of dress and her carry-on articles also sprwaled about her. Made me want to apologize to everyone in the club on behalf of Americans with manners. This was in a club that even has a designated quiet area for napping. I absolutely have empathy for stranded travelers who are either jet-lagged or on long unexpected delays. I do not condone the treatment of the club like your own personal bedroom. I seem to be seeing more and more examples of pax in all of the carrier's clubs who think that pulling up multiple chairs to make a nest for sleeping is ok. It's not.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: US-G/*G, SPG-G, MR-G, Avis-F
I wish that the Club would implement a "quite zone - no cell phone use" area. Nothing is more annoying (I can tolerate the sleepers, unless they are drooling/snoring) than people who SCREAM into their cell phones in public. Other than people, who feel compelled to pace the floor, while SCREAMING into their cell phones.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by FlyNhighAgain
I wish that the Club would implement a "quite zone - no cell phone use" area. ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, FlyNhighAgain ^

They're experimenting with this concept in the CLT C/D Club by turning the old smoking lounge into a Quiet Zone - no cell phones please (prominent sign on door). It's a quiet place to relax. If it's used widely (and if they could get more space), they may expand it to other Clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.