Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accused my FF Account isn't Mine!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
Unhappy Accused my FF Account isn't Mine!!

I'm wondering what I should do about this...

Friday morning I had a 6am flight out of BNA (where I'm based) to MIA. I'm US Gold, 22 years old (look 16) and travel ALL the time.

I checked in at the First Class desk to grab my boarding pass. Gave her photo ID and she printed out my boarding pass. Then she looked at me--pulled my FF account up and said that my address on my ID doesn't match.

(FUNNY---SAME EMPLOYEE did this April 2010 and I complained to USAirways about it)

She was a total #*$U% about it! Accusing me of this in front of a whole crowd of people checking in. Said that she didn't think I was who I said I was. I called the Gold Desk and was pretty upset. She called BNA to talk to supervisor but couldn't get through to her..so the gold desk said I should email customer service.

My Aunt conveniently works for USAirways and she is going to contact US on my behalf. She also is going to tell them that I do travel all the time for work and pleasure.

I just feel that there is a certain way to find FF fraud and treating me the way the checkin counter agent did was wrong.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:55 pm

Never knew airport staff run FFP background checks.

Sorry to hear about this. Really sucks.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I know. The Gold Desk said she couldn't believe she actually did that...and that suspicion was wrong.

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Never knew airport staff run FFP background checks.

Sorry to hear about this. Really sucks.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:46 am

Sorry to hear they did this to you.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Sorry to hear you were treated badly. Definitely should not have happened, and I wonder if that same employee was taking a bit of revenge on you (I'm just conspiracy theorizing).

However, on another note, it is good to see the airline taking precautions against fraud. See here for a related story with some interesting parallels:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-my-miles.html

Sounds like they're doing more about this lately but just need to implement their precautions with a lot more tact.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Sorry to hear you were treated badly. Definitely should not have happened, and I wonder if that same employee was taking a bit of revenge on you (I'm just conspiracy theorizing).

However, on another note, it is good to see the airline taking precautions against fraud. See here for a related story with some interesting parallels:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-my-miles.html

Sounds like they're doing more about this lately but just need to implement their precautions with a lot more tact.
I see you are the OP in the linked thread, and you claimed theft and fraud, and promised update, however no update reported for 6 years?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by ausstone
I'm wondering what I should do about this...

...Then she looked at me--pulled my FF account up and said that my address on my ID doesn't match.
(
What should you do? Change your account address to match the address on your ID, or vice-versa.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott, United
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What should you do? Change your account address to match the address on your ID, or vice-versa.
+1 especially if this has happened to you before!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: US Gold
The *simple* thing is to show ID with no address on it in future. eg, passport, passport card, etc.

wg
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Im in college and therefor have a different mailing address than physical one. Parents house (my id address) is 5 hours away...you dont just change your address for college.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by ausstone
I'm US Gold, 22 years old (look 16) and travel ALL the time.
OK, any pictures please, that we can judge if you were right or not *ROFL*
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by travelkid
I see you are the OP in the linked thread, and you claimed theft and fraud, and promised update, however no update reported for 6 years?
Updated. See the other thread.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Plenty of people have more than one address. It would be worth reminding her of this fact.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Sounds like the employee wasn't properly "retrained" the first time you complained. See if you can escalate it.

Mike
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If you can't show ID that matches the FF account, then match the FF account details to the ID; US only sends really "relevant" mail once a year when the new membership kits go out, so where's the harm in having that go to the OP's parents' house? They can forward or the OP can pick up when he/she is visiting.

It used to be a LOT easier to have two people "share" the same FF number (not just with US). It's still theoretically do-able if you have identical names-- like a Joe Bob Smith and Joe Bob Smith Jr, just leave off the Jr-- the TSA requirement to collect DOB definitely makes it harder but I'm sure there is someone out there somewhere doing just that. The CSR is clearly being over-zealous but just sorting out this one's attitude does nothing to address the dozens of CSR's out there who may make the same assumption in the future. So save yourself the hassle and just have some consistent documentation. Or as already suggested, use a passport or other ID that has no address on it. I don't blame the agents for trying to sniff out the people who are abusing the system--- like many, I work really hard and spend a lot of money trying to maintain my status and I will be pissed if someone is getting all the benefits by having 2 people's activity credit to one account. Yes they do need to be polite and discreet about their inquiries but the OP has the power to prevent himself from being mistaken for a potential trickster by not showing documents that add an element of suspicion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.