Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US F versus AA F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

US F versus AA F

Last week I had the chance to fly PHX to ORD on US in F and return on AA in F.

My thoughts;

US Airways: PHX-ORD

A320. Clean and comfortable seat. Slightly sub-par seat pitch. Pre-flight cocktail. On time departure and early arrival. Dinner flight meal choices were chicken breast or manicotti / stuffed shells. I chose the chicken and it was great and the portion was unusually large. The chicken breast was great and included salad, roast beef appetizer, vegetable, dinner roll, cheesecake. Drinks and wine served in glasses. Very pleasurable flight.

American Airlines: ORD-PHX

MD80. Noticeably better seat pitch but somewhat outdated aircraft. Pre-flight drinks consisted of water or OJ choice. On time departure and arrival. Same meal choices - chicken or stuffed shells pasta. Chose the pasta and it was completely cold. Shrimp appetizer, salad, dinner roll. Separate desert service was ice cream - very good. Pleasant and efficient flight attendant but she disappeared for the last half of the flight.

BOTTOM LINE;

In my opinion US Airways F service on my particular flights at least equalled if not exceeded AA's domestic F product overall. A very refreshing change for US.
Hopefully this continues.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
US making big improvements.

The one area of differentiation in domestic F service AA vs US that I am still noticing over the last twelve months or so is pre-departure service.

AA flight crews consistently take and hang up my jacket, welcome me on board, and ask for my PDB preference.

US crews do the PDB, and the west crews often welcome me on board, but my jacket is never a thought to them. I generally need to request that they take and hang it up.

Otherwise, US has made huge strides forward in the last year for soft product, and the rest is just personal preferences like the Mad Dog's roomier F compared to the A320, or what route will have GoGo, etc.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
I've always avoided the pasta meals on US, but with the recent F improvements, the pasta is great (and not just for airplane food).
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:20 am

AA will serve meals in F on all flights longer than 90 minutes during meal times. US serves meals on flights longer than 3 hours.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I've recently made the switch from AA to US, and I have to agree with the OP. I Recently took two trips, both in F from PHL to LAS. One on AA and the other US. I found the drinks to flow on both, seats on US to be a bit nicer. Service about the same on both - quite friendly.

I managed two dinners (a bit ridiculous if you ask me) on AA as it connected through ORD; and 0 dinners US. My goal is to find a flight with 1 meal....Though the snack basket was a nice touch.

My Bottom Line: US was signifigantly cheaper for paid first, I think around $400. And I'm sure I could find some outstanding airport food to eat along the way. Two meals worth - even
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by jdcece
Last week I had the chance to fly PHX to ORD on US in F and return on AA in F.

My thoughts;

US Airways: PHX-ORD

A320. Clean and comfortable seat. Slightly sub-par seat pitch. Pre-flight cocktail. On time departure and early arrival. Dinner flight meal choices were chicken breast or manicotti / stuffed shells. I chose the chicken and it was great and the portion was unusually large. The chicken breast was great and included salad, roast beef appetizer, vegetable, dinner roll, cheesecake. Drinks and wine served in glasses. Very pleasurable flight.

American Airlines: ORD-PHX

MD80. Noticeably better seat pitch but somewhat outdated aircraft. Pre-flight drinks consisted of water or OJ choice. On time departure and arrival. Same meal choices - chicken or stuffed shells pasta. Chose the pasta and it was completely cold. Shrimp appetizer, salad, dinner roll. Separate desert service was ice cream - very good. Pleasant and efficient flight attendant but she disappeared for the last half of the flight.

BOTTOM LINE;

In my opinion US Airways F service on my particular flights at least equalled if not exceeded AA's domestic F product overall. A very refreshing change for US.
Hopefully this continues.

Did either provide hot towel service? And did AA provide linens with the tray and cloth napkins?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just did PHL-SFO in FC on US. There was a hot towel service, pre-departure drinks, glassware, and a really good meal! Also was some super tasty cheesecake for dessert. A lot of improvements going on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.