Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to book 2 Fare Classes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
How to book 2 Fare Classes

Hi everyone,

Hope you all can help me with this little conundrum. For a flight I'm looking at (PHL-MCO), when looking at the ITA Matrix, it shows that for the outgoing flight, there is only one ticket available in the fare class K at $199.40 for a round trip ticket. Then it bumps up to fare class G for the 2nd ticket at $221.40 for a round trip ticket.

When I go to book only 1 ticket on US Airways website, I can get that lower fare class. However, if I go to book 2 tickets, it is forcing me to take both tickets at the higher price.

Is there anyway to book both tickets under the same reservation with each ticket in the separate fare classes? I'd prefer not to book two separate reservations.

Appreciate the help in advance...

Thanks!
-Matt
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:34 pm

There is not. To be on the same reservation, all travelers must be on the same itinerary (exact same flights, same class of service). So, in this case, you've got to choose; save $45 by booking separately or book together for the extra $45.

Unless you've got a reason to be in the same PNR (such as one of you has Preferred status, thus waiving bag fees and getting upgrades), I would book separately and save the $. If one of you has preferred status, I'd book together so you both get all the benefits (preferred seats, upgrades, free checked bags, Move UP, etc)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:48 am

Yep, this is a known downfall of booking in groups. Just book individually and unless you're sharing some form of elite benefits there is no downside.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:06 am
Suspended

Go Ahead without tension

This happened with me last year during a trip. I thought a lot but at last i paid some extra because there was no option.

You can save some money but taking different class tickets.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:22 am

?? No option ??

No idea what you mean- you can save by simply doing two reservations
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
Couldn't you buy separately then merge the PNRs?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Couldn't you buy separately then merge the PNRs?
No. You can't merge.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Sometimes it helps to look also at UA website for codeshares on the same US metal flights you want, or on other online travel sites. Not clear to me whether there's only the same central inventory of seats for all, or whether there's an allocation of various fare-bucket seats to various websites and so some may still have 2 K fare seats to sell while others may have 1 or 0. Worth a try ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.