Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live, Interesting Seat Recline dispute, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:02 pm

I'm disappointed that OP didn't take the lady's picture. Then I would know to avoid that lady.

For fairness, then I would request OP's picture. So I can avoid OP. I'm joking, in part.

I hope and expect that more airplanes have seats that slide forward (hard shell seats) to make room for more leg movement rather than seat physically moving back. With flyers being more aware of seat pitch, I bet the next feature that seatguru/seatexpert (if they do not have already) is whether the seat moves back or slides forward. If it says 60 inch seat pitch, shouldn't I expect 60 inch? Or should seatguru state what my seatpitch would be if seat-in-front reclined the seat?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by justhere
Which is what the OP did. Imposed on the person behind him for his own comfort.

I'm not saying it's his fault that the seats on this plane recline the way they do but the fact that they do does end up imposing on the person behind. If I'm the person behind I'm going to ask nicely if they wouldn't mind putting their seat forward just a little. However, if I chose to direct the air vent to where it hits them in the head, I certainly wouldn't tell them that's what I'm doing. I would just say that the air vent is there and adjustable in volume and direction for my comfort. I have chosen to position it the way I have because that's what's comfortable for me. Just as you have chosen to position your seat in a way that is comfortable for you.
Totally agree. I'm excited to try this on my next flight!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
You should have just asked for a blanket and ended it there.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Not taking a high road here, but on the very rare occasions that I recline my seat at all on a domestic flight, I do always turn around to see if the person behind me is working or has the tray table down. If so, I don't recline at all. If I do recline it is only a tiny bit to take a little pressure off the lumbar.

On having the person in front of me recline.... I have actually been blocked into the window seat because of a 'recliner' - actually two. The gentleman beside me had just flown in on a connecting flight from Rio and after plugging in to his music on his iPod was almost immediately asleep. The lady in front did a full, sudden, forceful recline totally catching me off guard and almost smacking me in the face (I was reaching for my own headphones). Her seatmate (aisle) reclined as well. I was basically blocked in my seat for the duration of the flight - not so comfortable a situation after a cup of coffee. I am not a big person but there was no way I was going to be able to exit for the lav without inconveniencing someone. Perhaps if I had pulled my legs up, stood on my seat, and stepped over to the man's armrest I could have leapt into the aisle. Luckily, after a while, I noticed my seatmate stir and open his eyes. He graciously let me out (having to twist himself to do so) - even he rolled his eyes at the two reclined seats in front of us. I still had to just about crawl on the seat to get out.

I think it is just a lack of common sense and airplane etiquette of the people in front of us. This was a 10:00 a.m. flight.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by miffSC
Not taking a high road here, but on the very rare occasions that I recline my seat at all on a domestic flight, I do always turn around to see if the person behind me is working or has the tray table down. If so, I don't recline at all. If I do recline it is only a tiny bit to take a little pressure off the lumbar.

On having the person in front of me recline.... I have actually been blocked into the window seat because of a 'recliner' - actually two. The gentleman beside me had just flown in on a connecting flight from Rio and after plugging in to his music on his iPod was almost immediately asleep. The lady in front did a full, sudden, forceful recline totally catching me off guard and almost smacking me in the face (I was reaching for my own headphones). Her seatmate (aisle) reclined as well. I was basically blocked in my seat for the duration of the flight - not so comfortable a situation after a cup of coffee. I am not a big person but there was no way I was going to be able to exit for the lav without inconveniencing someone. Perhaps if I had pulled my legs up, stood on my seat, and stepped over to the man's armrest I could have leapt into the aisle. Luckily, after a while, I noticed my seatmate stir and open his eyes. He graciously let me out (having to twist himself to do so) - even he rolled his eyes at the two reclined seats in front of us. I still had to just about crawl on the seat to get out.

I think it is just a lack of common sense and airplane etiquette of the people in front of us. This was a 10:00 a.m. flight.
Your post reminded me of The Airport Episode on Seinfeld. There's a scene when Elaine (in a coach middle) has to hop over Mr Aisle (with bags galore) and falls into the pax across the aisle. (the same time as Jerry, seated in F, is given slippers).
This show should be required viewing for membership to FT

Anyway, I'll try to be more cognizant before I put my own seat back from now on. I have the opposite reaction to the OP, I usually want it up, at least partway, when I use my computer or to eat, and put it back if I'm sleeping.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:59 am

I don't think anyone should EVER recline the whole way

I think it is just plain inconsiderate for anyone to recline their seat the whole way. It is just not necessary and everyone knows it ticks off those behind them. It puts the reclining persons head in the face of the person behind them, limits that persons available space and limits the ability of non-aisle passengers to get in and out of them to get to the lav.

Why don't the airlines solve this once and for all by reducing the distance seats recline.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Unless it is my imagination, the F seats have greater recline capability than the Y seats. You didn't feel it as much when US's F cabins had 38" of pitch, but losing those extra 2" really made a difference in comfort when the person in front of you reclines.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddreg
I think it is just plain inconsiderate for anyone to recline their seat the whole way. It is just not necessary and everyone knows it ticks off those behind them.
Wow.

1. It's not up to you decide for other people whether it's necessary.
2. It doesn't tick me off when someone reclines and, I suspect, it doesn't tick off most people. I don't understand why YOU get ticked off when someone takes advantage of the space allotted to them, not you.

It puts the reclining persons head in the face of the person behind them,
I've never seen that. You must be very tall, or else you fly on strange airlines.

limits that persons available space
It's not that person's space -- the arc of recline belongs to the person in front of them.

and limits the ability of non-aisle passengers to get in and out of them to get to the lav.
Any non-aisle seat is limited in this regard, whether or not the person in front has reclined. If you need to hit the head and find yourself blocked in, politely ask the person in the aisle seat to let you up. That's a downside of sitting in an aisle.

