Wiki Posts
Search

Silver upgraded 11 days out!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat50, Delta Silver, United Silver, Hilton Gold
Silver upgraded 11 days out!

Lurker since 2008 but first post. Last week I gave my 6 year old trial silver status (having got 45 segments) as we have a family trip coming up and want to 'move-up' - he has his own PNR and the rest of the family are in another PNR (due to Mastercard buy one get 2 for $99) and can move-up for free on my silver status.

This morning, he received an e-mail stating that he did not have an upgrade on outbound flight this week but had a confirmed upgrade for return flight on 11/26. This is 10/11 days out. I checked US Airways site and he does have seat 1A.

He received another e-mail later in the day inviting him as a envoy passenger to go to the US Airways Club - this is a domestic upgrade from Florida to PHL!

Anyone else experience something like this?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by rw_cessna_flyer
Lurker since 2008 but first post. Last week I gave my 6 year old trial silver status (having got 45 segments) as we have a family trip coming up and want to 'move-up' - he has his own PNR and the rest of the family are in another PNR (due to Mastercard buy one get 2 for $99) and can move-up for free on my silver status.

This morning, he received an e-mail stating that he did not have an upgrade on outbound flight this week but had a confirmed upgrade for return flight on 11/26. This is 10/11 days out. I checked US Airways site and he does have seat 1A.

He received another e-mail later in the day inviting him as a envoy passenger to go to the US Airways Club - this is a domestic upgrade from Florida to PHL!

Anyone else experience something like this?
Was he per chance on a full-fare ticket? Those will upgrade right away for preferred members (emphasis mine):

Enjoy the comforts of First Class. If an upgrade becomes available, we'll automatically upgrade you and a companion to First Class (when traveling in the same reservation). Complimentary upgrades may be awarded up to 2 days in advance.

* Complimentary upgrades are subject to capacity controls and exclude travel to/from Hawaii and Europe, South America and the Middle East. Full-fare (Y or B class) economy tickets may be upgraded anytime after ticketing. Companions must be booked in the same reservation and be processed at the same time as the Preferred member.
Otherwise, if it's a bug, it's a pretty neat one.

-OM
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Tell your 6 year old to enjoy Rome!

FYI= FCO is Rome while MCO is Orlando!

Just kidding...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to mention, even crazier is that he is on a saver reward ticket! I know that reward tickets are not normally eligible for upgrades.

Sadly for the kids its to the Miami area rather than MCO.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Check the account from which the miles were taken to pay for the ticket. I've once had a problem where the agent processing the award fat-fingered the account number, issuing a stranger's ticket from my DM account. Fortunately I caught the problem, and US resolved it quickly. It's possible your son's ticket somehow has the details of another passenger co-mingled.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks dcpatti. Miles came from my account (and it has been debited the 20,000) so it doesn't seem like this could have happened in this instance.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by rw_cessna_flyer
Lurker since 2008 but first post. ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, rw_cessna_flyer ^

Never heard of such a happening, but sometimes US IT does things we don't understand ... all part of the fun of flying US, hah.

Let us know what your 6-year-old likes more - the wider seat or the snack basket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.