Wiki Posts
Search

Republic Flights Today?? Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Republic Flights Today?? Cancelled

Just got a call from a friend and it appears all Republic flights for US are cancelled or delayed over 2 hours this morning. Anyone know what is going on??
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Not sure if it's related but customers on the US Facebook page are complaining about "all" computer systems being down. Not sure what exactly is down, if it's really "all," etc but if there's a massive computer systems failure I'd imagine today will be full of delays and cancellations.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:40 am

Wow! I landed at 8 this morning and everything was fine in DCA. Must have happened after I left. Gotta love those computers
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
On Flightstats it appears in PHL and CLT most the flight cancellations and delays are Republic flights. Wonder if something happened to their computer system?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Could also be the data links between Republic and US, or Republic and the rest of the world (if it is indeed a computer systems issue specific to Republic). A careless construction crew, power failure, or an issue with the ISP can cut a company's communication with the outside world. Ideally they'd have redundant systems in a different geo location but depending on how that's set up (if it even exists), if your Primary site goes offline and can't talk to the Secondary site, it could automatically fail over to the "hot" site and only cause a 2-3 minute outage or there could be some poor stressed IT engineer trying to force that to happen. And that could take hours or more.

There has been a rash of airline computer outages this year. The government has long had a requirement for all agencies to have a hot site and be able to resume operations from the hot site, should the primary site go down; not sure what the time limit is, but you're required to do tests and operate from the hot sites every 6 months. The testing is where you find all the problems in your design-- it never, ever works as planned--- I wonder if the airlines are now being regulated to do the same, because unless your hardware is really raggedy, it just shouldn't be failing on this frequent a basis. I'd think it more likely that the airlines are now testing their DR procedures and failing, than US, UA, WN and now Republic all had massive outages in the same year during normal operations. That's just me thinking out loud though But to give some perspective, I help my customers with about a dozen DR tests each year and only have to do about 1 live DR a year. And the tests are always a mess.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:33 am

My family and I were victims of the UAL computer outtage this past summer. We were trying to non rev on United 2 days after the outtage and they were still scrambling trying to recover. We ended up using our Delta skymiles for award tickets so we didn't lose any more of our vacation.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by RICflyer
On Flightstats it appears in PHL and CLT most the flight cancellations and delays are Republic flights. Wonder if something happened to their computer system?
That would make sense. While US handles res functions for the Express carriers they each have their own dispatch and weight/balance systems. If Republic's went down it would affect all their flights but only theirs.

Jim
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I heard it was a problem with Republic getting their flight releases.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA-P, DL-Silver, Marriott-Plat, SPG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
stuck in the mess

I got stuck in the mess yesterday. All RPA flights were grounded from ~7a until nearly 12:00pm. If you looked at flightaware.com, I think there were less than 6 RPA flights in the air at 12:00 when normally there are 50+. After canceling most of the morning flights, the afternoon schedule picked up. I experienced cancellations on 5 RPA flights before getting a mainline back home.

sH
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:35 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
It was a software issue that led to a server failure. Luckily it was only Republic this time. Last time it was all of the servers. We had to cxl 150 flights and about 20 the next day. It is unfortunate that we have antiquated software but it’s the same software that all airlines use since there really isn’t a market for any large company to create software for specific airlines, the generic ones that are available are pieced together to do what it needs to.

It happens at EVERY airline and is not just RAH that has had the issue.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dcpatti
There has been a rash of airline computer outages this year.
At least there have been well-publicized outages this year. And, I suppose it depends on where and how long the outages are. With Facebook and Twitter, outages are known immediately. I doubt that there has been an unusually high number of outages.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL(gold) US UA(silver) F9 AA CO
republic problems 10/6

I was on an affected flight on 10/6, supposed to leave DCA->IND (nonstop) via Republic at 18:20 and canceled. we were told by USAIR agents and update messages a variety of things were the cause but not a computer problem until quite late. we were told at one time that we couldn't rebooked for IND until TWO days later, though I finally got it 'shortened' to only about 30 hours late. finally we were able to get a flight halfway (to Columbus OH) and drive the other 5hrs, (the one-way rental car cost almost as much as that ticket segment!) arriving about 7 hours late after all. it was a Very Bad Day.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sweeny
I was on an affected flight on 10/6, supposed to leave DCA->IND (nonstop) via Republic at 18:20 and canceled. we were told by USAIR agents and update messages a variety of things were the cause but not a computer problem until quite late. we were told at one time that we couldn't rebooked for IND until TWO days later, though I finally got it 'shortened' to only about 30 hours late. finally we were able to get a flight halfway (to Columbus OH) and drive the other 5hrs, (the one-way rental car cost almost as much as that ticket segment!) arriving about 7 hours late after all. it was a Very Bad Day.
You were told by Republic Agents, not US Agents.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:04 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
You were told by Republic Agents, not US Agents.
Republic doesnt have agents anymore and if we did they would be Chautauqua not Republic. The info was given by a US Airways agent.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cwe84
Republic doesnt have agents anymore and if we did they would be Chautauqua not Republic. The info was given by a US Airways agent.
Oh shoot, I completely forgot about that..

sorry to OP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.