Why don't the airlines solve this once and for all by reducing the distance seats recline.
Because it's not an issue, except for people who think they have a right to tell other people what to do.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I think it is just plain inconsiderate for anyone to recline their seat the whole way. It is just not necessary and everyone knows it ticks off those behind them. It puts the reclining persons head in the face of the person behind them, limits that persons available space and limits the ability of non-aisle passengers to get in and out of them to get to the lav.

Spirit's seats come "pre-reclined". Cathay Pacific now has shell seats that don't recline into the person's space behind you, either.

I suggest anyone who takes grievous offence to a passenger in front of them reclining start flying NK or CX.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
When I'm driving my car, I have the right to crank the stereo full-volume unless I'm in a hospital or other "quiet" zone. Others may not appreciate my taste in music or my sprung bass; they might find it detracts from their enjoyment of their front porch when I'm idling at the traffic light with (insert godawful song here). If they flip me the bird, they're the jerk for doing that, even though many of us may secretly applaud them; after all, I'm irritating with my loud music, even if I'm allowed to play it.

Once flipped the bird, I can choose to turn down my music, or drive away; neither of these make me a jerk. If I instead crank it up to 11, flip the bird right back, or begin throwing soda bottles, then I'm just as much of a jerk.

We can debate the right to recline till the cows come home. We'll never get a consensus. What's not debatable is that neither the recliner nor the reclinee have the right to act like a jerk, and they both did.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dcpatti
What's not debatable is that neither the recliner nor the reclinee have the right to act like a jerk, and they both did.
I contend I did not "act like a jerk".

I had no ill-will. The threat to take a picture of the passenger in 4D was only after escalation had been had where neither she nor the flight attendant would support turning off the air vent on full volume off my head. This was not a threat of physical violence, nor name calling. This was just my only recourse left to peacefully defend myself from having an air vent directed upon me out of malice by the other passenger. When I finished working, i moved the seat up. I wasn't even reclined the entire way.

You are free to read and interpret the facts as listed and come to your opinion. I take exception with the opinion that you felt like I "acted like a jerk". I guess we won't see eye to eye on that.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:14 pm

Because it's not an issue, except for people who think they have a right to tell other people what to do.[/QUOTE]

I am about to tell you what to do! Life works a bit better if we are considerate of one another and there are ramifications of you exerting your power and ability to use up YOUR space. Bet you voted for Obummer. Geesh!!!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by beofotch

I had no ill-will. The threat to take a picture of the passenger in 4D was only after escalation had been had where neither she nor the flight attendant would support turning off the air vent on full volume off my head. This was not a threat of physical violence, nor name calling. This was just my only recourse left to peacefully defend myself from having an air vent directed upon me out of malice by the other passenger. When I finished working, i moved the seat up. I wasn't even reclined the entire way.

You are free to read and interpret the facts as listed and come to your opinion. I take exception with the opinion that you felt like I "acted like a jerk". I guess we won't see eye to eye on that.
Using any threat is an openly hostile, aggressive and jerky thing to do. It's reasonable for the recipient of that threat to feel bullied, pressured or intimidated. You don't have to threaten someone with violence. You could have, instead, asked the other passenger if there was any chance to compromise. Perhaps with the help of the FA, a seat swap could have been arranged; perhaps even offering to swap with the passenger behind you, so that you could recline unencumbered and she could be free of a reclining neighbor. There were a LOT of choices that didn't involve making threats.

I'm not saying that the other passenger was right. I don't think she was. I'm just saying that you don't have to throw fuel to the fire. That is the kind of a think a jerk does.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:25 pm

I then summoned the flight attendant again and noted to him what she had said to me and her threatening tone. She then spoke to him. He came to me and said, “She has taken her air vent off you, wouldn’t you be so kind as to not recline your seat? No other passengers are reclined.” I responded, “while I am working I want to have my seat reclined, I don’t see why this is a problem. I am 6’ 4” and fly enough to be a Dividend Miles Platinum and this has never been an issue in the past..” He responded, “well in that case I can’t stop her from putting her air vent on your head.”. I replied, “if she continues to do that, I will get out my camera phone and take her picture and post it on flyertalk.com and note that this is a passenger who puts her air vent on other passengers.” He paused for a moment and said, “if you take a picture of her, I will have the police meet this flight in Los Angeles.”
Let me count the ways:

- DYKWIA (notice even 4D doesn't mention her CHAIRMAN status even after you drop your platinum status, which you figured out after glancing over at manifest. I wonder how you would have phrased your initial post if she was Silver or Gold - eek!).
- Mentioned flyertalk
- Threat that you will take and post pic of 4D on flyertalk
- Not obeying or listening to Flight attendant's request
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because it's not an issue, except for people who think they have a right to tell other people what to do.
I am about to tell you what to do! Life works a bit better if we are considerate of one another and there are ramifications of you exerting your power and ability to use up YOUR space. Bet you voted for Obummer. Geesh!!!
No one, including you, has ever given me an adequate explanation as to why, in these discussions, "being considerate," is defined as someone not reclining because it bothers the person behind them. I define "being considerate," as taking care of your own needs without imposing on strangers. If the airline-allocated space is insufficient for you, book an exit row, a bulkhead, or buy an F seat. Don't think, for a minute, that anyone has any obligation, either ethically, legally, or morally, because you're too cheap or short-sighted to see to your own needs. That is equally true if you are an obese passengers who didn't book two seats, or a parent who failed to book seats together.

Then again, someone who would include your silly and childish reference to "Obummer" in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with politics is probably far too self-involved to understand the meaning of consideration in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.