Why do they make it so difficult when you upgrade?

Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:25 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Why do they make it so difficult when you upgrade?

I just purchased 5 tickets PHX-MCO.

We take our 3 kids to MCO every year, and I called to see if we could upgrade our seats to first with miles.

I got a curt response that if we do that, then they will split the PNR and the other passengers loose the exception for free bags (we are * silver).

Its strange that I booked the flight with us all together, but to do an upgrade US Air splits the PNR to accomodate their process.

Im good with that, but then why make it so that the others on the original reservation now loose the ability to have free bags?

Luckily when I have done this before, the ticket agents waive the fee, and even said there is a new button on their computer to note the others as being part of the original PNR.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
If you're all in F, shouldn't you all get free bags, anyway?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:04 am

how many bags are you taking to disney world? each *S member gets two bags regardless of class of travel.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
No, 2 in F and 3 in coach.

2 Adults, 3 Kids ( 2 of them teens), one week cruise (plus formal wear)... we usually leave with 5 bags and return with 6.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:12 am

I can answer your first question "why do they make it so difficult?" Because the upgrade process was being abused. Oh and more important ALL THE US PROFIT CAME FROM EXTRA FEES if you listen to the quarterly report or Kirby. You need to think outside the box on this one and you can all fly with 8 free bags. I just posted a question on max bag total for a plat. But in your case you can easily get six bags free.

Last edited by Centurion; Jun 17, 2011 at 1:25 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Split the PNR to One SIlver one kid(those are your upgrade seats) You get 4 bags there. Keep the other silver and the two other kids on the other pnr and you should be all set. You can really sit however you want once you get on the plane.
I'm assuming both adults are Silver.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:45 am
Original Poster

I would, but they wont do that. (I tried).
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:50 am
Suspended

If there are 2 of you in FC -- that's 6 bags, is it not? Yeah the kids won't get free bags but who cares just check them all under your name. Only a problem if you are going to airport separately.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by billinaz
Its strange that I booked the flight with us all together, but to do an upgrade US Air splits the PNR to accomodate their process.
I think most airlines have to do this. Are there airlines that will allow miles to upgrade some but not all who are flying on one PNR? Maybe. Not surprised that this is difficult.

In the OP, you say "we" are silver. I'm understanding this to be the problem -- only one of you is silver. And it's that same person who has the miles to do the upgrade. So, that person has to be in F. If both you and your spouse were silver, or if the non-silver had the miles needed, this would be much easier. You'd simply keep the silver in coach, and you'd be able to take 12 bags for free.

At least the space was available for the upgrades. If you're going to disney, in the long run the baggage fees will be a drop in the bucket. Don't let it ruin the trip.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by masonuc
If there are 2 of you in FC -- that's 6 bags, is it not? Yeah the kids won't get free bags but who cares just check them all under your name. Only a problem if you are going to airport separately.
Looks like only 4. http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

I would plan on checking four, carrying two on. At check-in, I'd try to check all six and see if the agent does so for free. If so, great, if not, carry-on.

I was surprised to learn that the checked limit was two pieces in F - I would have assumed three pieces.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:41 am
Suspended

This really is pretty simple. I thought it was 3 bags per FC seat but it may be 2. Website says 2 but not 100% clear, I still think it might be 3.

That said...

All you need to do (if it is 2) is to NOT UPGRADE one Silver. That Silver gets 2 + 4 for the 2 seats in FC. Sit wherever you want -- it doesn't matter. And yes you can use miles to upgrade people in your party that aren't you, even if you don't upgrade yourself. Honestly this is the better way to do it anyway since you may get the free upgrade (okay, no chance of that if you are only silver but if you were GP/PP/CP maybe).
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
This really is pretty simple. I thought it was 3 bags per FC seat but it may be 2. Website says 2 but not 100% clear, I still think it might be 3.
I think it's pretty clear

Exempt from 1st and 2nd checked bag fee
Overweight/oversize fees may still apply (see overweight/oversize tab)
All Dividend Miles Preferred members
Confirmed First Class and Envoy passengers
Active U.S. military personnel on personal travel*
Active U.S. military personnel with ID and dependents traveling with them on orders (1st through 4th bags up to 100 lbs/45 kg each free of charge)*
Unaccompanied minors (with US Airways unaccompanied minor paid assistance)
Passengers traveling to/from the Middle East or South America
Star Alliance Silver and Gold status members
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:05 pm
Suspended

No. Like everything on the US Air website, it's not clear. And even if it was you can't be sure it is actually correct. (See the upgrade policy for companions).

What about 3rd bags? Not addressed anywhere. Are you telling me a guy on a first class ticket to Tel Aviv has to pay for his 3rd bag? I highly, highly doubt it. And if so how much is he charged? $200? You think that's accurate?

It's pretty unclear in what situations you get a 3rd bag free -- partly because the rules are different for all the different groups they've got lister under 2 bags free. And it may also get complicated when you are multiple categories (i.e., elite traveling to South America). And regardless of what the policy is for 3rd / 4th / etc. bag with those issues -- it's not clear what you pay -- do you pay as though you are paying for 1 bag, or a 3rd?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Isnt it 2 bags per person free?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Well, maybe I wsant clear. Myself and Wife are silver. The kick to this is that we used miles to upgrade as experience has shown that there is a 0.00003% chance of an upgrade on this route at 2 days out.

The flights almost always are 100% full.

The kids dont have the miles to upgrade but we do.....

Here is the biggest dumb thing of this. I can have each kid bring aboard a full size roll aboard and take up bin space with 3 of these. In fact, If myself and the wife did that as well we can use up space for 5 of these.

Usually we just put that stuff in a checked bag and take up none of the cabin bin space. Weight is weight, and taking up room that more people can use in the cabin overhead is stupid.

So essesntially instead of us putting a bag in the hold, some people wont get what they ned to get in the overhead.

Ridiculous.

That said...

All you need to do (if it is 2) is to NOT UPGRADE one Silver. That Silver gets 2 + 4 for the 2 seats in FC. Sit wherever you want -- it doesn't matter. And yes you can use miles to upgrade people in your party that aren't you, even if you don't upgrade yourself. Honestly this is the better way to do it anyway since you may get the free upgrade (okay, no chance of that if you are only silver but if you were GP/PP/CP maybe).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.