Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Club access for non US *G Members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, LH SEN
US Airways Club access for non US *G Members

I assume this issue has been discussed several times before but there are plenty of different answers/experiences out here.

I'm a EuroBonus (SK) Gold Member and have some domestic flights with US out of BOS, IAD and LAS coming up in the next months.
Do I have access to the US Airways Club with a domestic ticket in Y and my EuroBonus Gold Card?
According to the Star Alliance Rules it shouldn't be a problem and I have done it several times on UA/CO without any problems but never with US.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr.Niels
I'm a EuroBonus (SK) Gold Member and have some domestic flights with US out of BOS, IAD and LAS coming up in the next months.

Do I have access to the US Airways Club with a domestic ticket in Y and my EuroBonus Gold Card?

According to the Star Alliance Rules it shouldn't be a problem and I have done it several times on UA/CO without any problems but never with US.
Yes. It should work with US just like it does with UA/CO.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...have some domestic flights with US out of BOS, IAD and LAS coming up in the next months. ...
Of the 3 airports mentioned, only BOS has a US Club, and, as AZ Travels the World notes above, you shouldn't have a problem getting in with your *G card and Y ticket.

US Club locations
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Actually US is the only *A I know of which doesn't require a same day US BP for entry. IAD, as a UA hub, has three UC lounges, but you won't be able to access with *A and a non-UA (CO) BP.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
US Airways Club lounges are also more generous now to non-US *G regarding free Internet. A couple of years ago, they didn't give out the free day cards, which was a major hassle. I was pleasantly surprised this year.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
Actually US is the only *A I know of which doesn't require a same day US BP for entry. IAD, as a UA hub, has three UC lounges, but you won't be able to access with *A and a non-UA (CO) BP.
Are you sure about that? I have accessed the United Clubs in LAS, ORD, and SFO countless times with US boarding passes and an AC *G card. Never tried IAD's clubs though.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACA321
Are you sure about that? I have accessed the United Clubs in LAS, ORD, and SFO countless times with US boarding passes and an AC *G card. Never tried IAD's clubs though.
I am sure. Doesn't mean that RCC/UC didn't let it slide. But, recently, UA has been asking for a BP from everyone. Recently at ORD was asked for BP when presenting an RCC card at an RCC.

Given that the lobster thermidor at the gate is just as good at the RCC/UC, not sure of value anymore anyway.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
UA can't do that. All their RCC/PCs are *G lounges, and must follow the published *A rules, which say that you are allowed with a same day *A BP.

Now their rules with RCC/PC/US Club membership might be different...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by ACA321
...Never tried IAD's clubs though.
It's rare for me to connect at IAD, but it seems like I always encounter a problem gaining entry to RCC/UC there (no problems whatsoever with other UC clubs). This is not on-topic re OP's query of *G with Y tix entry to US Club, but I thought I'd share anyway since OP is connecting at IAD soon ...

Recently at IAD UC (the one by D4, IIRC), I presented my US Club card and UA BP. The lady scanned my BP (and maybe swiped my card - I don't remember), went tap, tap on keyboard and looked up bewildered, "What's a Chairman's ... is it Star Goild?" Oh dear ... I gently reminded her that I was not seeking access as a *G but as a US Club member with reciprocity privileges ... didn't seem to work ... more tap, tap ... calls co-worker over ... discussion ... (meanwhile, the queue is forming with flyers wondering what the hold up is). I offered to provide ID as stated in the rules, but she said it wasn't necessary with the BP provided. FINALLY she just shrugged her shoulders and waved me through *sigh*

Next week, I fly SFO-IAD-LHR and hope for a better experience at IAD UC
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
UA can't do that. All their RCC/PCs are *G lounges, and must follow the published *A rules, which say that you are allowed with a same day *A BP.

Now their rules with RCC/PC/US Club membership might be different...
That's what this thread is about. Pax needs *G card + same-day BP, except at US which only requires *G card.

You are wrong to suggest that *G card itself isn't required. Tons of threads all over FT about entry denials without the physical card. That's because *A is simply a reimbursement system and reimbursement now requires a card swipe. No card swipe = no reimbursement to the club operator.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
I am sure. Doesn't mean that RCC/UC didn't let it slide. But, recently, UA has been asking for a BP from everyone. Recently at ORD was asked for BP when presenting an RCC card at an RCC.

Given that the lobster thermidor at the gate is just as good at the RCC/UC, not sure of value anymore anyway.
I agree with you about the value of the RCC/UC, however I think you're misunderstanding the *G rules- at least for card holders of foreign (non-US-based carriers) *G cards.

This is from the Star Alliance website- http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

"Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport (note this doesn't state you must be on a flight operated by the owner of the lounge)
Customer is entitled to one guest
Continental, United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Clubs, US Airways Clubs and Presidents Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight."

You are correct that a valid boarding pass and *G card is required. I've always had my AC *G card swiped and same-day, departing Star Alliance flight boarding pass checked. However, since the UC/RCC are *A Gold lounges, you may depart on any *A carrier and use the lounge, if you have a valid card. Now, as other posters have mentioned, and the info on *A's website itself states, if you are a *G member on US, UA or CO, you will not have these privileges if flying on a domestic itinerary. You need to have a paid membership to one of those programs, and hope that the agents at the entrance correctly understand and apply the reciprocal access policies.

In the OP's case, he would have no trouble accessing ANY *G lounge in the US on a domestic itinerary, given that his *G membership is with Scandinavian. It's the same for me- AC is considered a foreign carrier, and as such I may (and frequently do) use this card to access any *G lounge on a domestic itinerary, regardless of which airline I'm flying and which lounge I access. Sometimes it's a pain, as in the case of flying US out of SFO where you need to clear security in Terminal 3 to access the UC, and again in Terminal 1 to catch the US flight (can't wait until all domestic Star carriers are in the same terminal!), but if you have enough time it can be done. Just did this with Mrs. ACA321 a few weeks ago for a US flight to CLT.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
If you have the time, check out LH Senator Lounge in Terminal B instead. Beats any United Club in IAD.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, LH SEN
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
If you have the time, check out LH Senator Lounge in Terminal B instead. Beats any United Club in IAD.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Yes. Much higher standard than every Red Carpet Club. Been there plenty of times since I fly out to Europe mostly from IAD with SK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.