Flying United Codeshare...Few Questions

Old Jul 27, 11, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Flying United Codeshare...Few Questions

So, for an upcoming October flight I'm looking at, it is currently running for PHL to MSY at $270 on US Airways. For the exact same flight, if purchased through United instead through codesharing, it is at $253. So, a $34 difference for two tickets. Not much, but still something.

I've never flown on a codeshare flight before, so I was hoping the helpful folks on here can give some advice.

1) If there is any type of an overbooking situation, do they look to kick people off first that booked as a codeshare? Would there be any other foreseeable negative impact of sending United my money instead of US Airways?

2) This flight will put me over the top to get Silver status. On United's site, it shows up as a Class V Ticket, which according to US Airways site will give me 100% miles. Will these definitely be 100% preferred qualifying miles? Or is there any chance of that getting messed up by purchasing through United?

3) If I purchase the ticket through United, how long does it typically take to get those miles processed into my US Airways account?

4) I have a US Airways Credit Card that gets me double miles on flight purchases. Should I assume that I won't get double miles on this one if booked through United? On the same token, this card gives me Zone 2 boarding. Will it still give me that boarding zone if I book through United?

5) Do people think that the price of $253 is a pretty good deal for non-stop for PHL to MSY?

Appreciate everyone's feedback in advance!!
Old Jul 27, 11, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
US and UA are close partners in the Star Alliance.

Save the $! I would book the United code-share, plug in your US Airways Dividend Mile number for the flight credit and use the US Airways MC for the purchase. You should have no issues given this is a non-stop. You should get the zone 2 boarding and you will get 100% mileage credit to put you over the top for Silver Preferred.
Old Jul 27, 11, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Should be all good

Did something similar once -- I am assuming that the metal is US -- and I recall that once I had my US DM mileage in the system, I was able to act as though it were a US flight : there should be a US confirmation number as well as the UA confirmation number ; and the former should allow you to choose seats as US (although since you are not yet Silver, doesn't really matter). Anyhow, I don't think that you will be discriminated against (other than via the random outrages that arise if you fly enough) ; and posting of miles should be as per normal.

Anyhow, my experience ... or recollection thereof
Old Jul 27, 11, 4:47 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plt, Hertz #1G PC
I do this quite a bit, and you shouldn't have any problems. Save the money and go codeshare. FYI, it does take me a bit longer to have miles hit my account from UA, usually about a week or so.
Old Jul 27, 11, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
UA has typically only taken 1-2 days to post for me, but it has been more in the 2 day range of late.

Using the US DM credit card to buy on the UA site won't get extra miles. You should get Zone 2 boarding when flying US so long as your US Dividend Miles # is properly on the reservation (do verify it shows up on your boarding pass) as this benefit is tied to your DM#.

I think $253 isn't a bad fare, between demand, lower capacity and high fuel prices.
Old Jul 28, 11, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
You get zone 2 boarding and free bags. Once your US DM number is in there, you'll be treated just as if you'd bought on US ticket stock.

I find booking class availability lags between code shares and frequently buy UA flights on US stock, UA flights on CO stock, etc.
Old Aug 1, 11, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Hum? Before I earned US Silver I was treated just like any other pax on UA codeshare flights.

Flew a UA codeshare flight in May and couldn't get an aisle seat on either the US or UA website. Called both airlines too and still sat in the middle. Only choice was to pay $39 for E+ on UA.

I'm flying a UA/CO/US codeshare in a few weeks and was able to select my seat on the CO website for the UA operated flight. Got exit row on US operated and chance for an upgrade.
Old Aug 1, 11, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El View Post
Hum? Before I earned US Silver I was treated just like any other pax on UA codeshare flights.

Flew a UA codeshare flight in May and couldn't get an aisle seat on either the US or UA website. Called both airlines too and still sat in the middle. Only choice was to pay $39 for E+ on UA.

I'm flying a UA/CO/US codeshare in a few weeks and was able to select my seat on the CO website for the UA operated flight. Got exit row on US operated and chance for an upgrade.
To be clear, you can get your US privileges on US metal booked as a UA (codeshare) flight.

I agree that when it is UA metal, you are out of luck when it comes to seating (and probably boarding unless you are >= US Gold).
Old Aug 1, 11, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
To be clear, you can get your US privileges on US metal booked as a UA (codeshare) flight.

I agree that when it is UA metal, you are out of luck when it comes to seating (and probably boarding unless you are >= US Gold).
Okay thanks. I was thinking the other way around.

P.S - For some reason I'm craving McDonald's fries right now.
Old Aug 3, 11, 10:47 am
mgi

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post

I am a US Gold and have been flying UA metal a lot recently and most of the time at the UA check-in kiosk, I automatically get assigned to Economy Plus (even when there are non E-Plus seats open). I thought that this was a published benefit but found out that it isnt. Dont think UA is being good to me for no reason so am curious to hear other experiences - maybe its just an unpublished benefit?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: