Wiki Posts
Search

US Status on Virgin Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
US Status on Virgin Atlantic

I am not sure if I should post this here or on the VS forum, but I think this is the better try.

I am working on a trip to Europe, in order to save an overnight, I am considering taking a VS flight from LHR-EWR, that leaves at 8:25 PM. As far as I can tell in the last flight back to North America from Europe.

I know I can earn US Dividend Miles with the flight, but I curious will my US PP status (or *G) help me anything?

Would I be able to get lounge access even though I would be flying premium economy and not upper class? Would I get any other preferred benefits?

Thanks,
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: US Gold
I asked Virgin this same question last year. The answer is NO. You will not be able to use their lounge,a nd they don't care at all what your *A status is.

wg
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Mileage earning is pretty much the only perk shared between US and VS; to some extent I guess you could count mileage redemption as a perk but since you can't redeem for PE or UC, it might be of limited use to folks. There's nothing else that your US or *A status will get you when flying VS; no extra baggage, priority boarding, or lounge access. Even VS' own members can't get into the Upper Class lounges when not flying Upper Class unless they have very high status.

Also when you apply your US DM# to your VS flight, it will display with VS as the program-- this is apparently normal for how the VS computer systems are set up--- but either way, the chances of the flight actually crediting without having to fax/mail in your BP's are pretty low. Put your US # on your reservation but save your boarding passes and all paperwork because you will probably have to file a missing miles request. Apparently this comes from the VS side as they will not issue partner miles without documentation.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by travellerK
I am not sure if I should post this here or on the VS forum, but I think this is the better try.

I am working on a trip to Europe, in order to save an overnight, I am considering taking a VS flight from LHR-EWR, that leaves at 8:25 PM. As far as I can tell in the last flight back to North America from Europe.

I know I can earn US Dividend Miles with the flight, but I curious will my US PP status (or *G) help me anything?

Would I be able to get lounge access even though I would be flying premium economy and not upper class? Would I get any other preferred benefits?

Thanks,
Beware that some booking classes don't earn any Dividend Miles at all, and last I checked, any miles earned aren't status miles. This has always made me avoid VA, VX, etc. flights.

You can still get into various Star Gold lounges via your *G status in LHR and EWR.

Virgin Atlantic lounge access is strictly for premium cabin passengers. You can't "buy" your way in, although I think Amex Centurion cardholders can still get in. I wouldn't personally know, as I'm not a cardholder.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Joshua
You can still get into various Star Gold lounges via your *G status in LHR and EWR.
Not true! *G lounges are for departing flights on *A carriers. A VS boarding pass doesn't count.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jul 5, 2011 at 8:51 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:14 am

Beware that some booking classes don't earn any Dividend Miles at all, and last I checked, any miles earned aren't status miles. This has always made me avoid VA, VX, etc. flights.

Not true--- yes you do have to watch your booking classes but any mileage-earning classes WILL earn towards status. The higher-end PE fares earn 150% and the discounted PE earn 125%. http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ce_virgin.html

And you need to be on a *A itinerary to access a *A lounge based on your status.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Not true! *G lounges are for departing flights on *A carriers. A VS boarding pass doesn't count.
If the OP would book the VS flight as a CO code share could they get lounge access to a *Gold lounge? The flight is available if you search on CO's website.

Flight: CO9697
Operated by Virgin Atlantic Airways.
Aircraft: Airbus A340-600
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Also when you apply your US DM# to your VS flight, it will display with VS as the program-- this is apparently normal for how the VS computer systems are set up--- but either way, the chances of the flight actually crediting without having to fax/mail in your BP's are pretty low. Put your US # on your reservation but save your boarding passes and all paperwork because you will probably have to file a missing miles request. Apparently this comes from the VS side as they will not issue partner miles without documentation.
I will say that I've flown VS twice in the last six months and my DM account was credited quickly and without manual intervention both times so I wouldn't over-worry about that.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by neotope
If the OP would book the VS flight as a CO code share could they get lounge access to a *Gold lounge? The flight is available if you search on CO's website.

I believe you check in for the flight with the operating carrier (Virgin Atlantic) so you'd have a VS boarding pass, and the lounges want the *A boarding pass to get you in.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Actually, the outbound flight is on CO (as a VS codeshare), but it is a lot less expensive to buy it from VS than CO (no clue why).

I am assuming that I will have no problem getting into the PC in EWR.
In my experience the actual metal seems to be all the counts, who sold the ticket or code shared it never seems to have relevance.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:32 pm
Suspended

No. It's the operating metal that counts ... in this case, VS. No *A lounge access with a non-*A boarding pass.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travellerK
Actually, the outbound flight is on CO (as a VS codeshare), but it is a lot less expensive to buy it from VS than CO (no clue why).

I am assuming that I will have no problem getting into the PC in EWR.
In my experience the actual metal seems to be all the counts, who sold the ticket or code shared it never seems to have relevance.
As a *G on an international itinerary, you will be able to access the PC at EWR on the outbound as CO is the operating carrier.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Update since I took the trip as suggested

No problems with the PC longe in EWR.
Miles for the CO segment showed up in around 2 days

Had to make so with some really low quality Priority Pass lounge at LHR (but it was a short connection so not big deal)

VS miles took 6 days to show up, longer than most partners but not a big deal.
(By contrast, miles for the LH flight I took to LHR to connect with the VS flight had shown up by the time I landed in EWR!)

Oh, while I am at it, VS econumy plus is a serious step above Y and almost (but not quite) at J standards. Its not like UA E+ that is only a few extra inches of leg room
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:40 am

Virgin Atlantic lounge access is strictly for premium cabin passengers. You can't "buy" your way in, although I think Amex Centurion cardholders can still get in. I wouldn't personally know, as I'm not a cardholder.
Flew PE last month, and was able to get into the lounge for a fee, which was very high, and obviously not worth it.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
I've flown the 8:30 'last flight west' VS flight on a few occasions, and twice I've gotten an op-up. Both times I was told it was due to my status (nothing on VS, PL on US) I've just smiled and kept my mouth shut. But to this day, I've never had an op-up on US....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.